Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Speaking of old franchises...Castlevania on the PS2 in fall '03

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of old franchises...Castlevania on the PS2 in fall '03

From GameSpot:

Konami's classic franchise will debut on the PlayStation 2 in fall 2003.

Konami has announced that the next installment in the Castlevania series will be coming to the PlayStation 2 this fall. While few details are available, it is known that the project will be headed by Koji Igarashi, producer of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PlayStation and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for the Game Boy Advance. The company also revealed that the game will be on display at this year's E3, which will be held at the Los Angeles Convetion center May 14-16.

We'll post more information as it becomes available.
Jeremy
Old 02-24-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder if it'll be 2-D or 3-D? The GBA and PS1 games were both 2-D which leads me to believe this one will be too. Hopefully it'll be better than the crap N64 3-D version.
Old 02-24-03, 04:13 PM

Hopefully 2d, Castlevania is not Castlevania in 3d, its just not natural
Old 02-24-03, 04:28 PM
Banned

Igarashi had NOTHING to do with the n64 version, and he slams that game every chance he gets. He says that he could make a much better 3D Castlevania.

BTW, this new Castlevania will probably be 3D. Igarashi recently said that he thinks Castlevania can be done in 3D, and what he has in mind right now will surprise people.
Old 02-24-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Igarashi is the only one who should be allowed to even attempt a 3D Castlevania.

I can hardly wait to see what he has in mind
Old 02-24-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's 2D.. I'll actually buy a PS2.. if it's 3D.. heh.. another one bites the dust..
Old 02-24-03, 08:56 PM
Suspended

3 words: cel shaded Castlevania.

Old 02-24-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by trigun
3 words: cel shaded Castlevania.

Oh ****.. I think I would cry if they did that!!
Either that, of if it HAS to be 3D at least make sure it doesn't LOOK it (ie: Smash Brothers).. and keep the game 2D.
Old 02-24-03, 10:27 PM
Retired

Please be 2D, and please no cel shading.
Old 02-24-03, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Please be 2D, and please no cel shading.
Come on! Young Simon Belmont with Link's buggin' eyes would rock the casbah!
Old 02-25-03, 12:56 AM

Haha, thinking about that image is funny.
Old 02-25-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Speaking of Castlevania...

From the Castlevania Dungeon...

Not even a year has passed since Harmony of Dissonance had been released, and news comes floating about the third Gameboy Advance Castlevania game. Entitled Aria of Sorrow, this most recent sequel takes place in year 2035. Soma Cruz, a high school foreign exchange student studying in Japan, and his friend Mina Hakuba collapse during the first eclipse of the new century, only to awaken inside a mysterious castle. A stranger who calls himself Genya Arikado begins to explain that the couple is in Dracula's castle, inside the solor eclipse, but before he can elaborate, monsters attack and poison Mina. As it turns out, Dracula had finally been defeated in 1999, and the castle sealed inside the sun. It's up to Soma to find the cure, and leave Castlevania alive. Unlike the other games in the series, there seems to be plenty of supporting characters, including Yoko Belnades, the apparerent descendent of Sypha.
Contrary to what might think, Aria of Sorrow doesn't feature laser whips or guns or anything to that extent - the atmosphere is pure old-school gothic, and the intro seems to suggest some ties to Japanese mythology, which is a big move from the usual European style we're used to. This move was apparently done to place the series as far away from the Belmont familyline as possible (those cries you hear are a thousand fanboys screaming in agony.) Series artist Ayami Kojima is doing the character designs once again as well.

And the gameplay? Though some people seem to tire of the so-called "Castletroid" type of games (that focus heavily on exploration rather than traditional side-scrolling gameplay), we once again seen the RPG-type gameplay from Symphony, Circle, and Harmony. However, the biggest change is that you can absorb the souls of enemies and gain their powers, Mega Man-style. There are four different types of souls that you can equip, which range from special skills (like dashing and swimming) to stat modifiers to special attacks (daggers, crosses and the like) and summons. There are apparently over one hundred of these souls (outweighing even the DSS system of Circle of the Moon) and you can trade these powers with other players over the GBA link cable. Soma also attacks with a variety of weapons, similar to Alucard, rather than brandishing the traditional whip. Apparently the forward dash from Harmony has been taken out, but the backward dash (similar to Symphony) remains once you find a certain soul. The graphics look just as sweet as Harmony's, and the music quality has been upgraded quite a bit too, so no more Gameboy Color synth, thankfully. Composer Michiru Yamane, who worked on Symphony of the Night, will also do the entire soundtrack.

While everyone is still anxious about a next generation Castlevania, it's very nice to have these yearly games to fulfill our lust for gothic goodness. And the design team seems to be implementing new ideas and themes to keep it from feeling rehashed. The game is currently due for a May 6th release in North America, with no information on the Japanese version yet revealed.

pics...

Art work
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev.../art-soma1.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev.../art-soma2.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev...a/art-yoko.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlev...ria/art-47.jpg

-zero
Old 02-25-03, 02:41 AM
Banned

IMO, Castlevania can be done in 3D just as well as Mario can.

Meaning it will different but still great.
Old 02-25-03, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Castlevania in 3D... Big

Some things were never meant to be changed.

-k
###
Old 02-25-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see how they can translate a whip into 3D with any sort of accuracy. Even 3D swordplay is tricky especially with the size, number and movement Castlevania enemies traditionally have. I can't imagine a camera being functional and the game feeling like Castlevania.

Since Igarashi is doing it, there will be a level of quality, just nothing like the high res 2D game I want.

3D updates/sequels that I have preferred to the 2D originals - 0
Old 02-25-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't see how they can translate a whip into 3D with any sort of accuracy
The upcomming Indiana Jones game looks promising, and he uses a whip for many things in that game.

Even 3D swordplay is tricky especially with the size, number and movement Castlevania enemies traditionally have.
Yeach back and forth is reeeeaaal tricky. I guess you havent played Devil May Cry.

I can't imagine a camera being functional and the game feeling like Castlevania.
Yeah camera work is always a pain in 3D adventure games, but Im sure it can be done.

Since Igarashi is doing it, there will be a level of quality, just nothing like the high res 2D game I want.
I'd be worried if Akklaim was doing it, but its still too early to tell if this game will be 2D or 3D, all we can do is hope right?
Old 02-26-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They'll probably just make it a 2-D/3-D combo like Contra : Shattered Soldier.

If not, well.... all I have to say is Metroid Prime. I loves me some Castlevania! Keep the games comin'!!!
Old 02-26-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After playing Rygar I could see a 3d castlevania or DMC they could take a few ideas from these games and make one,I think it would rock but ether way im buying it.
Old 02-26-03, 04:31 PM

If it's 3d, it'll most likely be like Metroid Prime. Except I don't know how they're going to do the super jump... If it's 2d it'll just be another SofN with the tried and true 2d gameplay.
Old 02-26-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I would love to see another 2-D Castlevania on a next-gen system like the PS2, GC or X-Box.

Here's what they could do to improve it and make the leap into something different:

Give it the look/resolution of the new Guilty Gear games - with maybe a little 3-D thrown in just for special effects and give all the characters the same awesome animations as seen in Street Fighter 3.

That alone would definitly give Castlevania a boost to the next-gen.
Old 02-26-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the 2D/3D is probably the best way to go if they were too add some kind of graphical boost. 3D didn't work so well in C64. The whip used some kind of targeting system like Zelda but didn't work nearly as well.

Still, I'd be just as happy if they kept it 2D but improved the graphics to (as slop101) suggested, Guilty Gear quality. Either way I can't wait to see this one.