Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Where to find a GameCube Component video cable?

Old 12-17-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where to find a GameCube Component video cable?

where can I buy one of these other than nintendo.com?

thanks
Old 12-17-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nowhere else ...
Old 12-17-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=212498

$9.99 includes S-video.
Old 12-17-02, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=212498

$9.99 includes S-video.
That's composite/S-Video

Unfortunately, I couldn't even find one on Ebay and had to fork out the $30 for the nintendo store....but it was worth it
Old 12-17-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got an unopened copy of Metroid Prime waiting for my component cable to arrive from Nintendo. Hopefully, I'll be playing progressive Metroid by the weekend.
Old 12-17-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like I said ... nowhere else... for some reason they are only distributing Component cables themselves.
Old 12-17-02, 10:42 PM
Retired

They probably didn't think there would be enough demand to justify the cost of shipping the component cables to stores.

They were probably right too. The Gamecube isn't exactly geared toward the HDTV owning crowd.
Old 01-06-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is the "D terminal" on the Gamecube (used for the component video cable connection) a proprietary connector, or is it something for which I could purchase an adapter to use regular component cables (which I already have) versus ordering the Nintendo component cable? Thanks for any info.

Edit: looks like the D-terminal is a Japanese standard for connectors and that Nintendo has created this component cable to convert the terminal for U.S. use. Nintendo also sells a cable with a D-terminal connector on both ends for use in Japan. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the cable from Nintendo, paid extra $2 for 2-day UPS. Can't wait to use it with my new Panny 53WX42!

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-06-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 04:14 PM

Component but no Widescreen

What's up with that? I mean sure you can play in progressive scan but I want it in progressive AND widescreen dammit! :P
Old 01-06-03, 04:16 PM

Some games are 16x9 and progressive. Eternal Darkness and Starfox Adventures are two.
Old 01-06-03, 04:18 PM

Yeah...2 games that I don't have... go figure. One would think a big release such as Metroid Prime would support WS, but noooo...
Old 01-06-03, 06:19 PM

Pelican (a 3rd party company) was making $19.99 component cables, but Nintendo dropped the hammer on them and they had to stop making them.

Personally, I don't think it's worth $40. I have my XBox hooked up with component video, and Metroid Prime looks about the same using the simple red-white-yellow cables as any XBox game I've played. I also saw a friend of mine's Gamecube on his TV with component cables, and it didn't look any bettet than what I'm using now. Granted, he had a RPTV and I have a tube TV, so there's no way RPTVs will ever get the sharpness of a tube TV.

Seeing how with all the deals and such going I paid $83 for Metroid Prime and a Gamecube, I can't justify dropping almost half that on cables.
Old 01-06-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Some games are 16x9 and progressive. Eternal Darkness and Starfox Adventures are two.
Woo-hoo, just got Eternal Darkness! Er, is that my phone? Um, gotta go....

Edit: Here's a Home Theater Forum thread that discusses this topic and includes a partial Gamecube list of games that are progressive scan and/or widescreen capable. Funny, scroll down and you'll see that there are apparently more 16:9 capable Dreamcast games than there are Gamecube, at least according to this list. Hee hee, have to pull out Wacky Races and Toy Commander!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=100055

Last edited by Dah-Dee; 01-06-03 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by jabbas
Personally, I don't think it's worth $40. I have my XBox hooked up with component video, and Metroid Prime looks about the same using the simple red-white-yellow cables as any XBox game I've played. I also saw a friend of mine's Gamecube on his TV with component cables, and it didn't look any bettet than what I'm using now. Granted, he had a RPTV and I have a tube TV, so there's no way RPTVs will ever get the sharpness of a tube TV.
Have you tried playing the games in Progressive Scan mode? That makes a BIG difference. Playing games with component cables on a regular TV doesn't really make a big difference, I'm sorry to say.