Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Def Jam Vendetta (wrestling game as it should be)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend brought over his latest ps2 demo from OPM and we tried the game out. To let u guys know what it's about, it's a wrestling game with Def Jam rappers as the wrestlers. Made by EA Big. Sounds lame right? That's what I thought too until I realized that the game engine is the same as Wrestlemania and No Mercy for n64. Animation is really good, graphics are clean. Now the best part is the gameplay, it's now easier to counter and defend against attacks (may be good or bad, depends on your preference). Finishing moves are still easy to execute, just press r3 and then grapple then press r3 to do the finishing moves. You can also do specials from front and back grapple. The most shocking and entertaining out of the four u could choose from was from Method Man? or was it Red Man, not sure. What he does is he picks you up by your necks punches you in the stomach a couple of times and throws you in the ground, just when you think it's over, he kicks the opponents privates when he's laying on the ground. The finishing moves are somewhat over the top, which is pretty cool in my books. Some finishers from previous game, like DDP's Diamond Cutter is used as a strong grapple move. Bad thing is that it doesn't come out till late March. Can't wait for it.
Old 01-16-03, 06:27 AM

I've been waiting for this game ever since I found out that AKI was providing the wrestling engine. Thanks for the heads up about the demo...I'll have to see if I can track down a copy of the magazine after work.
Old 01-16-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want Sega to bring the Giant Gram engine to the US. Perhaps a game with the NWATNA licence. The best wrestling engine I have ever played.
Old 01-16-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knight : I disagree, I HATED the Giant Gram engine..

But the AKI engine
Old 01-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball
Knight : I disagree, I HATED the Giant Gram engine..

But the AKI engine
Ooooh ooooh

A geek wrestling disagreement...cool

I really love that Giant Gram engine...did you have GG or GG2000?

I have been playing the hell out of that game...it just feels like the perfect way to pull off moves...what turned you off to the engine?
Old 01-16-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
Ooooh ooooh

A geek wrestling disagreement...cool

I really love that Giant Gram engine...did you have GG or GG2000?

I have been playing the hell out of that game...it just feels like the perfect way to pull off moves...what turned you off to the engine?
I had GG2000. I just didn't like it. Too arcadey for me..I may not have given it enough of a chance, but I tried playing it for months, just didn't appeal to me..
Old 01-16-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had GG2000. I just didn't like it. Too arcadey for me..I may not have given it enough of a chance, but I tried playing it for months, just didn't appeal to me..
If you play on All Japan mode with the energy bars all the way to 150 the matches go much longer than the regular arcade mode.

I agree the game has a bit of an arcade feel...well since it was based on the arcade game... but there is just a ton of depth to it...especially with the bone break system. I just wish a north american title would have location damage like fire pro or Giant Gram.
Old 01-16-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

But the AKI engine
Agreed. Rappers or not I'm picking this game up.
Old 01-18-03, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the info Matrix, all real fans of rasslin games are eagerly awaiting this game.

Your pal,

OZFAN 23 aka CCFMDS
Old 01-18-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nevermind

Last edited by Thunderball; 01-18-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I liked the AKI engine on the N64...could have done without that god awful slow down though. I will have to pick up this demo and check it out for myself. Question though..who provided the engine for Wrestlmania X8?
Old 01-19-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
Question though..who provided the engine for Wrestlmania X8?
Same developer as for Smackdown of the PS2. Yukes is the developers name I believe.
Old 01-19-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Same developer as for Smackdown of the PS2. Yukes is the developers name I believe.
Really? Because it sure didnt feel like it.
Old 01-19-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
Really? Because it sure didnt feel like it.
It was, but they were trying to copy the feel of the AKI engine. They blew it though. The game did not come close to the feel of the N64 games. Graphically Yukes does a very good job, but both their Smackdown and Wrestlemania engines are among the worst I have ever used. Why THQ picked them to develop wrestling games I will never understand.
Old 01-19-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
It was, but they were trying to copy the feel of the AKI engine. They blew it though. The game did not come close to the feel of the N64 games. Graphically Yukes does a very good job, but both their Smackdown and Wrestlemania engines are among the worst I have ever used. Why THQ picked them to develop wrestling games I will never understand.
I like how the new Smackdown controls, IMO they are improving. I do miss the WARZONE engine that was rockin'.
Old 04-01-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^bump

Post your thoughts and impressions on the game. How is the GC version? Is it living to its hype? I'm having trouble which one to get, this one or Splinter Cell.
Old 04-01-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this a PS2 exclusive? Can't visit any game sites at work, would like to know if I can score this on Xbox, or i not, at least Cube.
Old 04-01-03, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Pixyboi, it's not a PS 2 exclusive, there is a Gamecube version out too.
Old 04-01-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All the ads say it comes out 4/1. All the stores are saying Apr 2nd to mid-April.
Old 04-01-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may give it a rental, I've been dying to try the Aki engine everybody always talks about.
Old 04-03-03, 11:58 AM

I have to give this game a big

The AKI wrestling engine is basically the same as it was in the wrestling games that were on the N64. The only move that seems to have been left out is the ability to drag your opponent around the ring.

The story mode is actually kind of interesting, but it sucks that you have to play through it four times to unlock every wrestler.

If you are a fan of games that feature the AKI engine, buy this now!
Old 04-03-03, 12:15 PM
Suspended

I agree with Mrglass, it's a fluid faster version of the N64 rassling games.....only with much better graphics and a decent story.

Thumbs Up too
Old 04-03-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it last night at Gamestop. To me it's not worth $50, EGM was right on their review. Not enough options. The finishing moves are freaking nuts though, really really cool.

Cons
-not enough options, can't turn it off (rope break, knockouts, submission)
- tag team can't be like in Wrestlemania 64 with the no tag mode.
-for multiplayer, if the other person doesn't have a user id, person can't choose the unlocked players
-can't steal opponents finisher so far ( u could do it in the demo)
-Blazin mode only allows for 1 special move. In Wrestlemania you could do it as many times as long as you're still in "special" mode.

Pros
-Moves are really cool
-animation is good
-story mode is interesting, especially unlocking the girl's galleries
-finishers are crazzzzzzzzzzzzy
-last but not least, FINISHERS ARE THE BEST!

I'm going to return this on Monday for Splinter Cell. This game is worth $20 to me (Greatest Hits Title). To those that haven't played Wrestlemania 64, it's worth $50. I hope they have more options in the sequel!!!
Old 04-06-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
My friend just got this game and we played it for a few hours. The finishing moves are sick, but even the regular moves have a much more vicious sound and look to them. It's what was missing from the N64 versions. Definitely fun to play even without the extra match options. I would recommend at least a rental for anyone who was a fan of the AKI N64 games.

The only con is that the computer still has that uncanny ability to pull off a miraculous comeback ESPECIALLY after you have just destroyed them with a special move. Seems a little cheesy, but not so much as to really frustrate someone with some patience. I really think you guys should check it out. He got it for the Cube by the way and it looks very nice.