Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone having trouble with the new XBox Bundle?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had to return 3 xboxes because everyone of them turned out to be defective. Is this normal? I am thinking that there might be a bad batch or something. I don't know if I should return it and get a refund or try and get another one. Reading the warranty and finding out that they only give 90 days leads me to believe that they aren't very confident in the xbox. How long is the warranty for PS2 and the Gamecube?

Anyway, I am getting quite pissed off. What should I Do?
Old 10-29-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
30 - 90 days is a standard electronics warranty. There are a few appliances and electronics that carry a one year warranty, but I can't think of any. I don't know about the warranty for PS2 or GCN, but I would guess that they are the same - I could be wrong of course. Sony electronics in general all carry a fairly short warranty period I think. If it doesn't break in the first month, you should be good. I'd try again - maybe from a different store (perhaps the shipment crate that store got was dropped off a plane or something).
Old 10-30-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Anyone having trouble with the new XBox Bundle?

Originally posted by jiggawhat
I have had to return 3 xboxes because everyone of them turned out to be defective. Is this normal? I am thinking that there might be a bad batch or something. I don't know if I should return it and get a refund or try and get another one. Reading the warranty and finding out that they only give 90 days leads me to believe that they aren't very confident in the xbox. How long is the warranty for PS2 and the Gamecube?

Anyway, I am getting quite pissed off. What should I Do?
I haven't heard of any problems with the new Xbox bundle. What store did you buy them from? Maybe that store just got a bunch of rejects. I say get your money back and buy the Xbox bundle from a different store.

The PS2 also has a 90 day warranty and the Gamecube has a one-year warranty.
Old 10-30-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, that's right - the GC does seem to be known for having a great warranty and replacement program (you send yours in for fixin' and they send you a refurbished one that works and fix yours in their leisure or whatever... beats waiting for weeks or months)... I forgot about that.

I've never had anything break within the warranty period - it's either right away (so I can get a replacement from place of purchase) or it's after the warranty expires. I did get a new A/C unit through my home warranty, but had to spend half the summer (in Arizona mind you) with no A/C while I was arguing with the warranty company and then all monsoon season with a leaky roof cuz they did a crappy job and took 4 attempts before getting my roof fixed.
Old 10-30-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They did redisign the XBox a bit to reduce costs ;however, I have not heard anyone mention any widespread issues with defects.

All three companies seem to be pretty close on defects rates with all of them being very low.

I agree to get it from a new store since maybe they either got a bad shipment or someone was playing kick the baby with their XBoxes
Old 10-30-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't production recently move from Mexico to China? Not sure if that's a forward, backward or lateral move.
Old 10-30-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gromit
Didn't production recently move from Mexico to China? Not sure if that's a forward, backward or lateral move.
It all comes down to which country has the smartest 8 year old kids.
Old 10-30-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first one I bought was defective. When I went to exchange it at EB, they informed me that they only allow one exchange on consoles, so in a moment of weakness I bought an extended warranty.
Old 10-30-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What happened to it? Like how did it fail on you?
Old 10-30-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine refused to load Halo, and the FMV in Oddworld was skipping. It was probably a problem with the DVD-ROM drive.
Old 10-30-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm... guess I should try out some different games in the next month or so to make sure things are OK.
Old 10-30-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problems here

I've played Halo, NFL2K3 & the JSRF & Sega GT 2000 games without a hitch.

Last edited by Deadpool; 10-30-02 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-30-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are the problems with rental games or ones you bought? Rentals get scratched more often.
Old 10-30-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was in EB earlier and a guy was returning his Xbox that he bought last night. I didn't hear the exact reason but I did hear him say that it wouldn't work.
Old 10-30-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by teplitsa
Are the problems with rental games or ones you bought? Rentals get scratched more often.
It was definitely the console, not the games.
Old 10-30-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the xbox at target. The first one had a problem reading the sega gt/jsrf disc. The disc was totally clean and it was telling me that it needs cleaning or is damaged. The second one had the whole top of it smashed. The third one just stop working all of sudden when I was playing a rented halo. I tried the bundled disc and that doesn't work. Now it doesn't even boot to the main screen. I am going to try one last xbox and if that doesn't work no more xbox and going to get a ps2 or GC.
Old 10-30-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to a EB type store like Funcoland,Software Etc.,Babages and buy the bundle there with a 2 year warrenty and save yourself the problems you would have if you bought it at BB or CC,just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

played my xbox (bundle version) 007: agent underfire enough between last thursday (10/24) when i bought is at target and yesterday (10/30) to beat it on agent setting.

the xbox frooze one time in mid-play, only problem.
Old 10-30-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
They did redisign the XBox a bit to reduce costs
do you have more specific info? what did they change?

i haven't yet had any issues w/ the new xbox limited set except that i suck at halo...
Old 10-31-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The one I got so far has worked the best. It has worked for a whole 5 hours now. Pray for me.
Old 11-03-02, 04:37 PM

I went two nights ago and bought an xbox. Found out the next day about the holiday bundle so I exchanged it (who wouldn't want free stuff). The GT 2002 game wouldn't play and when other games started up they had flashes on the screen at first. I took the game disk back (bought it at Sam Goody's) and it worked fine on their demo system. GT 2002 started right up. So, I brought the whole thing back for another one since it was the console. Haven't tried the new one yet, still at work. Here's hoping for good luck. Did get the 2 year warranty for $25, just in case.
Old 11-03-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My bundle works fine. Ive played GT3/JSF, Buffy, NFL2k3, Crazy Taxi 3 and Shen-mue II and they all work fine. Thats a strange mix of games :-)

capt