Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX -- Outlaw Golf -- ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XBOX -- Outlaw Golf -- ??

So who is going to be picking up this little gem on tuesday? I am hoping I can catch on a $40 sale...

-Jordan

ps...Does anyone else look at Flays release list more than once a day?
Old 06-06-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
I am with you as well. I am also looking forward to Test Drive. Maybe someone will have a buy 2 special.

Hell, I'm still having trouble finding Hunter around me. It has been sold out everywhere. Granted, most places probably did not order a ton of it.
Old 06-06-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is test drive a simulation similar to the old PC game? Or is it a different concept entirely?
Old 06-06-02, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've already got mine reserved at Gamestop. It's the first golf game for the Xbox too.

Every review I've read has been positive!!!!!

It surpises me that the hype of this game is kinda low, at least compared to some titles that come out. Hopefully this will be the surprise game of the year.
Old 06-06-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know if I'm going to like this one. It looks like Jerry Springer's "Hot Shots Golf."
Old 06-06-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
I don't know if I'm going to like this one. It looks like Jerry Springer's "Hot Shots Golf."
Yeah evidently it plays alot like Hot Shots Golf...which is a good thing! The HOTT female golfers and the fighting will just be an extra.
Old 06-06-02, 01:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Anybody got a link to a reputable review? The game looks interesting but it seems to me that the "beat up your caddy" novelty would grow old quickly.
Old 06-06-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Anybody got a link to a reputable review? The game looks interesting but it seems to me that the "beat up your caddy" novelty would grow old quickly.
I read a preview a while back at either gamespot or ign, that said you can turn off the 'beat up your caddy' thing...it may have changed though.
Old 06-06-02, 01:59 PM

I'm all over it....ANY golf game for XBOX at this point would be good to me.
Old 06-06-02, 02:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by boobietheclown
I read a preview a while back at either gamespot or ign, that said you can turn off the 'beat up your caddy' thing...it may have changed though.
I read that too...my main concern is that how well does it play as a straight golf game. Did the developers sacrifice that element to work on the goofy stuff or will I still be playing it long after I tire of "Outlaw" portion of the game?
Old 06-06-02, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I read that too...my main concern is that how well does it play as a straight golf game. Did the developers sacrifice that element to work on the goofy stuff or will I still be playing it long after I tire of "Outlaw" portion of the game?
I agree. It seems like it's more WWF than PGA; but hopefully the options will allow you to dictate how you want to play....it's nice to know tiger woods is coming down the pike around 2003
Old 06-06-02, 02:39 PM

got this from: http://www.avault.com/consoles/previ...p?game=outlawg

Review by: Mike Laidlaw
Published: April 11, 2002

Golf comes in many flavors. You've got real golf, which involves a whole lot of walking and a little bit of hitting a ball past some trees or over water. Then you've got Mario Golf, which is much the same but involves giant apes and dinosaurs, though no Tigers, which can only be found on the pro circuit. Rounding out the pack, you can even have mildly silly golf, such as Hot Shots Golf's large-headed and exaggerated characters. Yes, video gamers know that golf comes in a lot of flavors, but most of them have just been variations on vanilla. By comparison, Simon and Schuster's new Outlaw Golf is a dark chocolate ripple with butterscotch, nuts and some sort of unidentifiable crunchy candy mixed into the works.

The premise behind Outlaw Golf is simple: the least likely collection of courses and golfers have been drawn together for your putting pleasure, with the end result being a send up of the sport's normally high-class veneer. Take the first character in the roster, for instance, a charming belle named Harley. Raised with a wrench in one hand and a club in the other, Harley's skills at bike repair, beer swilling, bar room brawling and chip shots are just about equal. Of course, she doesn't travel alone, and her hard-living, van-dwelling husband Snake accompanies her to every event as a caddy. Also available as playable characters are El Suave and El Ramone, the only duo on the links who can pose at all times during a golf swing, Mistress Suki and her consensual servant Puddin', and the wannabe rapper Ice Trey complete with his caddy, Fresh Fruit. Ranging from serial killers let loose on a technicality to Scummy O'Doole, the famed scottish soccer hooligan, you can find virtually every misfit and malcontent you never thought would appear on a golf course happily ignoring their divots in Outlaw Golf.

As might be expected with such a motley crew, decorum on the course goes out the window and a level head is a rare thing. To represent this temperamental nature, Outlaw Golf uses a fairly unique composure meter. Similar to various systems that measure a team's momentum in other sports titles, your composure represents how into the game your golfer is. With high composure, their head is together and they are playing inside the zone. At the other end of the spectrum, fuming tempers and rushed shots worsen their play. This, of course, translates directly into a game mechanic, and your golfer's skills will be dynamically affected by how they're composing themselves.

Since poor play breeds poor composure and vice-versa, you tend to go on hot or cold streaks as you play through the links. If you manage to drive every shot off the tee at full power and avoid any bunkers or the deep rough, you'll slowly end up in this zen-like place. Once there, your shots will drop straight into the pocket, your distances will adjust themselves even if you fudge the controls a bit and the wind will be less of a factor. With low composure, though, perfectly executed shots will be moderately successful, while any mistake on the player's part will be heavily penalized.

