Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quantum Redshift - I saw the light

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quantum Redshift - I saw the light

Okay, you might have read my sob story about not having those classic Psygnosis games on the next-gen systems, specifically Wip3out. I was reluctant to pick up Quantum Redshift for the XBox, becuase of the negative reviews I'd read. However, after learning the game was created by ex-Psygnosis staff and lead by the former head of Psygnosis, I was interested in giving it a chance. The recent price drop from $50 to $30 was too good to pass up, and now I am the proud owner of the game.

And I say proud, because it was exactly the game I was looking for.

To address all those negative reviews that said Quantum Redshift was a bland futuristic racer that didn't progress the genre, I say it does, but you need to understand the roots of the genre.

The original Wip3out title was a first of its kind to deliver high-speed, futuristic racing combined with weapon combat. Tracks were staged across the globe and covered all kinds of terrain, from hills to flat lands to makeshift courses through industrial wastelands. Weapon pickups were scattered throughout the tracks, and the hovercrafts simply had to fly over them to pick up a randomly selected weapon. The teams were much like F1, each with two pilots (drivers) - and if anyone ever sat with the original manual you would know they each their own backstory and rivalries with other drivers. This was never part of the gameplay, but created to give the game some personality.

Future Wip3out games drifted from this backstory. Although Wip3out XL delivered the best gameplay and graphics of the original bunch, they drifted from the backstory of the pilots and, if I believe correctly, eliminated the pilot's names from the actual game altogether. Wip3out 3 was the most bland of the original trilogy, opting to swap hi-resolution graphics and smooth framerates for graphical special effects and elaborate track details.

So when all the reviewers said Quantum Redshift wasn't a progression, it wasn't that didn't add anything new to the genre, but it went back to what gave the original Wip3out title so much personality and appeal and went up from there. Back are specific pilots, this time with fully fleshed-out backstories and rivalries that are a part of the gameplay. Reviewers said the rival aspect of the gameplay was lacking because it was stagnant, not dynamic like SSX. I have to say if the rivalries changed it would have taken away some of the personality of the pilots. The cut scenese with the pilots have also taken some heat, but I think they are amusing and really contribute to a true international atmosphere which the game has unmistakably made a priority throughout.

And back are the lavish rolling tracks and trackside eye-candy that made the original tracks the best of the series. As a matter of fact, the tracks in Quantum Redshift seem to mimic them to a tee, complete with the industrial wasteland of Russia (CCCP) and the snowcovered mountains of Europe. Playing these tracks made me reminisce of why I fell in love with the original Wip3out to begin with. And Curly Monsters, the developers of Quantum Redshift, did progress the genre by implementing a power-up aspect to the game. As you won races you earned credits that could be used to buy enhancements to your craft, and I have to say it works really well. And best of all, it supports customized soundtracks so I have been playing with all the original Wip3out tracks. The gameplay is so much like the original Wip3out, I felt right at home switching to the cockpit view when playing - the best view to play the original game and the best view here too. I loved how the turbo boost was implemented, as it really added some strategy to the game. And I was happy with the weapon selection. It isn't at random here like the original Wip3out, and I read one review the course you take on each track could be influenced by this. But I don't agree with this, because each type of weapon is scattered evenly and frequently throughout each track, and when you do try to get a certain type of weapon you better hope there isn't a craft in front of you because he'll take it from you.

What could have been improved? There are a few things. First, I didn't like the craft designs much, but that's only because I loved the originals so much. The originals were sleek and fast - here they are bulky and a little ugly, although some do sport some excellent decals. Another thing, there are not enough courses. Sure you get two versions of each course, but I think there's really only nine original courses, and then mirrors of them. There should have easily been double that number. Also with the tracks, there are effects such as weather and time of day, but they do not change with the track. This should have been customizable and maybe generated at random to keep things fresh. What is there is great, but it could have been better. There should be more craft per race as well. Although things do get crazy on the higher levels with only six craft per race, just think of how nuts it would be with 10 or 12 craft on a track at once. And just one more thing I need to nitpick about - no defensive weapons. The only defense you have is a shield. I would have loved to have been able to shoot a homing missle behind me, or had mines at my disposal. But the AI doesn't cheat like in the original Wip3out games. In those it seemed you could never win by more than a couple seconds, but in Quantum Redshift I've beaten the computer by 10-15 seconds easy.

