Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX -- Outlaw Golf -- ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My local EB told me it wouldn't be there until tomorrow (Wed). I plan on going in and picking it up then. Just checked EB's site and says 6/11 is the ship date so hopefully it will be there tomorrow. Also noticed they have added a listing for OUTLAW VOLLEYBALL don't know if that will be able to compete with Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Last edited by Edison; 06-11-02 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the latest 2 reviews I found at EBgames.com couldn't be more different...

A customer on 6/11/2002 writes:
OH, NO THIS IS BAD...
This is just plain horrible. 3 courses, all look the same. The fighting and such is complete nonsense. It looks pretty good but after an hour I am off to return it. Thought I was lucky getting it today. I was wrong.

A customer on 6/11/2002 writes:
FUN
A great game to play at home. If you're a real golf fan, then go golf, otherwise sit back and enjoy the video game.
Old 06-12-02, 08:11 PM

Reviews have been great as of today, EVERYBODY give this when a try, either rent it or buy it A.S.A.P!!!
Old 06-13-02, 12:11 AM

I wouldn't even bother reading EBGames reviews. The more you see, I think you'll realize as a whole, they're quick impressions and nothing more than that, if EVEN that most of the time.
Old 06-13-02, 07:46 AM

check out the reviews at gamefaqs.com
Old 06-13-02, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Only three courses? That's kind of a downside...
Old 06-13-02, 09:54 AM

There is only 3 courses but it is 54 holes. The game is pretty cool I got it last night.
Old 06-13-02, 12:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

If they are 3 really well done courses then it's no big deal. I remember when Links 386 only came with Harbor Town and you had to buy extra courses for $20 a piece.
Old 06-13-02, 09:30 PM

they are definitly 3 well done courses. It's not an easy game to master either, especially putting.
Old 06-13-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got this game on Wednesday and have been playing it nonstop. It's a really great golf game.
It takes a while to get used to the control scheme and the putting is somewhat difficult in the beginning, but if you read all the instructions and use the guides (the three X buttons), putting becomes second nature after a while. It's actually a pretty fun system of putting.
What kind of bothered me when I first started playing was how fast the green was. The ball would bounce around and roll like crazy, even with drastic amounts of spin put on the ball. Like any game though, it just takes getting used to.
If you like golf games you have to get this game simply because of the large amount of features in it. There are like 6 different types of multiplayer games you can play, and all of them are pretty fun. Then there's the tour games, which involve competing with the computer in holes and other mini games such as driving the ball as far as you can for points, putting, and chipping. Overall, there's so much packed into this game that if you get bored with playing regular golf, you know there are other mini-games within it.
Some people will like the "beating up your caddy" feature and some won't. Thankfully you can turn it off.
This game is a tad challenging at first, but once you get into it you won't want to stop. It's really a great game
Old 06-14-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Edison
don't know if that will be able to compete with Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball.
I saw it with my own eyes at E3 and I still can't believe that's even seriously being developed as a game. I still think it's a joke. I mean, why not just have a game called "Extreme Girls Jumping On Trampolines?" It's certainly not looking as if it's about gameplay - so far there are no male characters. I mean, for 50 bucks I can get a few lapdances instead of a video game with computer generated females. Bobbling boobies have always been a selling point with teens though, so it'll probably sell well... look at the success of Tomb Raider.
Old 06-14-02, 01:44 AM
Mod Emeritus

A good volleyball game is just what the doctor ordered.

Sorry for getting off topic. Hmm... I may have to check out Outlaw golf.
Old 06-14-02, 06:22 AM

I'll tell you what I've been playing for 2 days now and my short game still sucks. But the game is fun to play.
Old 06-14-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only gamestop ordered more than 2 copies...

I have a $22 credit burning a hole in pocket!
Old 06-14-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying it, although I've found it to be rather difficult in some instances. It's a lot harder to land a green with anything longer than a 4 iron because the greens are extremely fast.

I've found the beating up the caddy feature to be pretty much a non-issue. I end up doing it maybe once or twice during a round.

The thing I'm finding most difficult is defeating Mistress Suki in the skins game on the first course. She doesn't screw up very often - I don't think I've ever seen her bogey.
Old 06-14-02, 07:37 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a review from Teamxbox.com:

http://www.teamxbox.com/view_reviews.php?id=350
Old 07-09-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally picked up Outlaw Golf for myself... I really like it. I hate golf as a sport (if you could even call it that) and I've never ever liked a golf game... This one is great though. I'm having fun with it. It's very deep with things to unlock and whatnot - probably on the same level as Tony Hawk in that respect. It would've been nice if there was one or two more courses, but there's no shortage of holes to shoot at and if there were more courses then this game would just take a million years to get through with every character... perhaps if the extra courses were something you could unlock. The characters are great and the fighting is a hoot. After awhile when the fighting grows tiresome, you simply don't have to fight. It's just there as a tension reducer. Your player's composure doesn't really seem to have any effect on your gameplay. Anyway - I like it alot. My roommate and my girlfriend are both indifferent towards it, but I'm sure my other roommate will be into it when he gets back from summer break. Also - I found it pretty easy to get a hang of - The first day with the game was really bad and then once I played a few rounds against the computer, I started picking up where to place the ball and other stuff so now I'm pretty decent. I've gotten as low as a -5 so far and that's not too shabby.
Old 07-09-02, 10:35 AM

I saw it with my own eyes at E3 and I still can't believe that's even seriously being developed as a game. I still think it's a joke.
Singing a different song now. It is a good game. I have 2 people left to unlock. The best I shot so far is -9.

When the your composure is low you have to hit the ball more precise.
Old 07-09-02, 10:40 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was talking about DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball, kegman. Read the post he quoted.
Old 07-09-02, 10:46 AM

my mistake
Old 07-10-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh - yeah - I was talking about another game... I've always wanted to get my hands on Outlaw Golf since I heard of it. I hate golf too... Anyway - today I got -10 on a really hard challenge 18 hole course, so you all must congratulate me. By the way - the new Xbox controller by Interact is totally sweet... some Best Buy dude told me to spend an extra 10 bucks on the microsoft controller, but I'm glad I didn't cuz this thing is my new favorite.
Old 07-10-02, 11:28 AM

This is a long game. It's going to take forever to beat it with every player.
Old 02-09-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 666 Posts
I just wanted to post some cheats for this game that is in the new OXM. If you are like me, you want to play with all the characters but don't have enough time to go thru it the normal way. I had not seen these before so I thought they might help some others out that may have not seen them. I tried them last night and they work like a charm. They are a bunch of other funny characters as well.

I will use a spoilers for the codes so if you did not want to see them, you don't have to. To unlock all the characters, clubs, and course, create a new game and enter
Spoiler:
Golf_Gone_Wild
as the file name. You must enter it exactly as shown.

To unlock the fifth bonus costume for each character enter the following code at the character selection screen
Spoiler:
Hold L and press Y, Y, clear button, Y, black button, Y
. You'll hear a noise confirming the cheat and it will save the costume. Now you can scroll thryu their costumes and coose it if you like.

Hope these helps any others still playing the game.