Of course, there's an easy way to get your composure back. You simply have to take out your frustration somewhere and relax a bit. Luckily for these hotheaded players, their caddies are not only nearby at all times, but also weighted down with golf clubs, making them easy to catch. These relaxation sessions are more accurately described by Outlaw Golf as "beatings," and you can elect to administer one so long as you have a beating token. You begin with only one of these precious disks, but well played holes will award you with more for future use. In order to execute this thrashing, you need to follow the tried and true golf-game practice of clicking at the right place as an indicator moves back and forth across a target bar. With proper timing and good reflexes you can use this bit of corporal punishment to take your golfer's mood all the way from outraged to enthusiastic. As might be expected, each duo's routines vary during these beatings, with Madame Suki's whippings carrying an entirely different tone from Summer and Autumn, two Ph.D students who moonlight as exotic dancers and who get into a wholesale cat fight complete with hair pulling and slaps.

For all its lurid pageantry, Outlaw Golf is still about properly playing the links. Mechanically, the gameplay is similar to the new wave of golf titles: you pull back on the analog stick to power the swing and then flick it forward to make the shot. Obviously, timing is a major issue here, but like the Golden Tee series of arcade machines you also have to worry about accuracy as you flick forward. The golfer's abilities and clubs also determine how well you play, as the higher caliber clubs tend to hit further or more accurately, but are less forgiving than their novice counterparts. Composure also plays a major role in your strokes as outlined above, making a round of Outlaw Golf a unique experience to say the least. It's not too often you can refer to "strategic beatings" in a game and have it make sense.

Keeping with the overall theme, the courses match up with the contestants, and you'll marvel at the individually rendered blades of grass in the rough and the trees that sway gently in the breeze. Of course, with the inclusion of courses like the Crusty Leaf Country club which prominently features the deepest, darkest parts of the Deep South, you'll also be able to distract yourself reading the graffiti tags inscribed under the freeway in Turnpike Valley, or watch as blimps advertising all sorts of unlikely products sail over the El Diablo desert courses. Other visual effects include incredibly emotive and smoothly animated characters, along with asides that show you their thoughts on the latest hole. In addition to this the course designers have included special trails that indicate superbly struck balls, along with fireworks for particularly well played holes.

Overall Thoughts: Outlaw Golf is the only take on the noble sport of golfing to date that features characters as sexy as its visuals. Throwing the decorum of golf into the nearest water hazard, this cast of misfits ranges from bikers to a dominatrix. Similarly, the courses feature such exotic locations as the grassy fields under Jersey turnpikes and country clubs that have barely broached the cultural advances of the 19th century, let alone our own modern age. These stunning visuals and strong characters are complimented by an equally hardy golfing game that blends intuitive controls with a unique composure bar that represents your character's current state of mind. You can even release some tension by beating the living daylights out of your caddy, making this the first full-contact golf title ever. Hitting stores this May, Outlaw Golf looks set to make a clean get-a-way with more than a few gamers' bankrolls when it hits store shelves.

Features:

Photo realistic golfing environments, complete with transformer stations, turnpikes and trailer parks.
A motley crew of characters ranging from bikers to ex-convicts.
The first full body contact golfing game, allowing you to beat up your caddy to relax.
An emotion system that adjusts your player's performance based on their mood.
Driving ranges, exhibition matches, tournaments and more.
Up to four simultaneous players.
Hilarious voice overs, characters and announcers.
Old 06-06-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...

not to sure now. it sounds more like you have to deal with the beatings and such as a function of the game. i may have to rent this one first.

Thanks for the review!
Old 06-06-02, 07:01 PM

Since I haven't played it, I'm not sure about that either. But the way I understand it, beating up your caddy is just a way to make your player better and not a necessity to play the game. If you get good enough at the controls, and are not shanking balls all day, you may have good composure for the whole game. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-06-02, 09:54 PM

WAIT!!!!!

I think your answer may be here...

For those select few that may not have played a golf game before, is there a way to turn off the CRS? If not, is there a tutorial scenario to help the newbies get the *ahem* swing of Golf games?

We have both. Players will be able to turn composure and beatings off. In addition we have a series of funny animated tutorials that explain how everything works.

and there is WAY more here: http://www.xboxaddict.com/interviews...nterview_ID=20
Old 06-07-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not enough of a golf fan to justify 2 golf games anyway, but I'll probably stick with Hot Shots Golf 3. It seems like the schtick would get old.
Old 06-07-02, 07:31 PM

well at least rent it when it comes out, you might find out you like it.
Old 06-07-02, 08:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Personally I'd rather actually *go* golfing than play a video game of golfing.
Old 06-07-02, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Personally I'd rather actually *go* golfing than play a video game of golfing.
Well, of course, but I'm never gonna shoot even par in real life
Old 06-08-02, 12:45 AM

never say never...
Old 06-08-02, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Astro44
never say never...
I'm going out for a lesson today, got to take that next step. I'm tired of having to hit fairway woods for my second shot

As long as I keep beating my dad, though, I can't really complain.
Old 06-09-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Been on my radar for a long time - I hate golf and this is the perfect game for me. What? I get to beat the crap out of my caddie? Count me in!
Old 06-09-02, 03:51 PM

The official Outlaw Golf website can be found here:

http://www.outlawgolfthegame.com

ENJOY!!!!
Old 06-11-02, 06:35 AM

Soooo......anyone picking it up today? Let us know how it plays! And where's the best deal??
Old 06-11-02, 02:58 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dglaser6
Soooo......anyone picking it up today? Let us know how it plays! And where's the best deal??
Like to see some reviews as well. Who's got it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.