Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HDtv and X-Box... help?

Old 12-23-02, 04:25 AM
Cool New Member

HDtv and X-Box... help?

My friend just got a Toshiba 50" Hdtv wide screen and when he trys to play his x-box on it... there 's a pixle problem or something.?. Tiny black spots appear randomly. It happens on the X start up screen and he says it gets worse when trying to play games.

He's using the standard AV cable, & I think he might need to use the Advanced AV pack (S-vid). Would this help?

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
B.
Old 12-23-02, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

he needs to get the Hi-Def AV pack to experience the true glory of the X-Box on the widescreen tv....it's progressive video with digital audio (optical)... can get it for about 20$.
Old 12-23-02, 04:55 AM
Cool New Member

So it's normal to have tiny black spots appearing (pixels) but w/ the Hi def pack they'll go away? what about the Advanced pack? I just picked one up at EB for $3.99 used.

Thanks
B.
Old 12-23-02, 04:56 AM
Cool New Member

Also... What causes this and why don't they appear on a regular TV?
Old 12-23-02, 08:52 AM
Cool New Member

No, black spots are not normal. I had to return my first pair of HiDef cables as they were bad (no color). The second pair worked perfect. There have been a lot of "bad" cables from monster for the Xbox... just poor quality control.
Old 12-23-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My monster cables are great, luckily... I'd still buy those over the Microsoft ones.
Old 12-23-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The black spots are not normal no matter what type of TV you use. If you do have a High-Def TV, the component video signal will look MUCH better, but there is no reason why that should happen. I would try a new set of cables. If that doesn't help, maybe a replacement on the XBOX unless it happens on other devices being plugged into the TV. Then it would be an issue with the TV.
Old 12-23-02, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

" the component video signal will look MUCH better, but there is no reason why that should happen"

Ok, he is using the standard AV cable... and on his 20" regular TV there is no problem, it just happens on the new HDTv.

So I will have him try my Advanced S-vid cable, and if this solves the problem... I'll tell him to get the Componet cable.

I guess I was hoping that you'd All say something like... " You can't use the Standard av cable w/ a HDTv, you must use S-vid or componet." But you didn't, so there is a problem somewhere in the chain.

Thanks for the help!
B.
Old 12-23-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can also find the Hi def pack at target for $5 bucks but not all of them have it.
Old 12-23-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the problem is the standard cables don't have the bandwith of the component video cables and what you're seeing is signal loss.
Old 12-24-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should definitely get the component-cable pack. Why will people spend $$$ on new equipment & not use it properly anyway? Also, did he set his XBOX to 16x9 & progressive, etc? If so it might be a problem with those settings going through a standard cable- although it should be impossible for the XBox to try to pass a progressive signal through standard cable. With the HD-pack & the settings proper, it should look better than dvd. Check out mission 1 of the new James Bond game where it's snowing. The detail is incredible on my 65" HDTV. Make sure he enables the various HD signals & switches to 16x9.