Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

It's been one looooong week of LIVElessness!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent my Xbox off last week to get the new Philips drive put in to get rid of those pesky disc read errors that the Thomson (RCA) DVDdrive is famous for causing.

I got it back yesterday. Only it wasn't the original one that I sent them. I called MS and found out that they sent me a refurbished one that has the new Philips DVD drive in it instead of the crappy Thomson (RCA) one. They even copied all my saved files including Xbox LIVE Beta info to the refurbed console HD. All I had to do was set the time and other parameters that I had set in the old console.

It feels good to be back on LIVE again!

Last edited by WOWZY; 11-13-02 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to hear that you back on LIVE Maggot vomit.

Did you get MechAssault?
Old 11-13-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh. Difference in DVD readers?

Do they new systems (the ones that come with JSRF and Sega GT 2002) have the old or new one? I am curious because the thing won't read the last track of a music CD I have that has nothing other than minor scuffs on the surface.
Old 11-13-02, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by goLUCKY
I'm glad to hear that you back on LIVE Maggot vomit.

Did you get MechAssault?
No not yet. I plan on getting it maybe this weekend. I'll be on MotoGp in a little while since the wife and kids are in bed.

pixyboi, I have heard that the new Philips drives are in the new Xbox's manufactured after Sept 16 2002, but don't quote me on that. The bundles have had units manufact. dates on them as far back as March of this year so I wonder if MS is trying to unload the ones left that still have the Thomson drive in them. The Xbox CS guy told me that refurbed ones most definately have the new Philips drive in them.

This one seems to be working great as I've been able to play all of my OXM discs, games, DVD's and CD's without a hitch. Something I wasn't able to do since I got the first (#3) OXM disc. Something tells me that buying a refurbed Xbox unit right now is the best way to go until they get rid of all the ones that have the Thomson drive in them even though the majority haven't had any trouble with the old ones they bought since day one.