Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official The getway thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-19-03, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This game is suppost to be the Next grand theft auto and i hope so. I hope this game will not become a dud like State of emergency. So does anyone have this game yet. And how good is this game.
Old 01-19-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
it doesn't come out until Wednesday.
Old 01-19-03, 03:09 PM

sometimes people get it early, do not know how but they do.
Old 01-19-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
yeah like video game stores and reviewers
Old 01-19-03, 04:04 PM

So...

Any takers?
Old 01-19-03, 04:18 PM

i heard its like grand theft auto but you can go in the buildings too.
Old 01-19-03, 05:14 PM
Banned

Thanks! I'm there on Thursday.
Old 01-19-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to gamerankings.com. This game has been out in England for a while, so there are some reviews of it. Basically, it is averaging about a 76%. What is does well is supposedly great, but there also seems to be alot of problems with it.

I think the coolest part of it is that they actually mapped out pretty much all of London for the city in the game, down to even the store-fronts.
Old 01-20-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But it's NOT free-roaming at the beginning. You have to unlock that option after beating it.

The Getaway has been out for a while on import, and it's good...but not that good. The cars are licensed, which is nice and they take realistic damage. The story is cool.

It's NOT like Grand Theft Auto...so if you go in with that mindset, you'll be real disappointed.
Old 01-20-03, 02:29 AM

We have a store copy at my gamestop of the full version, and from what I have played its really cool. The combat is really great with the ability to hug walls and peek out. I wasn't sure the no onscreen indicators thing would work out, but its really cool. The driving is awesome. In many ways its cooler then the GTA series, but it lacks the free roaming style and all the hidden goodies. BTW the graphics are very good as well, for a PS2 game.

I'm really looking forward to wednesday

*edit* it kind of reminds me of max payne in some ways.
Old 01-20-03, 10:25 PM

Gamestop stores in the Houston area are getting this tomorrow (Tuesday) at 5pm. Most stores only have enough to cover the reserves though...
Old 01-21-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
from what I remember from last years e3, it seemed to have decent graphics and the gameplay was more like a cross between splinter cell, mafia and Metal Gear. It's not like GTA3 at all really. I wasn't all that impressed (just cuz it didn't live up to the hype), but it is certainly one that I want to pick up...
Old 01-21-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamestop just called me, said it will be in at 3pm. I'll post thoughts on it sometime tonight after I get home from work. I wasn't too impressed with the demo, but since Gamestop was doing the trade-in deal, I got rid of some games I don't play anymore in hopes I would enjoy the final.
Old 01-21-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Gamespot gives it a 6.9
Old 01-21-03, 07:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

PS2's first big over-hyped bomb of the year.
Old 01-21-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm about halfway through this game (got it very early) and I like it a lot. As the poster above says, don't go into it thinking GTA. It is actually more Max Payne than GTA, if anything.

Great presentation, good plot, great combat moves, and very good driving missions.
Old 01-21-03, 08:40 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by outcastja
Gamespot gives it a 6.9
I'm very surprised. I had high expectations for this game.
Old 01-21-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think IGN's review goes into a bit more detail and may spell out the issues and positives of this game. I may rent it and then decide whether to buy it or not.
Old 01-21-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But IGN only gave it a 7.0. Not looking too good.
Old 01-22-03, 03:20 AM

Game Informer gives it a 9 and it's their game of the month. Also it gets a 9 on their "second opinion" review. Ironically, the reviews still read like the Gamespot and IGN reviews. They all point out the same flaws and negatives. However, Game Informer was really impressed the presentation and the experience.
Old 01-22-03, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
Game Informer gives it a 9 and it's their game of the month. Also it gets a 9 on their "second opinion" review. Ironically, the reviews still read like the Gamespot and IGN reviews. They all point out the same flaws and negatives. However, Game Informer was really impressed the presentation and the experience.
probably because Game Informer is owned by Gamestop or EB or something... one of those mall game stores. Anyway - they tend to give high praise to whatever is supposed to be *hot* whether it's good or not... they do give bad reviews, but it seems to be only games that were budget to begin with. That's the trend I've noticed anyway - someone else probably will have something completely contradictory to say about that I'm sure.
Old 01-22-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
But IGN only gave it a 7.0. Not looking too good.
The Syphon Filter games always average around 7.0 and are great games....7.0 is above average if you are looking at a scale of 1-10. I will probably give this game a shot once it drops down to the $20.00 price which will happen eventually.
Old 01-22-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

