Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Capcom ends Gamecube Exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Capcom ends Gamecube Exclusivity

From GameInformer:
Capcom is saying that four of its recently announced games are not Gamecube exclusive, as previously reported. Killer 7, P.N. 03, Viewtiful Joe, and Dead Phoenix from Capcom's Production Studio 4 will be available to other consoles. Although the company has no plans at the moment, these may initially appear exclusively on the GCN before being ported to other systems. Capcom states that the false information was due to a miscommunication on its part. At this time, only Resident Evil 4 is definitely slated solely for the GCN.
That's good news for me cuz those games looked cool. The article also notes that the producer of P.N. 03 is redesigning the game because it's too much like Devil May Cry.
Old 02-19-03, 06:19 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sucks from a business standpoint for Nintendo.

Don't care personally, as they're still coming to the GC AFAIK and none of them had caught my interest yet (though to be fair I haven't seen/read much about them yet either).
Old 02-19-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Sucks from a business standpoint for Nintendo.

Don't care personally, as they're still coming to the GC AFAIK and none of them had caught my interest yet (though to be fair I haven't seen/read much about them yet either).
hmm... guess you missed the other thread about these games. they all look pretty damn cool. Even in that thread Flay rounded up an article that indicated the exclusivity might not be for real, but now at least we know for sure these games will be multiplatform.
Old 02-19-03, 06:30 PM
Retired

Yeah, that thread was pretty much all I've seen on them. Didn't seem like anything ground breaking to me. But certainly I'll reserve judgement until I've tried them out. Except for maybe Viewtiful Joe. A cel-shaded beat'em doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
Old 02-19-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the love of all that is holy, I just want to play Devil May Cry on anything other than a Playstation!!

(Oops, off topic?)
Old 02-19-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capcom realized that none of these games were going to sell much on Cube. Smart move.

I'm very excited about Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7.
Old 02-19-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Say it ain't so! Pixyboi actually likes a game on the PS2
Old 02-19-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS2 third party licensing staff called Devil May Cry 2 "Devil Make Us Cry" because it was a buggy nightmare... There's a little 'fun fact' for ya.
Old 02-19-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is old news.

P.N. 03 is comes out next month in Japan, I don't see how they could redesign the whole game in a month. Besides, Shinji Mikami and Hiroyuki Kobayashi, the director and main producer of this game also were key developers of Devil May Cry.
Old 02-19-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If Nintendo gets them first for awhile it will still help them. What has killed Nintendo is getting muliconsole titles a few months after everyone else. By then you've played them and why pick it up on GameCube.
Old 02-19-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
So does this mean REZ Evil games for XBOX?
Old 02-19-03, 08:48 PM
Banned

Am I correct in saying that Viewtiful Joe was created by the same people who made the original DMC?
Old 02-19-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
So does this mean REZ Evil games for XBOX?
Apparently not. For now RE 4 is still exclusive to GameCube.
Old 02-19-03, 09:14 PM

Am I correct in saying that Viewtiful Joe was created by the same people who made the original DMC?
I think so, thats what I heard. Some people attribute this to dmc2's lackluster product, cause the orginal team was working on Joe.
Old 02-19-03, 09:25 PM

Guess Capcom wanted more money then the games woudl generate on the cube alone, good move .
Old 02-19-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lampei
Say it ain't so! Pixyboi actually likes a game on the PS2
There's a couple actually.. but I've got to be discreet about it.
Old 02-19-03, 10:10 PM

They make it sound like a game being too much like DMC is a bad thing. Personally, I think DMC2 wasnt too much like the original. Now that I know PM 03 is made by the same team as DMC, I will be waiting that quite anxiously.
Old 02-19-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
too bad. I was looking forward to these titles to bolster the already pretty good exclusive line up for the GCN. oh well. at least we will still be able to play it.
Old 02-20-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nintendo sure is losing a lot of third party vendors
Old 02-20-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Capcom has not announced these games for any other console. There are plenty of Capcom PS2 games that are not exclusive to the PS2 and have yet to see a release on other consoles.

Games such as Devil May Cry series and Maximo are not part of any exclusive deal with Sony. Yet these games have still not appeared on Xbox or GC.

It still is great news for Nintendo that these games will appear first on Gamecube.
Old 02-20-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CreatureX
Well Capcom has not announced these games for any other console. There are plenty of Capcom PS2 games that are not exclusive to the PS2 and have yet to see a release on other consoles.

Games such as Devil May Cry series and Maximo are not part of any exclusive deal with Sony. Yet these games have still not appeared on Xbox or GC.

It still is great news for Nintendo that these games will appear first on Gamecube.
that's a good point, but then why would Capcom go out of their way to make it clear that they aren't GCN exclusive?
Old 02-20-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
that's a good point, but then why would Capcom go out of their way to make it clear that they aren't GCN exclusive?
Maybe because when people thought they were gamecube exclusive, they started a crap-load of internet rumors that Nintendo was buying Capcom and they wanted to put them to rest? No idea, it would be sort of weird to announce that they aren't exclusive and then not release them on other consoles though, wouldn't it?

As for the news, I don't really think its that big of a deal. at least we know that they will be developed for the Cube first, so the other incarnations of them will be ports to the other systems, which can have disastrous consequences (Ghost Recon on GCN anyone?) its always been my opinion that the console the game was originally developed for usually gets the best version.... but who knows.
Old 02-20-03, 07:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by edytwinky
Nintendo sure is losing a lot of third party vendors
They haven't lost anything. They are still getting these games, which were never intended to be exclusive in the first place (just time exclusive). Microsoft didn't "lose" Splinter Cell when the game was announced for other consoles.
Old 02-20-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by huh?
at least we know that they will be developed for the Cube first
That's just speculation on behalf of the article - Capcom hasn't announced plans to give them a time-exclusive or even to release it first on the GCN. For all we know, Capcom could release all these games on all 3 systems at the same time or maybe even release them on the Dreamcast first. Nobody knows yet.
Old 02-21-03, 02:14 PM

Sweet, where did you hear that they're coming out on the Dreamcast first? :-)

Originally posted by Trigger
That's just speculation on behalf of the article - Capcom hasn't announced plans to give them a time-exclusive or even to release it first on the GCN. For all we know, Capcom could release all these games on all 3 systems at the same time or maybe even release them on the Dreamcast first. Nobody knows yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.