Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Steel Batallion - Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
Gamespot gave it a 7.3
Xbox owners learned long ago to pretty much ignore Gamespot. To be more helpful, suggest this instead: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/21845.asp
Old 11-27-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Whoa - got mine today from buy.com

The controller is huge, but it's not heavy, so it's fine sitting on my lap. The game itself is crazy... your viewscreen is small, so having a large TV is pretty essential. The controller lights up and stuff which is really cool - it's also really well made - not cheap and flimsy. The sticks and foot pedals are all really tight and have plenty of resistance. There is some assembly required, but it sets up in a few minutes.

The game has some really weak cut scenes to start off with and I wasn't very impressed, but once you're strapped in and moving around it's fun as hell. There's quite a learning curve on this game, but alot of it comes naturally. It's going to take me awhile to get "good" at it. So far I suck. It seems like there's plenty of upgrades later in the game which will be cool. I'm not a mech fan, but this is definitely a unique experience. The developers names appear on the bottom of the controller indicating they are very proud of what they've accomplished... I think they should be.

The game isn't perfect, but it's easily worth 200 bucks since there's no experience that comes close to this short of buying a mech or buying one of those huge arcade machines for your house for thousands of dollars.
Old 11-28-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Xbox owners learned long ago to pretty much ignore Gamespot. To be more helpful, suggest this instead: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/21845.asp
I'm an Xbox owner and I trust Gamespot.
Old 11-28-02, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I don't trust any reviews. I do read them though - I notice that Gamespot and alot of others tend to seem a little anti-Xbox. 7.5 is a little low I think for this game... I'd rate it an 8 and I'm pretty harsh on games. I kinda agree with their scores of this game except I'd give it a 6 for value (instead of 4) and a 9 for gameplay (instead of a 6) because this is a total blast and it's a unique experience. Seems like alot of these review sites lower their scores if a game is difficult - they need to improve on their skills maybe instead. These review sites are just gamers who got a job writing reviews, so it's not like their word is gospel or that it means more than any of our comments here.
Old 11-28-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way - how do you save when you're between missions? Do you just turn off the game? It won't let me back out to the main menu and I wanna come back to where I am rather than do the first and second mission again.
Old 11-28-02, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
By the way - how do you save when you're between missions? Do you just turn off the game? It won't let me back out to the main menu and I wanna come back to where I am rather than do the first and second mission again.
I haven't set mine up yet, but from what I read in the reviews, the saves are done automatically.

Don't forget to make a backup of your save data!! Read this from the Gamespot review (gave it a 7.3):

"Steel Battalion is as hard-core as console gaming gets. The game is a mech sim that recalls the feel of the location-based BattleTech mech combat simulators. The controller is gigantic and intentionally cumbersome. The game itself is deliberately punishing, too. When you begin play, you'll first create and name a pilot. As you progress, that pilot will earn credits that can be used to buy new VTs or the ability to resupply in the field. Should that pilot die because you failed to eject from an exploding mech before it went critical, or should you lose so many mechs that you don't have enough credits to purchase another one, the game ends--and erases your pilot's save data. Game over, big time.

Old 11-29-02, 01:11 AM

Gotta love the "Buy It Now" prices for this package on eBay. $475 and $500.

Ebay sellers are crazy.

DW
Old 11-29-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew that if you didn't eject that you would die and lose your character, but I wasn't sure if I could just turn it off between campaigns and come back later at the same point. Thankfully I can. This game is really cool. So... I'm stuck on the level (5 I think) where I have to destroy this battleship that's docked... I can get to it just fine, but then it shoots at me like crazy so I die every time. Is there something I should be doing differently? Standing further back was my next try.
Old 11-29-02, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
I can get to it just fine, but then it shoots at me like crazy so I die every time. Is there something I should be doing differently?
Don't get shot like crazy.

DW
Old 12-03-02, 09:48 AM

I am thinking of buying this game today or tomorrow, but before I do I wanna make sure those of you who have had it a while still like/love it ???

And is there any more info on releasing an online or part 2 any time soon? I know it was mentioned, but no def. word. Also what about downloadable content via Xbox Live?

And can anyone explain more about the number of levels and what you can unlock, number of VTs?

I guess I just want you to talk me into buying it

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old 12-03-02, 09:53 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I wish I had more time to play it actually. Having a almost 2 year old kills all my video game time. Unfortunately, this game takes time to learn i.e. controller and I don't have the time I may end up selling it sadly
Old 12-03-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dek, sell it to me! I can't seem to find this anywhere
Old 12-03-02, 10:04 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I'm willing to sell it for what I paid for it, 218 or so. Don't have the reciept in front of me. Plus shipping. Let me know if you want it still. I only have played it 3 times, still have everything, all mint.
Old 12-03-02, 10:05 AM

Lastblade: if you want to buy it Gamestop will order it for a $50 down payment and have it in 2 days for store pickup. no shipping for you. I spoke to a Gamestop manager the other day about it. I might trade in my PS2 and some games for it.
Old 12-03-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trading in a system and games just for one game.......ehhhhh?????????
Old 12-03-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KingSmoth
Trading in a system and games just for one game.......ehhhhh?????????
Old 12-03-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Josh, thanks, I need to find a gamestop near me!
Old 12-04-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's tempting, but I think I'll pass not being into Mech games at all. I'd be more interested if the controller could be used for other games besides Steel Battallion and Steel Battallion 2.

Does anyone who has it think it would work well with other types of games like flight simulators or anything else complex like that?
Old 12-05-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Roto
It's tempting, but I think I'll pass not being into Mech games at all. I'd be more interested if the controller could be used for other games besides Steel Battallion and Steel Battallion 2.

Does anyone who has it think it would work well with other types of games like flight simulators or anything else complex like that?
I don't have it (yet, prebought it waiting for shipment), but based on all the pics, I don't think the controller is really suitable for anything other than SB (or its planned sequel). It is really designed specifically for the game and people who have used it said it won't even work for Virtual On (Dual Joystick). Too bad, the possibility is there tho.
Old 12-05-02, 08:22 PM

I went tonight to put my $50 down payment on it. The guy at Gamestop said it "should" arrive on Tuesday. They had a returned one in the store. That is one big box