Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

5.1 gamecube? what am i missing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.1 gamecube? what am i missing?

ok. my friend has a GameCube and a few games that have surround sound.

i was reading the FAQ's and info on the HTF and i see that about 10 GC games have 5.1 .... but i couldnt find any info here (or HTF) on how to hook up the GC for 5.1

can it be done? what am i missing?

is there an "AV pack" or something to buy, like the Advance pak i got for my xbox?
Old 12-28-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pro-logic II

Not true 5.1, but with the correct receiver it sounds pretty good.
Old 12-28-02, 01:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah you can run it out to a regular receiver that has pro logic, but it truly shines on a pro logic 2 receiver.
Old 12-28-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you need a different audio cable?
Old 12-28-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by WhattheFFF
do you need a different audio cable?
No, it uses the standard white and red audio cables. It doesn't have true DD 5.1. Only the Xbox has that.
Old 12-28-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hope Monster creates a Toslink (lightwave) version of thier new cables for the Gamecube. My high's seem more muddled going through Stereo RCA's then through the Toslinks that I use for the PS2 and XBOX.
Old 12-28-02, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by cubanx
I really hope Monster creates a Toslink (lightwave) version of thier new cables for the Gamecube. My high's seem more muddled going through Stereo RCA's then through the Toslinks that I use for the PS2 and XBOX.
Your highs? I experince the oppisite with DPII. It's my bass that finds a hard time reaching the sub.

hmm... I figured it was the nature of the beast; this gives me hope. I'll let you know what I find, but I can tell you my highs sound great in DPII.
Old 12-29-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by cubanx
That is impossible unless Nintendo decides to release a new GameCube with a digital audio output.

I suppose you could get the Q (Panasonic's GC that also plays DVD's-only available in Japan) imported, but it'll cost ya. Even then I'm not sure if that system will output the GC's sound through the same digital output used for DVD's. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if Dolby has a flag in the bitstream for PLII so that a receiver will automatically switch to PLII when it gets audio with that flag?
Old 12-29-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
That is impossible unless Nintendo decides to release a new GameCube with a digital audio output.

I suppose you could get the Q (Panasonic's GC that also plays DVD's-only available in Japan) imported, but it'll cost ya. Even then I'm not sure if that system will output the GC's sound through the same digital output used for DVD's. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know if Dolby has a flag in the bitstream for PLII so that a receiver will automatically switch to PLII when it gets audio with that flag?
It's not impossible at all. You can send two channels over a digital line. I'm not sure it would provide any improvement, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. I think I read a review of the Panasonic Q that said that it did not pass GC game sound through the digital output, however.
Old 12-29-02, 03:33 PM

There would be no depth improvment in the audio, however it would allow prevention of any interferance. Big whoop.

Yes, DPII is flagged. Your receiver will auto-detect it.
Old 12-30-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Drexl

Even if the Q did output digital 5.1, the games would have to be designed for it. And that won't happen because the cube isn't designed for DD5.1.