Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why aren't PC games on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why aren't PC games on DVD?

I remember when DVD first came out on PC's some years ago there was a lot of hype that soon PC games would come out on DVD. But it hasn't happened. Anyone know why not? Why not just release a game on one DVD instead of multiple CD's?
Old 01-31-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowest common denominator. Everyone has a CD-ROM drive. Not everyone has a DVD-ROM drive.

Imagine the returns and confusion.

Those games that have TONS of graphics etc. do come out on DVD, I remember a couple of titles but can't recall which ones.
Old 01-31-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This will happen in a year or two, but right now a ton of us still use cdroms
Old 01-31-03, 03:58 PM
razorbackfan

I got Wing Commander pc game on DVD with my Creative Blaster 2x DVD drive many years ago.
Old 01-31-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
because most PC games don't run off the CD and install files can be compressed - so most games can fit on a couple of CDs rather than a DVD and CDs are much cheaper to produce than DVDs. Even if the game files are so large that they span 4 or 5 discs, it still will be much cheaper using CDs than DVDs. Plus, the fact that not quite everyone has a DVDRom - many people go with a CD-RW Drive instead of a DVD Drive. Anyway - there's lots of reasons. It'll be awhile before it becomes a standard for PC games.
Old 01-31-03, 05:41 PM
zig

I think they should switch to DVD. Sure, not everyone has a DVDRom. Not everyone has a geforce3 either, but they still make games that require them. If you build it, they will come. Or something.
Old 01-31-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by zig
I think they should switch to DVD. Sure, not everyone has a DVDRom. Not everyone has a geforce3 either, but they still make games that require them. If you build it, they will come. Or something.
video cards aren't the same as optical drives... games may have video requirements because the graphics are better, but if you can put a game out on 3 CDs and it's much cheaper and more compatible than one DVD, then it makes a much more sensible choice for the publisher.
Old 01-31-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I remember my copy of Tex Murphy: Overseer came with both CDs and a DVD. The DVD version supposedly had better quality cinematics. I should fire that game up to see how it looks.

I too think it'll be awhile before CDs are phased out in favor of DVDs. There were still floppy based versions of games long after CD-ROMs were out. DVD-ROMs are much slower to catch on than CR-ROMs were.

Still, with multi-CD games all over the place, and boxes getting smaller (and unfortunately, as a result so are manuals), hopefully it's only a matter of time before it switches. I don't know about you, but I hate getting CDs in a stupid paper sleeve instead of a jewel box.
Old 01-31-03, 06:07 PM

I think the other reason for this has just been lack of consumer demand.

There have been a few titles released on DVD. Wing Commander has been mentioned. There was also a DVD version of Baldur's Gate 1. I've only ever seen one copy of BG DVD on the shelf at an EB, but I believe they also had some kind of mail in option to get your CD's replaced if you were so inclined.

Part of it is also probably cost. Testing games from DVD media is more expensive than CD. The media is more expensive to purchase and more prone to failure. Not to mention that if you're talking DVD-9 then there is not yet a viable option for burning discs in house that I am aware of.

Consumer demand just isn't high enough to justify the cost.

-Naan