Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX and Sony Wega TV Question..

Old 12-13-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

XBOX and Sony Wega TV Question..

We have a Sony Wega TV that has the "enhanced" resolution mode for anamorphic DVDs. I'm wondering wheter or not the XBOX would be able to take advantage of this extra resolution for the HD games? Anybody know or have a site I can check for info?
Old 12-13-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

You should be able to take advantage of 16x9 games in the XBox dashboard. Most XBox games don't have a 16x9 mode, and you'll probably have to manually set your TV to 16x9 through the set's menus.

What model do you have? I have a KV-36FS12, and I can play games in 16x9/480i, but not 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Old 12-13-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.. I did try 16x9 mode out a bit, but it was kind of strange playing SSX Tricky letterboxed. I'm not sure what the model is, it's at home and I'm at work.. but it's a 27" model. I was mostly curious about the 480p, 720p and 1080i modes.. but it looks like it's ont going to happen here.

One burning question that remains though.. my receiver only has one plug for surround sound, how woud I get the XBOX and my DVD Player connected at the same time?
Old 12-13-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
I was mostly curious about the 480p, 720p and 1080i modes.. but it looks like it's ont going to happen here.

One burning question that remains though.. my receiver only has one plug for surround sound, how woud I get the XBOX and my DVD Player connected at the same time?
If it's an analog set (and it sounds like it is) then the best you can do is 480i, anything higher (480p. 720p, 1080i) won't work.

If you have only one optical input you could use an optical splitter (like this one ) to plug in both the DVD player and the Xbox.
Old 12-13-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icculus
If it's an analog set (and it sounds like it is) then the best you can do is 480i, anything higher (480p. 720p, 1080i) won't work.

If you have only one optical input you could use an optical splitter (like this one ) to plug in both the DVD player and the Xbox.
Thanks, that's all I needed to know..

Also the splitter looks like it's for connecting one device to 2 sources (at least from the description).. also I'm not using optical cables at the moment.. is it worth the switch?
Old 12-13-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It'll work to put two sources into one input (just plug it in backward ). I used one a few years ago and it worked fine, I didn't notice any drop in sound quality. It's definitely worth it to use the 5.1 sound on the Xbox, it adds a lot to the games (hearing enemies sneak up behind you in Halo is really cool).
Old 12-13-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks I'll look into it. Yeah I am upgrading to 5.1 foir XBOX but what I was asking is for my DVD Player I am using the RCA-style 5.1 cable, I was curious if it was worth it to upgrade THAT to optical (we have fairly mid-range equipment).. the cable that comes with the XBOX advanced AV pack.. is it optical only or both?
Old 12-13-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ahhh.. well, in that case I guess it's pretty much uip to you. If you're using the 6 rca cables from the DVD player to the receiver you're using the DVD player's decoder, if you use an optical cable you're using the receiver's decoder. It all depends on which one is the better decoder, most likely it's the receiver but it all depends on your equipment.