Reload this Page >

Spolied by the Wavebird

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Spolied by the Wavebird

Old 12-02-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spolied by the Wavebird

I finally caved and bought a GC the other day since I had all the other systems I figured I should get it as well. ( so far my wife hogs it for Animal Crossing when I want it for Metroid )

Anyway I got the normal stuff like a few games and a memory card.

And then I figured that I've heard such great things about the Wavebird that I better spring for one of them as well. I've never been more pleased with a console accessory in my life. It is amazing who much more I enjoy my games on the GC since I can move freely.

I was just wondering about using rechargeable batteries in it. I don't recall seeing anything written n the package but I know some prducts warn against using rechargeable batteries. I do play on getting 3 more after the holidays and was hoping i could get a charger and batteries as well but would hate to damage them in any way.
Old 12-02-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Recharge batteries should be fine. Obviously don't expect the 100 hours of use from normal alkline though.

The wavebird truely is one nice piece of equipment. Best controller ever in my book.
Old 12-02-02, 07:22 AM
Cool New Member

I had to register when I saw this.
I would think rechargeables would work okay(if you can use them. I don't remember what the packaging said about them either). I've had the standard set of batteries that came with it, in there for about a month now and they're still good.
I bought a wavebird about a month ago and have been very pleased with it. I don't use my wired controllers at all anymore.
Some people gripe about no rumble feature with it. To be honest, before I got the wavebird, I usually would turn off the rumble on the wired controllers. I don't really care for that feature.
The wavebird is great!
I've accumilated over 20 games for the GC so far. It's too addicting.

Steve
Old 12-02-02, 07:58 AM

It is very funny to me that I saw this post, as I am bagging my two Jet wired controllers right now to take back and get 2 more Wavebirds. I got Matio party 4 last night and 1 Waverbird and 2 jet controllers, after using it I would not let my sister and her boyfriend open the 2 jet ones, because I wanted to take those back and get all Wavebirds

Anyone heard of having any problems with using three Wavebirds at once?
Old 12-02-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by JoshUnt
It is very funny to me that I saw this post, as I am bagging my two Jet wired controllers right now to take back and get 2 more Wavebirds. I got Matio party 4 last night and 1 Waverbird and 2 jet controllers, after using it I would not let my sister and her boyfriend open the 2 jet ones, because I wanted to take those back and get all Wavebirds

We sometimes use four with no problems. Just watch out for people during Mario Party switching to your channel and screwing you up. Some of my friends are real butt heads.
Old 12-02-02, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by JoshUnt

You will have no problem.

Let me share a story. I live in a house with 21 other guys on campus. There are several of us with GC's. We all own at least one wave bird. 1 time I was playing SMS and mario became possesed not listening to my controlls. Turns out someone had bought a new one and was using the same channel as me all the way down stairs across the house. Now we have a list of open channels posted to avoid any confusion. They work great, as long as you set them on different channels.

Maybe the work a little to good...
Old 12-02-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Anyone have any problems with a sudden pause of game with the WB? Every now and then the my character will just pause for like a second and then carry on. Is it the batteries? I thought I had full ones. Any idea?
Old 12-02-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael,
That happens to me occasionally. I'm not sure what causes it either. Usually if it's with any frequency I'll just switch channels and that clears it right up.
Old 12-02-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am spoiled my the Wavebird.

When I'm playing my PS2 or Xbox, I always wish they had a controller like the Wavebird.
Old 12-02-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen a wavebird in action, and I was wondering how it works when the batteries get low. Does the controller notify you that the batteries are low before they die out? Because it would be terrible if you were in the middle of an important moment in a game and the batteries went dead...
Old 12-02-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the Wavebird.

Best controller ever.

I want to get 2 more, so I can have the full 4 set up.
Old 12-02-02, 11:44 AM

Chalk me up as another person spoiled by the Wavebird! Can't live without it! Its kinda weird actually, i didn't think it would be as cool as it was until i actually tried it. When i saw all the opinions about it so i finally caved in and I'm happy I got it! The novelty of rumble wore off years ago. Wireless is something that actually adds convenience to gaming .
Old 12-02-02, 11:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nintendo has gotten a lot of flack for being "behind the times" with their hardware (most of it justified), but the Wavebird is certainly a big leap forward.

I predict that in the next generation, all pack-in controllers for all consoles will be wireless.
Old 12-02-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i've got 4 wavebirds going with no problems... i set the channels as far apart from each other as possible to prevent any foul play.
Old 12-02-02, 05:00 PM

The Wavebird is an amazingly great controller. I have had some problems with finding the perfect channel, but other than that it's been a godsend.

I really wish that other first partys would make wireless controllers like the Wavebird. I just don't trust any 3rd party controller.
Old 12-02-02, 06:37 PM

I love my Wavebird. I haven't used the wired controller since I got the WB.

Just to try it, I went to the part of my house that is the furthest from my Gamecube to see if it still worked. My brother relayed what was happening on screen and it was everyhting I was doing. The signal was going through at least 4 walls.

So much better than having to point an IR wireless controller directly at the system while sitting 3 feet away.

DW
Old 12-02-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as when the batteries start to die, I had to change mine this weekend(I got it in June or early July so they lasted a while). I noticed the light on it began flickering and unfortunately the controller started acting weird, making my guy move when I wasn't pressing it etc. So yea it doesn't really act well when the batteries are on their way out. Other than that and the occasional hiccup I've experienced I love it.
Old 12-02-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dfbennett
As far as when the batteries start to die, I had to change mine this weekend(I got it in June or early July so they lasted a while). I noticed the light on it began flickering and unfortunately the controller started acting weird, making my guy move when I wasn't pressing it etc. So yea it doesn't really act well when the batteries are on their way out. Other than that and the occasional hiccup I've experienced I love it.
I've had mine since the price drop on the cube (although I don't play it constantly), and I just had to change the batteries because I left it on all night by accident. It did the same thing, just began flickering and acting strange.

And yes, it's spoiled me also.
Old 12-02-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh
I hate when I make typos in the titles. Oh well...it was well past my bed time.

I guess I might just use normal batteries since they last so long. I certainly won't be using all 4 on a regular basis so they should last for a long time.
Old 12-02-02, 09:25 PM
Retired

It's definitely the best controller ever.

Sometimes when I can't decide whether to play a GC game or PS2 game, the Wavebird is the deciding factor.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 12-03-02 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-02-02, 09:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

I would pick this up but I don't want my neighbors listening in on my video games, being wireless and all.
Old 12-02-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I would pick this up but I don't want my neighbors listening in on my video games, being wireless and all.
Old 12-03-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Just don't input your credit card number or soc. number using the wavebird. I saw a special on 20/20 that had a story about a families life that was totally ruined by doing this. beware!
Old 12-03-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love my wavebird too and I'm thinking about getting another, but I was wondering about the new wireless controller from Pelican, the G3. It has the rumble feature and it's supposed to have an even longer range than the wavebird. The rumble can even be turned off to preserve batteries. I'm reluctant to get a third party controller though, as they usually don't feel quite right. Has anyone tried it?
Old 12-03-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's supposed to have an even longer range than the wavebird.
Seeing as how the Wavebird can work from like 90 feet away I'm not sure how useful an improvement this is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.