Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's going on with Xbox Racing Games?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What's going on with Xbox Racing Games?

So Xbox launched with Project Gotham Racing and it was good... and many are anticipating Project Gotham 2. Need For Speed wasn't winning much praise against the PS2 version. Rallisport Challenge was good, but you have to really like that type of driving. Sega GT 2002 didn't manage to meet expectations and instead met with mixed reviews. With a few exceptions, that's more or less it for the auto-racing games. Nothing that has yet to come close to dethroning Gran Tourismo as the king of driving games. This thread serves no other purpose than to discuss upcoming racing games on the Xbox. I'll kick it off with some screen shots.

February:

Colin McRae Rally 3

Motor Trend Lotus Challenge

Apex

March:

Mercedes-Benz World Racing

Micro Machines
Fuel
Lamborghini
Pro Race Driver
Midtown Madness 3

April:

Midnight Club 2

Misc:

Street Racing Syndicate

Total Immersion Racing
Starsky and Hutch
Moto-X
Flat-Out
Old 01-30-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
midtown madness should be really good if it was done half as well as the PC games are done.
Old 01-30-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed PGR and RSC but I'm really glad I only paid $20 for each. It takes a lot for a racing game to be worth $50. I think that's one of the reasons why people love the GT series so much. It's got 100s of cars, dozens of events, lots of tracks, rally racing, and more. Plus it's the most in-depth of all racing games. It's just not possible to spend more time with another racing game so why buy another racing game?

I've always wanted to try one of the Colin McRae games but compared to GT3 it's only half a game. That Motor Trend game sounds intruiging though. I assume it's gotta be detailed like GT3. Am I right?
Old 01-31-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apex is getting mixed reactions - it's supposed to give GT a run for its money, but we'll see. I see jaggies. :/
Old 01-31-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love racing games. These days they're probably my favorite genre. Xbox has great titles in PGR, Rallisport, and SegaGT2002. What bothers me about the Xbox is that there is no quality steering wheel - so I've been playing my Xbox racers with my control pad while having a lot more fun with my Logitech wheel on my PS2.

Logitech made a wheel for PS2 & Gamecube, but not for Xbox? What's up with that? I want them to make the same wheel for Xbox, or if possible make an adapter so the PS2 wheel will work on the Xbox.
Old 01-31-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being a rally fan, I'm looking forward to Colin McRae over V-Rally 3. The V-Rally series has pretty unforgiving driving physics, and too many flips occur for it to be fun. Colin McRae is more like RalliSport Challenge, but it looks to capture the WRC feeling more with the in-cockpit views with the co-pilot and stuff. Plus the graphics look pretty stunning. Let's just hope it plays as well.

As for other driving games, I'm looking forward to Apex and Midnight Club 2, and hopefully Midtown Madness 3, because of their lush and realistic city environments. My favorite driving game of all time has to be Tokyo Highway Xtreme 2, because nothing beats a customized import speeding through the highways of Tokyo in the dead of night, with the buildings and landmarks of the city illuminating the streets. Plus it played pretty well too...I wish Genki would bring this series to the XBox, but it sounds like it died on the PS2.

Jeremy
Old 01-31-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really liked Rallisport, but I hated Project Gotham.

To be honest, I'm not sure anything will dethrone Gran Turismo. They put a lot of time and effort into making that game a masterpiece. It will take a development studio putting in a year or two getting every detail exactly right. Most racing games I've played seem rushed to market, even Sega GT.

I think in time Xbox will get some solid racers, maybe not a GT3, but close enough to make it enjoyable.
Old 01-31-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still pull PGR out now and then and give it an hour or two. I love that game. And custome coundtracks.. mmm..
Old 01-31-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I really liked Rallisport, but I hated Project Gotham.

Wow...I thought was the only one. I play Rallisport probably more than any other game I have and I never grow tired of it. I tried the demo of the Rally Fusion but just did not like the way it handled as much. Has anyone here played the game extensively or has owned it? I will probably pick it up when it hits $20 or below.

I never could get used to the handling on PGR. Rallisport just seems more fun to me. I am definitely interested in trying the Colin McRae game. A buddy of mine may buy an Xbox just for Midtown Madness. I look forward to some future Xbox Live racing games other than Moto GP (I think that is what it's called).