There are close to 20 pilots to choose from after everything is unlocked, and I think that's great. I liked the cut scenes and rivalries, and I would definitely like to see them back for a sequel (hopefully there is one). Oh yea, and just one more thing - can you please bring back Designers Republic? That's just a personal preference...

For Wip3out fans or fans of the genre, Quantum Redshift is definitely worth the $30.

Jeremy
Old 11-09-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree, it's a great game. It's a shame, though, that it got no advertising whatsoever, especially for a 1st-party game. Wonder how well it's selling.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 11-09-02 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 06:13 PM

Judging by the price drop I would say not very well.

Best $30 game I have bought in a long time. I love this game.

The GI review was so terrible that I may never trust them again.

They complained about a lack of speed and "camel toes". Morons.
Old 11-09-02, 06:32 PM

For Wip3out fans or fans of the genre, Quantum Redshift is definitely worth the $30.
I disagree. I'm a big Wipeout fan and i rented QR hoping it would be fun game, but i found it to be mediocre and not worth a purchase. The game has very good graphics and plays fast on the higher difficulty levels, but i just didn't like the game. These are some of the problems i had with the game:

1. Only 6 racers on the track including yourself. After playing any of the Wipeout games, this is a disappointment.

2. I felt that the rivalries were a waste of time and the cutscenes were cheesy.

3. I didn't like the way the weapon system worked. I prefer the Wipeout games where you randomly pick up weapons/powerups and have the option of dumping one if you don't want it.

4. The lack of left/right airbrakes that would help you make sharp turns. There is only one brake.

5. The tracks you race on are pretty bland.

The positives are the great graphics and the option of using your custom soundtrack, but they don't outweigh the negatives IMO.

I'd advise Wipeout fans to rent this game before buying.
Old 11-09-02, 08:33 PM

Well, count me in Jrutz. I've been a longtime WipEout fan and although I miss the hardcore technique that the series featured, Quantum Redshift is simply fantastic. There's a lengthy review of it on my website, but to put it simply QR is a gorgeous WipEout Lite (which would normally be an insult, but the fact that QR is loads more fun to play than WipEout Fusion says a lot). And I'll never tire of the effect of submerging under water as lazers and missles zip over head.

Oh, and nice tip on the WipEout soundtrack option.

Larry
www.AssortedRamblings.com
Old 11-09-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played the game for about 10 minutes at EB, got bored with it and quit. It looked good, but it had no sense of speed whatsoever. There was nothing in it that drew me in to keep playing.
Old 11-09-02, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

No sense of speed? If you've only played for 10 minutes, then sure. But after taking a character up to Master and Redshift modes you'll be begging for them to slow the game down. Just like all the Wipeout games, they start you in a slow class and work you up from there. QR is FAST, don't think otherwise.
Old 11-09-02, 09:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by KingSmoth
I played the game for about 10 minutes at EB, got bored with it and quit. It looked good, but it had no sense of speed whatsoever. There was nothing in it that drew me in to keep playing.
I felt the same way about Metroid Prime at a kiosk, for some reason those kiosks don't lend themselves very well to enjoyable gaming. Doesn't mean the game is boring. I fully expect to enjoy Metroid Prime for example.

Playing on a kiosk != good gaming experience
Old 11-09-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I love QR and I love WipEout... The only thing missing from QR is the Quake weapon - that's the coolest thing in the series IMO... I think the tracks are fine because the mirror of the tracks are so vastly different, it's like another track entirely.

Alot of reviewers complained of the game getting to insanely difficult in the later stages when speed is blistering... I think they probably just suck.

As for defensive weapons - the shield is a defensive weapon - if you upgrade it, it has the potential to heal your craft when you're hit or it has the potential to reflect the shots fired at you onto the other craft. Quantum Redshift is alot more simple and intense than WipEout - WipEout is more variety and tactics while QR is more balls-out racing combat... back to basics I say. Except for the Quake weapon missing, it's perfect.
Old 11-09-02, 10:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Retro Gaming Moment] Anyone remember the arcade goodness that was Stun Runner? Was that essentially the first futuristic track racing game ever? [/Retro Gaming Moment]

Old 11-09-02, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
You haven't truly played the game. That's like playing an RPG for five minutes and saying you can't follow the plot. The game gets insanely fast, faster than any Wipeout game, and to the point where it takes a hell of a lot of skill to zip around a track without hitting the wall too many times. Really makes me think the Game Informer editor who reviewed this game barely put any time or effort into it, which makes me lose a lot of respet for the magazine. Not that I had much for them in the first place.
Old 11-10-02, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
[Retro Gaming Moment] Anyone remember the arcade goodness that was Stun Runner? Was that essentially the first futuristic track racing game ever? [/Retro Gaming Moment]
Is this that futuristic laserdisc based racing game by Midway? If it isn't, I thought the laserdisc game came before this one.
Old 11-11-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should we start a Quantum Redshift custom soundtrack thread? I've been playing with two soundtracks - one of all the original music created for the WipEout series, and another of tracks I've always wanted to hear in a WipEout game.