djones,
you should try to trade in 2 of your older PS2 games at gamestop and see if you can get it for free (check out the DMC2 for $9.99 at EB thread) That's what I did
Old 01-22-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've played it for probably 4 hours so far, and I'm on mission 5.
First off, it is nothing like GTA.
The graphics are very nice - excellent job recreating London. The action scenes are fun - sliding along walls, sticking guns around corners, blowing people away, blah blah blah. Pistol whipping is very cool....
Unfortunately, that's about all the good I've come across so far. The static camera sucks when driving, as you can't look to either side, or behind you. Considering London is so huge and you don't have a map, driving missions are a real PITA. One of the stupidest things is that you can't knock down anything(except for street cones). You can be going 90, hit a stop sign, pole, light, whatever, and you come to an instant dead stop. Driving doesn't seem very realistic at times- same crappy sliding as found in Project Gotham Racing, which I despise.
Cutscenes are long, and cannot be skipped.
The AI in the game is horrible - I was surprised to find that pedestrians in The Getaway are even stupider than GTA peds. Enemies do the exact same predictable moves, so if you fail a mission, you know exactly what to expect the next time.
I've encountered quite a few graphical errors in the game.
*Pedestrians walking about 10 feet in the air
*killed one thug with a shotgun - the shotgun fell halfway through the wall, so I couldn't pick it up
*killed same thug again in another attempt - shotgun landed on the bar, so I couldn't pick it up since you can't jump
*I've been shot and pistol whipped through walls - this has caused quite a few deaths
*there was a thug standing outside a restaurant on guard. I take my car, ram him into the wall, and he disappears. I assume he died, so I back up, and he comes walking through the wall, and starts shooting at me. I immediately hit the gas, ram him into the wall, and once again he disappears, then when I reverse he walks out of the wall again, shooting at me. After two more times, he killed me. This happened again when I retried the mission, but the next time I jumped out after he walked through the wall and pistol whipped him a few times.
*a few other instances where thugs walked through walls shooting at me

I don't really understand why they decided to have you heal up by leaning against a wall - it's just as unrealistic as health packs, but 100x more annoying. It does bring tension when you're in a firefight and trying to heal from all your gunshots. However, if you're on the street and you lean against a wall, chances are(this happened practically every time I tried) a passerby will bump into you, knock you off the wall, and you have to repeat the lean/heal process again. Also, I've come across quite a few places where you can lean against a wall, but for some reason there is a glitch where he will lean, back off, lean, back off repeatedly, and never heal.
The ability to run would be nice(as Hammond moves extremely slow), as would the opportunity to pistol whip when on stairs. Alas, it seems you can only manage to raise your arm and hit someone when on level ground.
The targeting system hasn't been a problem at all, as it is better than GTA's. The problem is with the camera - since you can't change view or rotate, someone may come up behind you and shoot, but you can't do a thing about it until you turn around, which causes the camera to bounce around everywhere(especially in a hallway), and not allow you to see your attacker.

Summary: TG is a decent game, but even with all the work that went into it, there are still numerous problems that I find extremely aggravating. I like the on-foot action, but for the most part I despise the driving, which is obviously a large part of the game. If I can manage to keep my wits long enough to finish the game, I'll get rid of my copy then, as I don't think(as of right now) that it is something I would play again.
Old 01-22-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So it's become a rental idea for a number of people?

I picked up DOAX today and talked to the guy about The Getaway. He said that a few people who bought it last night already had brought it before noon the next day to trade it. After hearing that I was pretty bummed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.