I have Need for Speed 2 and have really enjoyed it. It takes awhile to get used to the handling but once you get into it, it can get addictive (and those damn cops are relentless). I got Test Drive in a trade and have actually thought it was okay despite most people hating it. You just have to take it as it is...an arcade racer with a bad storyline with hip-hop music. I have liked Test Drive more than Burn-Out which was too easy in my opinion.
Old 01-31-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i really like rallisport... what about rally fusion? i was kind of expecting that to be a good game but it seems to be getting mixed reviews also.
Old 01-31-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I tried the demo of the Rally Fusion but just did not like the way it handled as much. Has anyone here played the game extensively or has owned it? I will probably pick it up when it hits $20 or below.
I haven't played it yet but the game has an average score of 71% (Gamerankings.com).

The lowest price so far is $24.97 (KBToys.com).
Old 02-19-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Group S Challenge (capcom) looks to be a serious contender to dethrone Gran Tourismo. I'll find some screens when I'm not on my laptop.
Old 02-20-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"__________ looks to be a serious contender to dethrone Gran Tourismo."

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that.
Old 02-20-03, 04:44 PM

I just want something with Xbox Live support. If/when GT4 comes out for the PS2 with online play, my Xbox will be lucky to ever be used for a driving game ever again. I know that PGR2 is supposed to have online play but i'm not a fan of the kudos system and, frankly, there is not enough car selection in that game. The 14 or so cars just can't compare to the hundreds available in GT2/3. Not to mention the fact that you can't do anything to the cars in PGR other than a custom license plate <yawn>.

I'd love to see a game like Motor City Online come to the Xbox. A cross between Motor City Online and Gran Turismo with multiplayer online racing would be killer.
Old 02-20-03, 05:04 PM

When is Colin Mcrae 3 coming out? Bestbuy.com says 2.20.03 but none of the stores in my state have it or have any on order.
Old 02-20-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought PGR and RSR for $20 on ebay. The graphics were awesome and the driving expereince pretty decent, but i just couldnt "get" into them.

I played burnout on my friends GC and fell in love with it. I picked it up for $9.99 at BB used.

I guess i am not a fan of "total immersion" racing of Gran Turismo and the other wannbe GT's.

I am more into "fun" and less technical driving games. I enjoy mario kart, diddy kong, etc --> so i guess that is why burnout appeals to me.

Quite frankly i am not looking forward to any of the potential releases, however I may seriously consider buying a racing game that can be played on xBox LIVE.
Old 02-20-03, 06:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Jason, I thought I was the only one who didn't like GT3!
Old 02-20-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you serious? Lots of people hate GT3. I assume that's due to the high difficulty level, steep learning curve, and all that techincal stuff.
Old 02-20-03, 09:58 PM

my question is, are there any XBOX Live enabled racing game out or comming out soon? I would really like to get one of these....
Old 02-20-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apex looks incredible.... I want to see how well it plays tho.
Old 02-20-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dtsmovieguy
my question is, are there any XBOX Live enabled racing game out or comming out soon? I would really like to get one of these....
Get MotoGP for your Online fix. It's a motorcycle but it is still great online racing action.
Old 02-21-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm worried about Apex. It's been out for days and not a single review?

D
Old 02-21-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great graphics for a lot of these games, interested to see how they play
Old 02-21-03, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by edstein
Get MotoGP for your Online fix. It's a motorcycle but it is still great online racing action.
I got it and I love it - it so smooth and fast. I wasn't clear in my post, I was refering automobiles, boats, snowboarding, flyers, etc...

I mean, can you imagine playing something like Gran Turismo, Need for Speed 2 or SSX on LIVE... something along those lines. If they can make MOTO GP online, then the others should be an option, IMO...
Old 02-21-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for starting the thread.

I just picked up my Xbox and PS2 at Christmas, finally had money for them, and despite the fact I am a huge racing fan, all I currently have is Sega GT. I personnaly love the game. I must state I am a big Sega fan though.

I want to pick up GT3, see what all the fuss is about, but I am in no real hurry. Hate the PS2 controller, no calibrated triggers.

Colin McRae Rally 3 and Apex look rather interesting in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.