Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

eBay and Idiots Don't Mix

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jasonr114
now, say that I accidentally placed my Matrix DVD in the VHS category --- but as in my auction example, the description states that the movie is in DVD format. --- would you suggest that i was intentionally trying to pass off the DVD as VHS?
No, it would just look like you made a mistake in choosing the category. If you listed it in the VHS category and wrote "VHS" in the title, then it would look bad. But that's still not a great example, because there would be no incentive for you to pass off a DVD as a VHS. The VHS version wouldn't sell for triple the price of the DVD; a game, however, would sell for much higher than just a strategy guide.
Old 11-09-02, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i agree with the people who indicated that he did not place the words "strategy guide" in the title for the express purpose of having more people view his auction.

however, he stated in the auction descrition: "this is not the game" and "this is a strategy guide"

so, really there are no excuses about for the winners who ran the price up

again, if you revisit the bid history it is quite clear that half of the people bidding on the auction new what it was, the other half were too dumb/lazy to read the auction and bid on it regardless of what the descrition said.

if you were to switch my Matrix Scenario, so that i was now selling a VHS copy, and placed it in a DVD category, yet wrote in the auction description "VHS" or better yet wrote "this is not a DVD" and "you are bidding on a VHS tape"

i am assumining that some of you would feel this auction is still misleading?
Old 11-09-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, there is no way the sellers did not know what he was doing. He is just using the ignorance of people who don't read properly. I don't know, but I like my money enough to actually read the whole auction regardless of how long it is and I will Email my questions.

It's also hard to say where he should list the guide auction. Is there a category called game guide? If not, he would indeed have to list it under games, since it's obviously not a book of any kind. The title is misleading, but he is blunt and honest in his, here is the kicker 2 lines of auction, if you can't read 2 lines of text to confirm the auction, it's your bloody faulty.

It's underhanded and I don't agree, but he uses the stupidity of people with too much money to make a buck, did not break the law and is probably following Ebay regulations.
Old 11-09-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

here is the kicker 2 lines of auction, if you can't read 2 lines of text to confirm the auction, it's your bloody faulty.
exactly
Is there a category called game guide
this is a strategy guide section
It's underhanded
i understand this point of view, but dont agree at all... the description of the auction is just that, a descrition.

let's look at another typical auction, say i wanted to buy
a bottle of "stakcer 2" fat burning pills, or any other bottle or pills for that matter...

Auction Title:
"1 Bottle or Stacker 2 Worlds Strongest Fat Burner"

Auction Description:
1 Bottle Stacker 2
World's Strongest Fat Burner
this auction is for a 20 count bottle
see my other auctions for 30, 60, 90 count bottles
email with questions
buyer to pay shipping

Using the logic that i have read in this thread, this auction title is misrepreseting the item?

Why? you ask, well as a Stupid and Iliterate eBayer i DID NOT read the description (just like the GTA VC SG auction) and i wanted to get a 60 count bottle, but instead, because i didnt read the description, i ran the price up on a 20 ct bottle auction to what a 60 ct bottle would cost.

and of course, most people would be throughly confused, cause when you search for "stacker 2 60" on ebay, this auction would be listed. beucase the eBay search scans the title and descrition, so it MUST be a 60 count bottle regardless of what the description says.

Of course, maybe if i add a line of text like "this is not a 30, 60, 90 coutn bottle" mabye that would be better? well, of course not, cause as we saw early, the seller indicated this TWICE in the auction, and this was not sufficent to blame the buyer for the incident.

Time to thin the herd....
I agree. Part of the reason stupid people remain stupid forever is because intelligent people make up excuses for there dumb mistakes. If this idiot buyer pays $50 for something that costs $10 a few more times, i assure you he will learn to read the descriptions, or he will stop using ebay!

Today it seems like we always try to find someone else to blame for our mistakes.

Why blame the person who didnt read the auction? When you can blame the seller? Better yet, blame EBAY cause they are strict enough on monitoring their auctions, they should have more monitiroing prevent people form having misleading auctions, that seems like an even better solution.
Old 11-10-02, 10:37 AM

I bought one of those wholesale lists for $9.99 once and then tried to resale it with ultra visiblity listings $24.00 to list it. 2 people bought it so basically I lost $4.00. Trust me don't even mess with it. Though. . . I am thinking of taking a few hours and combining all the information all over the net and creating a "NEW" vice city cheats auction. Those seem to be selling. Messege to Morons: Look out for my cheap vice city cheats auction, coming soon!!