Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

just picked up MSG2 for xbox...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just picked up MSG2 for xbox...

only had about 15 minutes with the game so far. Maybe it's way early but I'm pretty disappointed.... First off, the graphics are just bleh. Maybe I've spoiled myself playing pc so much lately but MGS looks sort of 'outdated'. I can live with bad graphics but the control scheme is killing me! I mean I have a right thumbstick that just sits there dead with no funtion at all. And to get camera movement I have to click into first person view where I can't move only move camera around. I then jump back out to 3rd person and I can move but not move the camera at the same time grrrrr. And where's the jump button on this thing???

I really hope it grows on me some but so far its not doing it for me. Regretting not getting Time Splitters 2 instead...

am I missing something or are these controls/camera just the way it is.... please tell me I'll get used to it or there is some way to setup the right thumbstick as camera and left as person movement...
Old 11-25-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you haven't heard...MGS2 sucks.

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...

If you bought that game I suggest to sell it quickly!!
Old 11-25-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man I thought I remembered a lot of people raving about it..... even now many forums people are comparing it to Splinter Cell. But from what I've played of the SC demo they are worlds apart....
Old 11-25-02, 03:15 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The graphics aren't going to impress X-box fans. According to EGM they weren't updated for the X-box, and look exactly the same as the year old PS2 game.
Old 11-25-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd hate to be the one to break it to you but the camera on Metal Gear Solid, and Sons Of Liberty for PS2 at least, remains in a "locked" position. Meaning that there is little in the way of Camera manipulation. I haven't played Substance yet (being the PS2 version is some months away) but I imagine that the camera would also be locked also. That's the one thing that set Metal Gear apart from the other 3rd person adventure games. As in game like Tomb Raider for example, would have the character centered and move the environment around him/her. Metal Gear would have a fairly stationary environment and the character would move through out it freely.

If you're used to playing first person shooters, you might be a bit let down by the Metal Gear "style" of game at first. But give it a chance. It may surprise you down the road, and if not sell it and get something else.

Old 11-25-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Wow....I can't believe that everyone is bashing this game. The story line was very poor from what I remember of the PS2 version, but the gameplay is great. I was considering picking it up for XBOX even though I already have, and beat the PS2 version just to play the VR missions.
Old 11-25-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My friend at Sony told me they did the Xbox port poorly on purpose. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

I will say that I thought MGS2 was pretty sucky... I liked the gameplay, but there were just so many movies and cut scenes and the story was simply awful. Substance looked interesting to me because of all the extras and the ability to play as Snake instead of Wonder Boy in a leotard... but after hearing about the bugs and the slowdowns, I easily lost interest again. Splinter Cell is lightyears ahead of MGS2.
Old 11-25-02, 04:06 PM

I got MGS2 over the weekend for xbox and I.......

...like it.

Now granted, I haven't played the story portion yet, but I have spent about 25 hours on the VR missions. I just think it's fun. Does it look great or take advantage of the xbox? No. But it more than compensates in gameplay for me.

The only problem I have had was with the booklet that came with it. The pages were not cut properly and half of them were cut off mid-page. One of the more bizarre problems I have had with a game.
Old 11-25-02, 06:39 PM

I don't know where everyone gets these slowdowns complaints from. I've maybe seen one instance where there was some minimal slowdown while running in the rain in the beginning but it was nothing that bother me. After that I haven't seen a touch of slowdown.
Old 11-25-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
My friend at Sony told me they did the Xbox port poorly on purpose. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
Why would they waste all that money and time just to do the Xbox port poorly?
Old 11-25-02, 07:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's more likely that they new it would sell well if they didn't enhance it and just added a bunch of extra modes, and that would increase their profit margin by not having to spend as much time and employee hours on it. It's just a quick cash in.
Old 11-25-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MGS2 was probably my biggest disappointment.

The gameplay was good, not as good as MGS though. For a game that is as focused on story as MGS, if it is bad, it ruins the game for me.

The VR missions are probably cool at least.

I played a touch of MGS2:S and it seems like a great package for fans of the game.
Old 11-26-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've not had any prior experience with the series but I am simply hating this whole camera thing!! grrrrr.... Click in to look around but can't move. Click out to move around but can't look.... again, double grrrr.. Don't know if I'll be able to overcome or not. I suppose by 'gameplay' you all are not talking about the camera/control thing
Old 11-26-02, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up an xbox copy a couple weeks ago and checked it out. I did notice the 'slowdown' that was reported on some of the in game effects, and ended up taking it back.

I didn't like the button config on it (over the ps2) version. Then Again, I'm probably just use to the controls from the ps2 version, and MGS.

I already had an import version of VR missions from MGS years ago, and couldn't see keeping the xbox version just for the new extras they tossed in.

I've been playing Spinter Cell for the last few nights though.

-k
###
Old 11-26-02, 09:48 AM

These guys took an awesome game that had a perfect blend of action and cinemas and ruined it for MGS2. MGS2 falls way short IMO with the same exact gameplay but tons and tons of cinemas and crappy dialogue. I'm amazed every single time I see this game getting super high ratings.