Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

xbox modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbox modifications

I was told that there is a way to modify your xbox to be able to save games onto the hard drive by replacing the hard drive. What are the materials that I need to do this? Is there a mod chip that is required? Know of any websites I could look this up on?
Old 12-06-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no need to modify anything if you want to save games on the HD. That's what it's there for.
Old 12-06-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I think he means save WHOLE games in the hard drive. Which is why I think this thread will be closed soon.
Old 12-06-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
As long as you're doing it for legit reasons, there should be no reason to close this thread.

You would need a bigger harddrive and a mod chip. If you have a mod chip, you might not be able to play on X-Box Live, depending on the chip.

I've been tempted to do it in case the DVD drive died, but I decided the cost and potential problems outweigh the benefits.
Old 12-06-02, 05:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I think he means save WHOLE games in the hard drive. Which is why I think this thread will be closed soon.
Yeah I'm guessing the same thing. Course I could be wrong, but yeah, the HDD it comes with will let you put game saves on it already.
Old 12-06-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IBTL

www.xboxhacker.net
www.xbox-scene.com

Peace.
Old 12-06-02, 10:57 PM

omg those sites are scary
Old 12-07-02, 10:09 AM

Why can't people leave well enough alone? Somebody should forward these sites on to Microsoft. I have a feeling that modded Xboxes are going to ruin the Live experience.
Old 12-07-02, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by gross@iastate
Why can't people leave well enough alone? Somebody should forward these sites on to Microsoft. I have a feeling that modded Xboxes are going to ruin the Live experience.
1st of all...dont you think microsoft knows about these sites? They monitor these sites 24/7.

2nd- Modded xboxes will NOT ruin the "Live Experience", just the other day i was playing with a mame arcade emulator on my "modded" xbox, let me tell you, aint nothing like playin old classics like 1942, altered beast and shinobi on my xbox, simple looking games provided me more entertainment then most of these new games. There are MANY good things you can do with a modded xbox..

plus.....microsoft has blocked access to Live from a modded xbox...and dont worry....Live wont suffer when they do get it working
Old 12-07-02, 11:52 AM

Personally, I'd much rather have a modded x-box with the
ability to use it as a computer with linux operating system than use the x-box live sevices. Thats a trade off I can deal with.

Once a peice of hardware leaves the store, and someone owns it, so long as they are not doing anything illegal with it, I don't see what business the manufacturer has with what the consumer does with it. Having a modchip doesn't mean someone will be using bootleg games.
Old 12-07-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by andrew_randy
Personally, I'd much rather have a modded x-box with the
ability to use it as a computer with linux operating system.

WHY???????????
Old 12-07-02, 12:37 PM

I agree with most of your arguements for a modded Xbox. The only thing I'm worried about is people modifying games and cheating. This has ruined a lot of PC gaming and PS2 as well with the gameshark.

Also, why would you want to use Linux on an Xbox? It's a console not a computer.
Old 12-07-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I never understood the attraction to cheating in online games. It shows no skill, and eventually it will become a crutch.
Old 12-07-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. MS knows about these sites, and other already. it is very, very hard to get detailed information about copying xbox games onto a cd-r dvd-r. you can do a search on yahoo! and find many, many detailed tutoritals on copying PS1 games, but NOT for the xBox. many of the xBox hacking sites wont let you post an email, because of the high level of vigilance by MS.

2. From threads i have read, most users (not all) with a mod chip get booted from xBox live, some have been banned

3. equating a a mod chip w/ online cheating and ruining xBox live is not accurate, in the least.

4. modchips also allow for region free dvd playing, and region free game playing -- on this site there are pop up ads for region free DVD players, so it cant be all that evil

5. considering i have several hundred dollars in xBox games that are on crappy opitcal discs, i cant wait until xBox backups become the norm.....

6.why didnt they make xBox, ps2, and GC with digital meida, but with a protective case like a MiniDisc. of course the disc cartridge would be large, but it would be producted from my big fat greasy fingers, sratches, etc.
Old 12-08-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All good points although with #6 you shouldn't have to worry. These discs will out-live you. Only with carelessness would you ever scratch or grease-up a disc to the point where it is unreadable by the console.
Old 12-08-02, 10:13 AM

centurion -- that is my point, it would be nice (since the technology does exist) for the games to be a little more durable.

i agree that mishandling them causes the damage, but it would be nice if they were more protected.

but i agree, a cd/dvd without scratches/smudges should function for a pretty long time w/ no problems.

