Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

turok: evolution opinons on x-box

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turok: evolution opinons on x-box

So, i read some reviews, grapics good, lots of gore, but the flying level sucks... any opinons?
Old 11-09-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not Good Enough.............

I'm a fan of Turok.

When I played turok 2 for N64 I was very pleased and I wanted to play more of it.

When Turok was announced for New platforms Xbox, PS2, GC I was very excited to own this new game.

I went to buy it and I when I played it I was very very very very dissapointed.

I didn't like the game!!!!!!!

The controls were rough with nasty graphics.

The only thing I liked was the flying levels and that's it.

I don't recommend to buy this game even if it's cheap. You'll probably regret that you did.
Old 11-09-02, 09:46 PM

I agree. This game is horrible on every level. If you read a review that says, "If you liked Turok on the N64, you'll like this" ignore it. They are delusional.

If you must find out for yourself rent this game first. Be sure to use one of those rent-two-for-the-price-of-one Blockbuster that are in every gaming magazine. I guarantee you will play more of the other game you rent. I know I sure did.
Old 11-09-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Turok is suck - it's better than Timesplitters 2, but it's still sucky. I'd rent it if your curiosity is insatiable.
Old 11-10-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Turok: Evolution, I've played on Xbox only but that being said wasn't horrible by any means, but isn't anything that particularly stands out. I enjoyed the 5 levels I played in single player, the multiplayer grew old quickly, however.

Pity Acclaim couldn't put the marketting of that game behind something a lil more worthwhile, though.
Old 11-10-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Turok is suck - it's better than Timesplitters 2, but it's still sucky. I'd rent it if your curiosity is insatiable.
I have to disagree. Timesplitters 2 was a hundred times better than Turok was. Turok had horrendous AI, ugly graphics, and boring levels. It was all focus on guns and not on gameplay.
TS2 has its problems as well, such as the loose aiming, but I found that overall it was a MUCH better package than the rush job that was Turok.
Old 11-10-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give you that much - Turok had terrible AI and ugly graphics and trees that would fall over and you could walk through the environment like you're a ghost and all that... however, the controls weren't half as bad as Timesplitters 2 (which made that game unplayable for me - everyone else seems to like TS2, so I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority on that one) and for my money, TS2's levels were lame and the graphics weren't any better than Turok... I know TS2 is supposed to have a great multiplayer experience (I guess provided you don't mind the controls etc...), but at least Turok has that one level where the T-Rex comes after you - that was kinda scary... well almost. Also - I didn't really hate the flying level... once you get past the lameness of it, it's almost kinda fun. Either way, both games suck and there's better shooters out there IMO.
Old 11-10-02, 11:27 AM

can someone elborate on the controls of TimeSplitters, be specific, what is so bad about it?
Old 11-10-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alot of people have no problem with it, so it's probably just me (and maybe a few other people) that hates it. You go to turn left and your gun aims towards the side of the screen - leading you. It's kinda like they tried to combine the controls for a real FPS with the controls for a game like House of the Dead or Area 51... I really hate it alot. When I'm holding a gun and walking around in real life, I don't aim the gun anywhere but where I'm looking... that's just common sense and the way you're supposed to do it. Even Steven Segal knows that. It just seems so whacked to be pointing the gun away from where you're looking in the direction you're turning. Plus, it just makes it that much harder to aim. In the single player game, enemies seem to take their sweet time in shooting at you like they're giving you a chance to figure out where your bullets are going to go. The crosshairs should stay locked in the very center of the screen IMO.
Old 11-10-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I rented it a few weeks ago. Kinda fun, but if you die at the end of the level or midway through or anywhere, you have to go all the way back to the beginning to start again -- pretty frustrating. The flying levels were kinda nifty though.

Think I'm waiting for Panzer Dragoon Orta and Yager (hopefully) for my flying fix though.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-10-02, 02:54 PM

one of the most annoying games I have ever played.
I really wanted to like it, but oh well.

I played all the way until the last frustrating level, then I go fed up with it and put the game away.
Old 11-10-02, 05:46 PM

It just seems so whacked to be pointing the gun away from where you're looking in the direction you're turning. Plus, it just makes it that much harder to aim.
Is there any benefit to this controller setup?

Why would they make the game like this? is there a reason?

what were they thinking? after the sucess of Bond and PerfectD, why would they go messing around with the controls?
Old 11-10-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skip Turok! Also TS2 was lame too! The Story mode is bad...but the arcade mode and multiplayer mode rule!! You got to love playing TS2 with some friends.
Old 11-10-02, 07:50 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I rented Turok, played about 2 levels and that was it. Horrible level design, lame AI and average graphics. I also rented TS2, and the only thing that keeps me from buying it is the completely non-sensical control discussed earlier in this thread. That game would be great were it not for the retarded weapon aiming, that and no jumping. What were they thinking??
Old 11-10-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah - no jumping... that is truly lame. I thought I was the only one who had issues with the controls of that game. I can't figure out why it's so popular. To me it's like if there was this car called the Santiago and it was the most popular car and it looked cool, but in order to drive it you had to stick your nuts in a vice and steer with your neck... I wouldn't ever be able to figure out the appeal with that either.
Old 11-11-02, 02:54 AM

Trigger, you must be talking about the aim mode. That is one of the lamest things I've seen in a game recently.

Why they did it? I don't know. This is why they invented dual analog sticks dammit. So we eliminate the need for a seperate aim mode. It's pretty much the same thing as PD's and Goldeneye's aim mode. But it was needed in those games because the N64 controller only had one analog stick.
Old 11-11-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
It does make it hard to aim, I Just remembered that. Just turn off the crosshair and use strafing to aim. That's what I do. Seems to make it easier, but you're right, that is nonsense that they did that.
Old 11-12-02, 08:05 PM

Yeah, you're talking about the goldeneye control scheme from N64, I hated it. IT made me sick but I feel the same way playing TS2, you move left, but then you have to recenter your gun, WTF? thank god I'm not the only one, why can't everything just control like halo? It's so intuitive, the first time I played it.....

I feel the same way now when I demoed Metroid @ kB, I'm not gonna like it. But then it might just take time getting used to.