Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

One-And-Only GTA Vice City Impressions and Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
One-And-Only GTA Vice City Impressions and Review Thread

Well, the waiting is finally over. Some lucky sods will be picking this game up tonight (I'm not one of them, though ). I thought it was time to close up the news thread and start with the reviews. Please post here once you pick up the game and give it a spin.

Have fun!
Old 10-28-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Word on the IGN GTA boards is that IGN gave it a 9.7, and Gamespot a 9.6.
Old 10-28-02, 08:11 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I didn't know it had constant DTS capability. My home theater is going to get an Eighties workout tomorrow night.
Old 10-28-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up my copy an hour ago. I had a copy pre-ordered at Babbage's, but got mine from EB. I went there tonight to get some DC games, and they knew I had pre-ordered VC at Babbage's. The guys said to me "We just got our shipment in, first place to get it. If you want, go get your money back from Babbage's, and we'll sell you one of our copies right now, and you'll be the first person in the city with the game." Sho nuff I did, and I started up a little rivalry between the two stores(both in the mall). Anyway, I'm about to start it up now, then I'll post my impressions later.
Old 10-28-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Flay
Wow. I didn't know it had constant DTS capability. My home theater is going to get an Eighties workout tomorrow night.
DTS capabilites?? I thought the PS2 could only do 5.1 and even that was limited?
Old 10-28-02, 09:05 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Spy021
DTS capabilites?? I thought the PS2 could only do 5.1 and even that was limited?
The PS2 cannot do Dolby Digital 5.1 sound in-game, only in cutscenes. Example: Metal Gear Solid 2.

However the PS2 can do in-game DTS 5.1. Example: SSX Tricky
Old 10-28-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to bestbuy in the morning. I know the ad says wednesday, but my Bestbuy guy says they might be out tomorrow morning. I just want to be sure i get a copy before the rush.
Old 10-28-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far the game is hella fun. It looks better than GTAIII, and runs a whole lot faster/smoother. Finally, your character does a lot of talking. The game so far is a lot like Scarface and Carlito's Way.
I've had a lot of cool things happen already:
- Ran up to a chick on a moped, punched her in the face, knocked her off, and drove off.
- Stole a Vette, was flying around, whipped a U into oncoming traffic. A guy on a motorcycle went "OH SH*T!" and slammed on the brakes, and slid right into the side of the Vette and went flying.
- Was flying down the road in a car, hit the switch vehicle button, and the guy jumped out. The car flew down the road and t-boned a Jeep Wrangler. Finally, jumping from fast-moving cars.
- Lots of cool commercials on the radio stations, as well as the music. End clip of one was "..."Go back to your homes, Florida does not want you. Please, die somewhere else".
- Came across a motorcycle, but passed it up for the Vette. Have driven around on a few mopeds though, pretty cool swerving through traffic and tight places on one.
This game rocks, hopefully you have it pre-ordered.
Old 10-28-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PS2 cannot do Dolby Digital 5.1 sound in-game, only in cutscenes. Example: Metal Gear Solid 2.

However the PS2 can do in-game DTS 5.1. Example: SSX Tricky

Thanks for the clarification... Without starting a war about DD 5.1 vs DTS, since both allow for 5.1 sound - why would they use DD 5.1 for cutscenes only and not just do the whole thing in DTS?

Also, are there any other PS2 games that are presented in DTS?
Old 10-28-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by KingSmoth
This game rocks, hopefully you have it pre-ordered.
Oh Man!!! The game sounds so SWEEEEEEEEET!!!! Too bad I have to wait until sometime next week to get my copy since I ordered it through the Amazon/Toys R Us, Buy 2 get 1 free deal. But it definately sounds like it is worth waiting for.....and then some.
Old 10-28-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait to pick up my PS2 and Vice City. I will be getting it from Best Buy, who won't have it until Wed. However, a tiny voice in my head is telling me to check there tomorrow just in case.

Oh yea, by the way... does anyone know if EB will price match Best Buy on Vice City?
Old 10-28-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NHL 2003 has DTS sound.
Old 10-28-02, 11:42 PM
Banned

Wow, I may have to get a PS2.

