Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo drops the Megaton

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first projects announced out of this new studio are a new RPG using various gaming icons as the central charachters, a new Smash Brothers game, featuring mascots from accross the companies, including Pacman, Megaman, Sonic, Mario and more, as well as a new Sega-AM2 developed racing game that will also feature multiple icons from the various companies.
'

Wow - I have absolutely zero interest in any of those. Way to spend your windfall Nintendo! At this rate, I still look forward to PS3 and Xbox2, but will probably be skipping the gamecube's sucessor.
Old 12-18-02, 01:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"immidietly"

Is this thing for real at all?
Old 12-18-02, 01:22 PM

Edit:
GP: I noticed that as well. So I checked the site out.

I think this story is bogus. The site is a joke. The rest of the news stories appear ledgit, but they are rarely updated. Until some major sites carry this I suggest everyone ignore this "information". It could be correct, but don't bet anything on it at this point.

Original post below:

I always wondered what was up with the name "playstation". I recall reading that the original PSX was 70% Nintendo engineered and the name came from them.

I always assumed that Sony had paid Nintendo off long ago. Guess not... wasn't to smart of them...

Perhaps anyway. No one else is reporting this, guess we'll have to wait to see if it's ledgit.

If true, it's some awesome news for gamers.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-18-02 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
I always wondered what was up with the name "playstation". I recall reading that the original PSX was 70% Nintendo engineered and the name came from them.

I always assumed that Sony had paid Nintendo off long ago. Guess not... wasn't to smart of them...

Perhaps anyway. No one else is reporting this, guess we'll have to wait to see if it's ledgit.

If true, it's some awesome news for gamers.

actually sony and nintendo were going to release a Sony designed cd rom based game system. Nntendo backed out and decided to stick with cartridges so Sony got pissed that they had wasted a bunch of engineering efforts to design the playstation so they decided to release it.

I really think this article is not true. this would be all over the news if it was since the money is big and it effects two giants in the console gaming industry.
Old 12-18-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Has this shown up on any real news sites yet? I find this really hard to believe, especially with all the spelling mistakes. It just doesn't seem realistic.
Old 12-18-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
"ammounts"
"immidietly"
"accross"
"Viewtifull"
"stuidios"
"charachters"

Sure.
Old 12-18-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read about a year ago in one of the game magazines that Sony has already copyrighted the name "PS3 " for future use. What will probably happen is, because of the name recognition already, they will grandfather in the name. It will still be called "PS(fill in the blank)" but we probably will see the name "Playstation" used less frequently.

Old 12-18-02, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
actually sony and nintendo were going to release a Sony designed cd rom based game system. Nntendo backed out and decided to stick with cartridges so Sony got pissed that they had wasted a bunch of engineering efforts to design the playstation so they decided to release it.
Not quite. The original "playstation" was the code name given to the SNES add on made to compete with the SegaCD. Nintendo never caring much for CD's and watching the Sega CD struggle/fail cancelled the project. Not before switching partners on the project to Phillips I believe.

Sony was quite upset over the incident, but it wasn't a matter of it being a next gen system after the SNES, it was originally an add on. The history that is known is that Sony then took the hardware co-devloped and upgraded it for release as the "plastation" as a next gen machine.

Sony and Nintendo were never working together on a system for after the SNES. At least never publicly, they likely had plans (agreement) to co-develop a system after the playstations launch for the SNES.
Old 12-18-02, 02:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Some of you need to reread Shuki's second post a bit more carefully.
Old 12-18-02, 02:33 PM

Are you sure its a joint copyright? Sounds like a trademark issue to me...
Old 12-18-02, 02:41 PM

wow I love how people always view things differently with nostolgia. Do yourself a favor go out and buy or get an emulator and play all those amacing NES games, true there are many gems but out of the 500+ NES games I have I doubt I would ever pop more than 30 of them in. There has been and always will be crappy games. Sony didn't invent them nor did they increase their frequency.

This does seem bogus and if it isn't then it's not the timebomb I was hoping for.

Sony brought a lot of life back into the videogame market weather you like them or not.
Old 12-18-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did read that nintendo shares have fallen like 4.5% in nine straight days of losses....

dated Monday, Dec. 16.

