Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What type of game is Everquest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of game is Everquest?

I've heard about this game Everquest Online for PS2. What type of game is it exactly? Is it a turn based Final Fantasy RPG or is it more a real time combat style?
Old 02-11-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an MMORPG. What that basically means is that you are in a world with hundreds (or thousands+) of other people. It is a real-time game that has RPG elements. You can join up with people, fight enemies alone, etc. It is difficult to explain because I never played Evercrack when it was on PC...nor will I do so here.

I'm sure some of the more veteran Everquest players can comment on it.
Old 02-11-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
With nicknames like evercrack....it's highly addictive.
Old 02-11-03, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've only played the PC version, so I don't know what the PS2 version is like. If you are married, I recommend you sign the divorce papers NOW, before you play. That way it doesn't take away from any of your game time.
Old 02-11-03, 11:31 AM

is anyone gonna get this? I can't figure out whether to get it or not, mostly due to the monthly fee, which i've heard will be about $10, but no one has confirmed.

I never played this on the pc or know anyone that has, is this a fun game? will it be worth the monthly fee?

Thanks
Old 02-11-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MMORPG - Massively MMultiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

If you know what a MUD is, think of it like a first-person MUD.
Old 02-11-03, 12:35 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I haven't played MUD's in forever.......einTier, thanks for bringing back the memories.

(Note: I totally blame MUD's for causing me to fail that English class when I was in College. )
Old 02-11-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What type of game is Everquest?

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I've heard about this game Everquest Online for PS2. What type of game is it exactly? Is it a turn based Final Fantasy RPG or is it more a real time combat style?
If it's anything like the PC edition, it's a totally real time roleplaying game. You exist in Norrath once you log in and choose your server/character. You can sit down and do nothing, you can decide to find a group and go hunting, work on a quest, you can decide to hunt for materials to train up your tradeskills, you can just sit and fish, you can chat, join a guild, make friends, influence people and other things. There's a lot of info to absorb initially, however, the system is not difficult to master. Hours will just fly by because there's ALWAYS something to do. A credit to the developers that all of the classes are noticeably different AND fun to play. Speaking of which, as I recall, there are 13 character classes in the PS2 version (I think there are 16 in the PC version) - was wondering which ones were cut.
Old 02-11-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have only played the PC game. If the PS2 one is half as addictive, I don't think I want to play it.

Basically, it's kind of an RPG in the sense of stat points and equipment and all that. It doesn't really tell a very coherent story though (or at least not one that most people will ever pick up on, without reading somewhere else).

Edit: As far as the $10 a month, in EQPC that was pretty cheap, because EQ was so all encompassing, that I didn't buy other games, rent videos, and I was somewhat resistant to going to movies and stuff on the weekends. Luckily, I'm still married after all that.

Why so addictive? I don't know all the reasons but some of them are

-"keeping up with the Joneses" (i.e., since you all play together, you kind of want to keep up with people you meet). For a while, towards the end, I was playing 6 hours a day and still falling behind friends I played with because they played 8 or 10 or more.

- since there's no real endgame, or if there is, it gets changed when people get close, the goals for many become equipment and levels. These can both be very time consuming to get.

-the fact that it can be hard to get a good group so when you do, you don't want to leave it (some things take multiple people or even multiple groups to do),

-distances involved (it can take an hour to get where you want to be)

-the biggest one, at least in EQPC, some things only show up rarely--there were items that a 12 hour wait was considered short, and since it is first come, first served, you can't just log off and come back in a few hours, since someone else will see the empty spot and "camp" it. Hopefully, this is less bad in EQPS2, as the downtime can be tremendous.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-11-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-11-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know how you go to work day after day, doing the same thing for 8 straight hours - stuff that really doesn't require any skill to do, just time and effort? Well thats what Everquest is like. However, unlike a real job where they pay you big $$ to do tedious, unchallenging work, Everquest makes you pay them $10 for the privilege of doing it.