ALTHOUGH i get dirty disc erros with my brand spanking new GR disc about 1 out of every 5 times i play!
Old 12-08-02, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by jasonr114

ALTHOUGH i get dirty disc erros with my brand spanking new GR disc about 1 out of every 5 times i play!
I got this a few times to. Plus it would just freeze up once in a while. After playing through the first 7 or so missions I haven't seen it since. Probably a faulty disc.
Old 12-08-02, 12:34 PM

Also, why would you want to use Linux on an Xbox? It's a console not a computer.
I disagree. It is both. The xbox has everything you need in it, minus the proper software to use it as a pc. For 200 bucks you will be hard pressed to find a pc with the same power.

This is the one reason I'm considering picking up an xbox again for. They make great linux boxes.
Old 12-08-02, 12:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

What do you do about a floppy drive, mouse, keyboard, and does the disc drive work as a CDROM/DVDROM?
Old 12-08-02, 09:19 PM
Cool New Member

The XBox disc drive functions as the CD/DVD-ROM. An 80 or 120gb drive is a good substitute for the crappy 8gb standard one. With some minor soldering, you can add a USB port to the XBox motherboard to attach Keyboards, Mice, Cameras ... anything supported under Linux.

Now that the XBox Dev tools have been completely reverse-engineered, there will be many more programs and games ported to the XBox. I even tried a little Quake 2 on mine.

The XBox is incredibly versatile ... just like a PC in many ways. Personally, I spend far more time playing all my old SNES games in progressive scan through the XBox's nice Component outs than any of the new XBox games. That's probably not very encouraging to MS, but it's my system. They chose to sell it at a loss (though to be fair, I have 11 XBox games so MS is making money).

The feature to save your old Genesis or SNES games at any point is a huge plus. I used to hate slogging through an entire castle in Mario World only to die at the boss ... now a simple save outside the throne room lets me return at any time, almost instantly.

There are emulators for every system up to the Dreamcast (well, except for 3D0, CD-I and Saturn ... those twin Hitachi processors are a pain to emulate). Modding has made the XBox the best system I've ever owned (because it's essentially EVERY system I've ever owned) and in a weird way, has made me more aware of what MS is offering. I'll probably end up buying more games for XBox than I would have had I not modded my system.
Old 12-08-02, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

Plus I bought a second, virgin Xbox just to play XBLive.
Old 12-08-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jasonr114
6.why didnt they make xBox, ps2, and GC with digital meida, but with a protective case like a MiniDisc. of course the disc cartridge would be large, but it would be producted from my big fat greasy fingers, sratches, etc.
Because then people wouldn't have to replace games that got scratched aka the only person who benefits is the consumer.

I've never been into importing or modding, but having all of the classic consoles and games on one convenient (non-PC) system is a great idea. I think that I'll probably turn my Xbox into a classic gaming arcade once the Xbox 2 is available as long as it is backwards compatible.
Old 12-08-02, 09:41 PM

Personally, I spend far more time playing all my old SNES games in progressive scan through the XBox's nice Component outs than any of the new XBox games. The feature to save your old Genesis or SNES games at any point is a huge plus. I used to hate slogging through an entire castle in Mario World only to die at the boss ... now a simple save outside the throne room lets me return at any time, almost instantly
i agree emulators on the pc are nice. i have s-video out on my PC and a usb playstation controller adaptor. i LOVE playing Megaman 1-5, mario, metroid on my tv w/ the ps2 controller, and being able to save at any time.

i wish had the know how, ability to make my xbox as versatile as yours, if i could, i would probably buy a second one!

Last edited by jasonr114; 12-08-02 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-08-02, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

Look around www.easybuy2000.com and www.xbox-scene.com. You'll see that playing emulators and swapping hdds can be done with no soldering at all. If you research enough, and can use a screwdriver, it can be done. It's no big deal. Anyone who's ever done computer upgrades shouldn't have a problem.
Old 12-09-02, 12:45 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Neil Bruce
Plus I bought a second, virgin Xbox just to play XBLive.
Only way to go once you install a chip and want to be on Live without fear of getting your XBOX banned for good

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.