I could post the second one, possibly host some MP3 downloads from my site if anyone wants to sample them.

What does everyone think?

Jeremy
Old 11-11-02, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Yeah the $30 price tag was hard to ignore so I picked this up Friday. It's a great game from MS. Really the only thing missing was Live support, this game would've rocked on Live. Other than that it's perfect.
Old 11-11-02, 10:34 AM

On a somewhat releated note, anyone know if it would be possible to put an actual WipeoutXL disc in the Xbox and burn its soundtrack? I'd use the soundtrack CD, but it's not entirely the same music.
Old 11-11-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think so. I had my WipEout music converted to MP3 awhile ago so I just had to burn it to a CD first.

BTW, I've been able to burn MP3s to a CD via DiscJuggler 4.0 and the XBox reads them just fine. The Xbox doesn't read the CDs I've burned from Roxio EZ CD Creator, though.

Jeremy
Old 02-26-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Resurrecting this thread for some bad news from Gamers.com:

Curly Monsters Closes Down

By: D. F. Smith February 25, 2003 2:49 PM PST

According to a post by director/designer Nick Burcombe at the Edge Magazine forums, UK development studio Curly Monsters is closing down immediately. The developers of Quantum Redshift are apparently going their separate ways, after the futuristic racer met only lukewarm response, and plans for a sequel are going back on the shelf.

Burcombe did drop a few hints regarding what might have been, though -- the tentatively-titled "Quantum Redshift: Solaris" would have had Xbox Live support for eight-player racing, tracks on multiple planets with varying weather and gravity, better sound, and other cool stuff.

Unfortunately, it looks as if this will never happen, although we can hope that the Curly Monsters staff moves on to bigger and better things in the future.

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 02-26-03 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is $20 at best buy... almost picked it up yesterday. now i guess i will go back and get it.
Old 02-26-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by young
it is $20 at best buy... almost picked it up yesterday. now i guess i will go back and get it.
Use a $5 gamer coupon and take it home for $15.

PAL
Old 02-26-03, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
Resurrecting this thread for some bad news from Gamers.com:

Jeremy
Yeah, that sucks. It still pisses me off that Microsoft didn't do a damn thing to promote this game. It was a friggin 1st-party game for crissakes, and they didn't even air one commercial for it. For shame.
Old 02-26-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I saw some commercials for it, nothing special though. That fully sucks that we won't get an 8 player Live enabled version of this game. :/
Old 02-27-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the people who own BOTH Wipeout Fusion on PS2 AND Quantum Redshift on Xbox:
Which game do you like better, and why?
Old 02-27-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Joshic
For the people who own BOTH Wipeout Fusion on PS2 AND Quantum Redshift on Xbox:
Which game do you like better, and why?
I borrowed a PS2 to play Fusion when it came out, since I was a long running fan of the series. I played it for about 10 minutes and gave up. Something was not right and I'm not sure.. well obviosuly the first thing I notcied was the amount of bugs/glitches/problems with the game. How this got through QC is beyond me. The soundtrack seemed to be a thrown together collection of MTV Amped tracks, not thoughtfully produced soundtracks as the last 3 games had. I wanted to like the game, I was looking forward to it since the day the PS2 was announced, but for some reason it just really, really, let me down. It was one of the games I would've bought a PS2 for..

Quantum on the other hand, was sleek and solid.. gameplay was tight, no bugs, and a nice soundtrack produced for the game, not a throw together of random tracks. The characters, I thought, were stupid, and liked the Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3 idea of just choosing your ship.. The weapon system is great, and different.

Last edited by PixyJunket; 02-27-03 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-27-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Use a $5 gamer coupon and take it home for $15.

PAL
being a proud member of the cheapskate club , i picked it up today w/ the $5 coupon. whoo hoo!

(they didn't have hotshots golf for the ps2 though...)