Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy an XBOX or Playstation 2? Already have GC.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

My GC is on the UPS truck now on the way to me My question is, should I buy an XBOX and PlayStation 2? The only reasons I was going to buy the PS2 were Vice City and Kingdom Hearts. Is Kingdom Hearts going to come to the GameCube anytime soon? And upon thinking about Vice City isn't the point to shoot people and deal drugs? So it doesn't seem like the kind of game I would enjoy (I was buying it more on hype, like I buy DVDs such as Band of Brothers). Nothing else really excites me.

The GameCube on the other hand... ohh boy... Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball, Super Mario Party, Harry Potter, and the list goes and on.

Nothing really excites me on the XBOX either, but for $30 you get the official magazine and 12 DVDs full of demos and you can pay for online access to stuff.

I just wanted the freedom to buy whichever game was best instead of being tied to a console.

So is the freedom worth an extra $450 for the two consoles? (after tax and an extra $20 game that I get FAR).
Old 12-12-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on what you wrote, I would advise AGAINST buying either system.

You buy a system to play the games you want to play. If nothing on the xbox interest you, then don't bother. If you only want 1 or 2 games for the PS2, wait alittle while b/c I don't think it is worth it to buy a system just to play 1 or 2 games (unless it is one that you cannot live without).
Old 12-12-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since you are so excited for the Cube, then stay with it.
Old 12-12-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Were it me, I prefer the x-box for some reason, but would buy the PS2 anyway. I prefer RPGs, would love Kingdom Hearts, and Halo is not really my thing. But the x-box has the hardware, and I am a hardware dude.
Old 12-12-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what has me in the tightrope, should I/shouldn't I, kvrdave. The XBOX has the hardware and will come out with cool stuff. And the PS2 seems like a cool system and I know I would enjoy Kingdom Hearts. I haven't really looked into the PS2 games hard enough but I HAVE looked at the GC games extensively, so that may be a reason I'm more excited about them. The PS2 just seems like a solid system.
Old 12-12-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2nd option :)

Enjoy ur GC now.........then Buy the XBOX later (till the PRice DROP)
Old 12-12-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GatorDeb
That's what has me in the tightrope, should I/shouldn't I, kvrdave. The XBOX has the hardware and will come out with cool stuff. And the PS2 seems like a cool system and I know I would enjoy Kingdom Hearts. I haven't really looked into the PS2 games hard enough but I HAVE looked at the GC games extensively, so that may be a reason I'm more excited about them. The PS2 just seems like a solid system.
I'd wait until a deal came up that you cannot pass up... I'd enjoy the GC for a while and when the perfect deal comes around on the X-Box or the PS2 as it recently did with the GC (rebates, MSN, coupons, etc) then jump on it.
Old 12-12-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do you HAVE to get a PS2 or Xbox also? Just because several other people do it?

You say you're getting a GC, and there's tons of games you're interested in...so why not just stick with that.
If you really want to check out Kingdom Hearts, play it at a friends house or RENT a PS2 at BBV or something.

And to say "get Xbox b/c it has the hardware" is just silly. Get whatever system has games that you like on it.
If a system has no games you like, than the best hardware in the world won't get you to play anything.

Oh, and if you like Band of Brothers, may I suggest getting Medal of Honor for your GC..
Old 12-12-02, 03:26 PM

I also have GC and recently bought PS2 just for Time Crisis II, Vampire Night and Need for Speed 2. PS2 has a lot to offer than xbox.
Old 12-12-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
You should get and play your Gamecube and games first, then decide if you need/want/have time for another system.
Old 12-12-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Should I buy an XBOX or Playstation 2? Already have GC.

ohh boy... Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball, Super Mario Party, Harry Potter, and the list goes and on.
Your plate seems pretty full already.
Old 12-12-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would wait for a better deal on the PS2. Right now there is no deal. At least with the Xbox you get 2 games. I want a PS2 myself and I already have an xbox all I am waiting for is a decent deal with the PS2. Hopefully they can bundle one damn game, but it's sony.
Old 12-12-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't worry about another system for now. You have to catch up on all the great games from the last year and next year is a virtual avalanche of highly anticipated games.