Heh, as you can see I don't think very highly of most MMORPGs.
Old 02-11-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea there were so many closet Everquest fans here. So any one getting it for the PS2? Sounds like most people are steering clear just because of fear of getting addicted! That's a good testament to the game. Never played it myself.
Old 02-11-03, 01:54 PM

If I had a ps2, I would get it just for the fact that it's a new game based after the pc version and I'd not played it. The 10$ a month fee is to pay for the servers and what not although unlike pc, I'm unsure what kind of support you can expect and what type of updates you will get. Basically, I enjoy paying for any game so as to :
1- not have to deal with cheaters
2- not have to deal with too many kids

I doubt it will follow the pc version, but if so, get it early to go through the development or you will end up a low level player in a high level game. The pc version is now mostly high level and the majority of new contact is based for high level so starting now is pointless.
Old 02-11-03, 02:09 PM

re. Everquest

Jeraden and Ginwen said it all
Old 02-11-03, 02:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree with those that say the game is addictive, but not in a good way. The design is such that it's simply impossible to sit down for 30 minutes and have a good time. You'd be lucky to have your group together after 30 minutes. Lots and lots of "busy work," very little "play."

I'm talking PC version. I have no idea what the PS2 version is like (differences, etc).
Old 02-11-03, 03:18 PM

it should be pointed out that the first month is supposed to be free...
Old 02-11-03, 03:22 PM
Banned

i wanna play this game or some online rpg where you just run around with a whole lot of people but i dont know if its worth it to pay 10 bucks every month maybe like 3 bucks would be fair.unless your a real video game addict and play alot.
Old 02-11-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having the PC version already (and Earth and Beyond) that I barely have enough time to devote to, I doubt I will buy the PS2 version.
Old 02-12-03, 09:57 AM
Banned

I was playing this game during the beta test phase and had a complete blast. I'm looking forward to playing this when it comes out. I've never played the PC verision so I can't compare, though I will say you can do most of the things Stingo mentioned in an earlier phase, except for fishing and player vs player combat.

There is a $10 a month free and first month is free. The game is $39 at BestBuy this week $49 everywhere else. Here's a link for more information http://eqoa.crgaming.com/
Old 02-12-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How will it work for the PS?

Isn't the main part of the game the COMMUNITY? How can
you do that without a keyboard?
Old 02-12-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
People say it's a bit easier than EQPC to play for 30 minutes and put down. Only time will tell, though.

Anyway, in addition to 39.99 at BB, it's 49.99 at Circuit City, with a one month prepaid EQ card, which is worth like 9.95, so basically the same price.
Old 02-12-03, 12:08 PM

I played EQ since the day it came out, three years of fun and wasted time I joined my friend in the beta PS2 version and it seemed easier. 30 minutes was a decent amount of time to get something going. Although it was kind of spartan compared to EQPC. Should be worth your money though.
Old 02-12-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone's played the console version, what classes to they have?

And gapere - they don't have a book to give the Priest of Discord? (to make you a PVP? - heh or maybe even no Priests of Discord either)...

and as for EQPC, pity the poor Trolls who lost their home, Grobb to the Frogloks... man, evil races get NO respect...
Old 02-12-03, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RoQuEr
How will it work for the PS?

Isn't the main part of the game the COMMUNITY? How can
you do that without a keyboard?

The community aspect of the game is what I really enjoy. Haven't played anything like it before. Although you can use your controller for typing, I got a USB keyboard that I plug to the PS2 for chatting.

Originally posted by stingo

If anyone's played the console version, what classes to they have?

And gapere - they don't have a book to give the Priest of Discord? (to make you a PVP? - heh or maybe even no Priests of Discord either)...
Here are the classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Enchanter, Magician, Monk, Necromancer, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Shadow Knight, Shaman, Warrior, Wizard

Here are the races: Barbarian, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Elf, Erudite, Gnome, Halfling, Human, Troll.

PVP is not an option on EQOA at this time. Probably because console gamers would rather bash on each other than grouping and doing quests, etc. IMO. There's some speculation that it will be available at a later time but nothing definite.
Old 02-15-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently quit EQ on the PC after 2 years because the high-end game was more like a JOB then a game, but that's just me

My advice to you Capt. Harlock is to try it and see !!

Norrath is an everchanging world where you can do what you want! Solo or group hunting, quests, dungeon crawling (They are the BEST!), work on some skills (tailoring, pottery, fletching, etc.. but I'm not sure if they have those in the PS2 version).

Anyway I had a BLAST while playing!!

PS: Don't create a female wood elf, you WILL get harassed!! But some dudes might give you free stuff also -lol-
Old 02-15-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the PS2 version have an offline game like PSO or is this STRICTLY an online game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.