[Nikkei/Dow Jones] Nintendo (7974) likely to continue fall despite looking oversold; U.S. Christmas sales may fall short and rising yen remains concern as over 80% of company's sales overseas, Daiwa SMBC trader says; gamemaker down 4.5% at Y11,240 in Osaka for ninth straight day of losses as foreign investors sell. (IJK)

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/021216/15/35qzs.html

chart

Last edited by Shuki; 12-18-02 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Not quite. The original "playstation" was the code name given to the SNES add on made to compete with the SegaCD. Nintendo never caring much for CD's and watching the Sega CD struggle/fail cancelled the project. Not before switching partners on the project to Phillips I believe.

Sony was quite upset over the incident, but it wasn't a matter of it being a next gen system after the SNES, it was originally an add on. The history that is known is that Sony then took the hardware co-devloped and upgraded it for release as the "plastation" as a next gen machine.

Sony and Nintendo were never working together on a system for after the SNES. At least never publicly, they likely had plans (agreement) to co-develop a system after the playstations launch for the SNES.
Wow.. I read the story quite different. Nintendo contracted Sony to develop the CD addon for the SNES as you said, but then after seeing poor sales of Sega CD, Nintendo tried to reneg on the deal they had sketched out with Sony who was nearing completion of the device anyway. Nintendo's behavior towards Sony soured their relationship and it's what fueled Sony to continue developing their CD addon as a sole game console. I hadn't heard about Philips beyond them just talking to Nintendo and I think that was a generation later.
Old 12-18-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

<small>evil</small>

Old 12-18-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a few posts about this over on the IGN boards... basically everyone is saying it's a hoax and the moderators were closing the threads saying it's been proven to be fake. I have no idea if they really have proof (IGN moderators aren't much better than the average IGN user unfortunately) but it makes sense when you see all the spelling errors that juiio ponted out. Plus, I would imagine there would be at least a mention on some other site if Nintendo agreed to pay Sony $2.3 billion (and I doubt Nintendo would agree to a 20 year payment plan...).
Old 12-18-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this was true it would have shown up someplace else. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. It's not hard to tell the reliable sources from the BS ones, but some people have no sense.

If this happened, it would be HUGE news because of the financial implications of the thing.

I still think the news will be that Nintendo is buying Capcom.
Old 12-18-02, 04:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
If this was true it would have shown up someplace else. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. It's not hard to tell the reliable sources from the BS ones, but some people have no sense.

If this happened, it would be HUGE news because of the financial implications of the thing.

I still think the news will be that Nintendo is buying Capcom.
Well it's not even Tuesday in Japan yet so I believe the annoucement is still to come.
Old 12-18-02, 05:14 PM
Retired

1. Bogus announcement. Other places would have it if it were true.

2. Sony isn't evil, but I do somewhat agree with the views on the state of games. Maybe I'm just finally out growing video games, but I'm not nearly as interested and impressed by the games this generation than in the past.

3. Trigger is right about the Nintendo Sony thing. Nintendo scrapped the add-on project and pissed off sony.

4. I agree with scandal that if there is a big annoucement still forthcoming, it will be a purchase of capcom. I hope it's all a rumor though.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-18-02 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A THREE BILLION DOLLAR settlement and not a peep out of any of the consumer electronic media outlets?

On an unrelated note does anybody want to help me get my money out of Nigeria?
Old 12-18-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Megaton = Consoletalk needs traffic, makes up "news."
Old 12-18-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Bogus story all the way. Nintendo would have brought this up years ago if it was an issue.
Old 12-19-02, 01:23 AM

anyone wanna buy the brooklyn bridge?
Old 12-19-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pixyboi !!!
I agree with what you said in alot ways, well said!
Old 12-19-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...me=pub&aid=998
Old 12-19-02, 01:24 PM

We are in a watered down videogame era??????

I guess I couldn't tell. I was too busy playing GTA3 and VC, SOCOM, Halo, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Metroid Prime, etc...

Ok, I haven't really played all of those games, but my point is this. Competition between the game companies doesn't do anything except help gamers. Because each company needs a must have game to sell consoles, each manufacturer will strive to top each other. Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft dropping out of the console war will not lead to a stronger overall game market.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.