Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Console Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-02, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Console Advice?

I'm about to enter the gaming world. What's the best value?

I've seen ps2 and xbox. Anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance.

jt
Old 11-29-02, 12:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nintendo Game Cube.
Old 11-29-02, 01:00 PM

Yes, Gamecube is the best
Old 11-29-02, 01:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering the many great games that are on PS2's Greatest Hits list that go for $19.99 or less, if you're looking for value, the PS2 is a serious contender. And the list is getting longer week by week, it seems.
Old 11-29-02, 01:29 PM

I am also looking to buy a system. Up grading from my old PS1. I orginally was going to get a PS2 so my old PS1 games would work on it. I have about decided to get an X-Box instead. If you look on the Exchange board, almost every post is about the X-Box. I have also read many reviews on games saying that the graphics on th e X-Box are far better than the PS2. The X-Box has almost double the processor speed.
Old 11-29-02, 01:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Justin00787
Yes, Gamecube is the best
Didn't say that, in fact, as a standalone game machine I think it's the weakest. As a second console it's the strongest however.
Old 11-29-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I say...go with the system that has the most games you most want to play.

I was undecided, and ended up buying a PS2 today, because there were a few games (GTA Vice City, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden 3, plus some of the greatest hits titles) on that system I really want to play, whereas XBox only has 1 or 2.

Everyone likes different games though, so you should see which one has the games YOU want.

Don't necessarily just go by the most powerful system though, I've made that mistake in the past, and ended up with a system that was almost instantly obsolete.

I'm sure I'll end up with XBox eventually, but for me, the games I want now are almost all on PS2 (except Toejam and Earl).
Old 11-29-02, 03:26 PM

consider Dreamcast. Inexpensive,great graphics and lots of good titles-consider nba2k2,nhl2k2,nfl2k2,sonic adventure 1&2,jet grind radio,the list goes on
Old 11-29-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ask yourself a couple of questions....

What games do I want to play?
Nobody buys a CD player because it's "technically the best". You buy one to listen to the Beatles or the Stones or whatever.

and

How much do I care about online gaming?

Old 11-29-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd spend some time reading a magazine or two as well as reviewing the games released for each console. Check the types of games you like or specific series/sequels you know you already like.

If you think online is your thing & you have broadband, and like sports games & FPS, then the X-Box is probably your thing.

If you like the stuff in the Greatest Hit Series, and have a lot of time to play games, but want them to be relatively cheap then the PS2 is probably your thing.

If you like Ninetendo First Party games, or the RE or Metroid series of games, and are not much on sports games then the GC might just be your thing.

I purchased a GC on the strength of my liking of the RE Series, and found that although I had never played any of the Metroid series, that I really like Metroid Prime, and a few others. The GC has been great for me, but I don't buy a lot of games, or have a ton of time to play.

I'd really like to have an X-Box, but not sure I have time for two consoles with new release games (I still have my DC also ).
Old 11-29-02, 07:22 PM

Best value? PS2
Best system? X-Box
Metroid? Gamecube
Old 11-30-02, 11:30 AM

I like Role playing games and sports games, and I don't care about on-line gaming. Which system is the best for me?
Old 11-30-02, 11:56 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by brad0478
I like Role playing games and sports games, and I don't care about on-line gaming. Which system is the best for me?
IMO, xbox is the best for sports and the PS2 is the best for RPG (as of now). Since your not interested in on-line gaming, I'd go for the PS2.