Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ps2 Price Drop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ps2 Price Drop?

I read in PSM that they believe that the ps2 will drop in price before December, I have one of the initial run ps2's that are now dead or dying (mine still works). I could trade it in and get another ps2 if/when the price drops to save myself 120 bucks down the road for a repair~ I can survive w/o a ps2 for a while, I still have a Gamecube to keep me running (metroid, RE 0, PSO). So what do you guys think are the chances of a price drop? I think PSM gave it 65% probability or something, but then again they are just a magazine.
Old 11-08-02, 12:24 PM

With the lead that they have, Sony doesn't really have to do anything. It depends on how much it's costing them to make PS2s and the rate they're selling them at now. If their manufacturing costs are down and they feel that sales are slowing then we can expect a price drop. I have no idea what the stats are in these departments.

I'm dying to get one, so I hope they do drop the price (or make a bundle). Unfortunately, I really doubt that they will feel the need to try and compete with the other two system bundles, since their lead is already so large.
Old 11-08-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

doubt it., but if they do, it will be before thanksgiving.

if you look around, you can get one for $179 shipped, and with all of the $20 games, you'd be crazy not to get one if you didn't have one already.

in your case, i'd sit tight as long as yours works. the price certainly isn't going up, and if yours lasts another year, you'll be in good shape for the inevitable price drop by next x-mas.
Old 11-08-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a lot of people out there with launch units that are still working perfectly. I wouldn't worry about it breaking down, especially if it's still working right now.
Old 11-08-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clearly the price drop will come 31 days after I purchase mine.
Old 11-08-02, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Then go buy one quick....then I only have to wait a month.
Old 11-08-02, 02:24 PM
Retired

I'd be very surprised to see one. They know they've got this generaation wrapped up.
Old 11-08-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
It won't happen. These stupid rumor always happen right around Christmas time.
Old 11-08-02, 03:06 PM
Banned

I have a launch PS2 and mine works fine, for now. My question is, why is it that someone should have to replace an electronics device this frequently?. It's not like we replace a tv or DVD player every two years or so, so why is that we find ourselves having to replace our consoles so often?

I know I had to replace my PS1 twice during the time I used it and it's inevitable that I'll have to replace my PS2 at least once. I take as good a care of my PS2 as I do my other electronic devices, so it it crappy construction/inferior parts? For the price I paid for it ($300 at the time) I would expect something alot more durable.
Old 11-08-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
the story of my life.
Old 11-08-02, 03:50 PM
Banned

No way it'll drop. With Vice City out, everyone wants a PS2, again, this Christmas. That being said, if it hits $175 or so, I'm there in a second.
Old 11-08-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well could they drop the price? yes. The costs have continued to drop I am sure and they could get it to around $169-179 if they wanted to.

Of course why not keep those profits and drop the price next year around E3 again.

I do think they will get down to around $149 or so by next May or June.

This will continue to increase the odds of MS continung to lose money so i am sure they will do this.

I really see no reason to drop the price before XMas however only Sony has the internal data on sales to show if they should do this to increase sales.
Old 11-08-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Historically, price drops happen in the spring. The kids will be getting out of school soon so a price drop then gets some attention in the competition for kids' play time during warm weather months.

If they do anything between now and Christmas, it will be in the form of a bundle deal, maybe with a different package for various retailers.
Old 11-08-02, 06:44 PM

just got my ps2 back today, took it on friday to ship out the guy behind the counter said he could'nt get it out til monday, whoa talk about fast.

the problem?, it was working fine, then all of a sudden it would'nt read any discs, ps2 or psx, called sony on tues oct 29th and talked to some tech rep who walked me through a few steps still did'nt work so he told me to to send it in and he would wave the fee.

** bought my ps2 last year in july, could these models be defective?, as the rep did'nt even suggest a fee he flat out said we'll take care of it and wave the fee?

Last edited by psxfan2; 11-08-02 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by psxfan2
just got my ps2 back today, took it on friday to ship out the guy behind the counter said he could'nt get it out til monday, whoa talk about fast.

the problem?, it was working fine, then all of a sudden it would'nt read any discs, ps2 or psx, called sony on tues oct 29th and talked to some tech rep who walked me through a few steps still did'nt work so he told me to to send it in and he would wave the fee.

** bought my ps2 last year in july, could these models be defective?, as the rep did'nt even suggest a fee he flat out said we'll take care of it and wave the fee?
maybe the rep was just being nice after he tried to walk you thru things he decided to waive the fee in your case. I am sure they are allowed to do this if they feel it is warranted. Maybe in your case he did.
Old 11-09-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are waiving the fee because they fear being sued. PS2's are junk, I've owned 3 already. People also come in my store all the time to tell me that theirs quit working/won't play some discs. Sony should really look to Nintendo, my NES still works with a little patience.
Old 11-09-02, 03:19 AM

Both of my PS2s are launch units (JP and US) and I've had no problems.

Sucks to be you tenaciousdave.
Old 11-09-02, 07:15 AM

oh forgot to say, if they do drop by christmas i'll be picking up a 2nd since i got my kids gta vice city i get no no chance to play.
Old 11-09-02, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
They are waiving the fee because they fear being sued. PS2's are junk, I've owned 3 already. People also come in my store all the time to tell me that theirs quit working/won't play some discs. Sony should really look to Nintendo, my NES still works with a little patience.
a nes has no moving part also, so i would say they should look to atari since my original 2600 still works fine too.
Old 11-09-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Manager friend of mine at EB said that the X-Box will be dropping to 150 soon... If so, most likely ps2 will follow.
Old 11-10-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dgmayor
Manager friend of mine at EB said that the X-Box will be dropping to 150 soon... If so, most likely ps2 will follow.
actually if that is true than all three consoles will drop in price since I doubt that the GC would stay at $149 if the other consoles were the same price.

Of course unless the price drop is happening in the next day or two a manager at EB is far too low level to be given advance notice of a console price drop.

I guess we will see soon.
Old 11-10-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
actually if that is true than all three consoles will drop in price since I doubt that the GC would stay at $149 if the other consoles were the same price.

Of course unless the price drop is happening in the next day or two a manager at EB is far too low level to be given advance notice of a console price drop.

I guess we will see soon.

You'd be suprised the kind of information you can get heh. When I worked there I knew more about what was happening than and what was going to happen before my own District Manager. It's all who you know, and well, he knows the same people.
Old 11-10-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

for now in Canada, futureshop has it on sale at 279$ (down from 299) with a free old sports game (might include classics, I dont know)... this is just something the store is doing
Old 11-10-02, 11:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here we go again. This time last year, there was at least one thread like this every week, and the price drop didn't occur until Spring.
Old 11-10-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
my only question is why would you buy something you consider junk 3 times? If I bought a PS2 and it broke, I might be tempted to buy a second one if I really enjoyed the first one until it broke. If the second one broke I would never consider buying the third. If I hated it enough to call it junk there is no way I would have kept the first one long enough for it to break. I guess it's a good thing that there is an xbox and gamecube available for those people who think the ps2 is junk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.