I have all three because there were specific games I wanted on each now and in the future.
Old 12-12-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it a given that all three will have price cuts within the next three months? I understand the chances are slim before Christmas, but what about January, February, and the first half of March?
Old 12-12-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I understand. I have to eventually have them all, too. I think the PS2 will come out with a deal after Christmas.
Old 12-12-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you MUST have another console, and I know how that feels, get the PS2. Within the sheer library of games available to the PS2 (including PS1 games) you're bound to find tons of games you like.
Old 12-12-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had an XBOX for a year, just got a GameCube last month, and will probably buy a PS2 soon. It's a no win situation. No matter what you buy you'll also want the others....
Old 12-12-02, 08:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Deb, that MSN Wallet/XBox deal is as good as you're going to get for a while on the XBox. The PS2 might drop its price, but who knows when? Could be a while honestly.
Old 12-12-02, 08:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by JaxComet
I've had an XBOX for a year, just got a GameCube last month, and will probably buy a PS2 soon. It's a no win situation. No matter what you buy you'll also want the others....
Yeah they all get you eventually. If you can afford it, 3 systems is the way to go. That way you can get the creme de la creme of games.
Old 12-12-02, 08:24 PM

I got the PS2 just under a year after it was released. I then got the Xbox right at the price dop and about 3 weeks ago I picked up the GC. My Xbox with Live is my 1st pick and a close 2nd is my GC, as for the PS2 I am very close to selling it.

But to each his/her own

Josh
Old 12-12-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I figure it's $200 for the XBOX with three games ($20 FAR for the third game) and it gives me back $40... along with the $50 I got for the Gamecube and $10 for Zelda, that's the $100 right there. I can just pick up the PlayStation anywhere, Best Buy probably. That gives me $100 to pop on two games in February, probably one for the XBOX and one for the PS2 since I have a good library of GC games.

If I do go ahead and buy the other two, the total spent would have been $252 GC + $200 BBuster + $212 (BBuy) + $429 (XBOX and PS2) for a total of = 1093.

Deduct $50 Nintendo, $35 WaveBird, $20 return on the third XBOX game, it's a total of $988 spent for:

GC
Wavebird
1. Metroid Prime, 2. Super Mario Sunshine, 3. 007: Agent under Fire, 4. WaveRace: Blue Storm, 5. Luigi's Mansion, 6. Animal Crossing, 7. Eternal Darkness, 8. Harry Potter, 9. Resident Evil, 10. Super Monkey Ball, 11. Mario Party 4

PS2
1. Jax and Dexter, 2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, 3. Kingdom Hearts

XBOX
1. Azurik, 2. Spider-Man, 3. Jet Set Radio Future, 4. Sega GT, 5. $20 game

And 2 more Games courtesy of MSN

So that's 988 for three systems, wireless controller, and 21 games. I'm sure there are many here with over 20 games that paid $50 a pop, so if I had done that it's like getting all three systems for free

Overtime's been good, which is why I'm even thinking of making the purchases. Paycheck == bills, Overtime == play. I went on a DVD buying spree (I have a little over 252 DVDs and I started in April) and since I started to research the GC I've stopped the DVD purchasing cold. Instead of a vacation, I have something tangible that I can keep and enjoy

The next gen consoles won't be until 2004 so this would give me plenty of time to enjoy these - and of course I can enjoy them beyond that. Pikmin rules, for instance, and Mario Nextgen isn't going to make it all of a sudden suck.

But yes it's a lot of money With the BBuster deal going on, I decided I'm ponying up the money now but I get a great deal. I'm saving about $700 total than if I paid $50 each game and bought the consoles and the Wavebird by themselves. So it's almost half price, it's about 41% off.
Old 12-12-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Metroid Prime, 2. Super Mario Sunshine, 3. 007: Agent under Fire, 4. WaveRace: Blue Storm, 5. Luigi's Mansion, 6. Animal Crossing, 7. Eternal Darkness, 8. Harry Potter, 9. Resident Evil, 10. Super Monkey Ball, 11. Mario Party 4
1. Jax and Dexter, 2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, 3. Kingdom Hearts

1. Azurik, 2. Spider-Man, 3. Jet Set Radio Future, 4. Sega GT, 5. $20 game

And 2 more Games courtesy of MSN
Girl there is just no way to give that many games enough attention.

Over
Kill
Old 12-12-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I want to buy all games for the next year or so now because of the great deals going on If I don't buy them now I'll be spending more money on them down the road.
Old 12-12-02, 10:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Is it too late to back out of AUF? I'd hate for someone to end up with that steaming pile of horse manure.
Old 12-12-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too late to return

I liked it for two reasons - first, good graphics. The other reason is that I hear it's easy, and you're talking to someone who was never able to beat Super Mario Brothers WITH THE INVINCIBILITY CHEAT ON.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.