This coming from someone 3 doors away from a roomate with one.
Old 10-29-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's coming out tomorrow someplaces, Wednesday for some...

Who knows?

I've had mine for a week, I think it's badass.

I can't stand it when people complain that it's 'just an upgraded GTA3'. WTF do you think Madden 2003 is? It's an upgrade of Madden 2002, but that doesn't mean that it's any less fun/good.

GTA Vice is rad.
Old 10-29-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't stand it when people complain that it's 'just an upgraded GTA3'. WTF do you think Madden 2003 is? It's an upgrade of Madden 2002, but that doesn't mean that it's any less fun/good.
Actually I think the annual sports game 'updates' are mostly ridiculous, but I agree that GTA:VC is more than that.
Old 10-29-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the game is fun. i had some issues at first but turned the trails off and that seemed to make things better. the motorcycles are really fun to ride and jacking them is cool.

it's gonna take quite some time to learn just the first island, there are tons and tons of alleys and back streets.

the cop cars are green, and the police wear a tan uniform, at times it was difficult to spot them before killing people.

money is rare, such that when passing a mission to get 100 bucks. i think i got 200 for the second mission.

there are alot of houses/building and stores that you can buy, they have a marker on them, unfortunately at a quick glance they really look like health.

hidden packages are green and look like some kind of tikki gawn.

if the police are chasing someone and you intervene and attack the bad guy you'll get 50 for being a good citizen, was pretty funny when i decided to help the police out and actually got something for it.

in the one club, on stage is the village people lol. dancing is the construction worker, cop, army guy, etc.

cops do throw spike stips, pretty cool. i think i was up to 3 or 4 stars for that.

for the people that didn't like GTA3 i really don't think this one will change their opinions of the series. it is a cool game and it will only get better playing it but that true sense of amazement is dull since we had GTA3. i had tons more fun playing for five mintues in GTA3 then i did playing VC. But that was to be expected some what. Despite it being good, i'm debating to finish hit man 2 before really getting into VC.
Old 10-29-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
oh....

my.........

god.............

This game is amazing!

Looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonite!

-k
###
Old 10-29-02, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Without fueling the debate,

IIRC, Sony has a deal with DTS for the sound for the games. I wasn't even aware that MGS2 was DD in the cut scenes, I thought it was DTS.

This will be my first game that plays in 5.1. I can't wait.

SPY
Old 10-29-02, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is GTA3 and more.......we picked this up last night!!! The motorcycles are hilarious ranging from a Harley to a dirt bike. Cruising around in a golf cart is pretty funny also along with diving out of your car at lunatic speed only to watch your car careen off into the distance and crash.

Graphics are much better!!! If you dust a cop, not only do you get his weapon but you also get his night stick.
Old 10-29-02, 06:22 AM

I still have three games that I need to finish (and three that I haven't even opened!), but I must have this game! I hope KB has it in stock today...
Old 10-29-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had just as much fun playing this game for the first time as I did when I first played GTA3 back in December, when I rented a PS2 and the game from Blockbuster. I haven't played GTA3 in over four months, but playing this game brought back all the good memories.
Too bad I'm hooked on it now, considering I just bought 7 games for my new Dreamcast yesterday(including Shenmue, which I've read is awesome). I'll fit them in sometime between work, school, and Vice.....
Old 10-29-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Oh Man!!! The game sounds so SWEEEEEEEEET!!!! Too bad I have to wait until sometime next week to get my copy since I ordered it through the Amazon/Toys R Us, Buy 2 get 1 free deal. But it definately sounds like it is worth waiting for.....and then some.
I ordered this game through the Amazon deal as well, but I can't wait. I'm making a special trip today to see if the local Best Buy has it in.
Old 10-29-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I preordered at BestBuy.com and used the standard shipping. I probably won't get it until Friday or Saturday. My friend used the two day shipping and will get it before I do. I am so mad. But, I save ten dollars. I should have upgraded for $3. I hope everyone has fun!
Old 10-29-02, 09:07 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

The fedex guy brought this game at 8:50 this morning.

All I can say is YOWSA! I don't have time to post complete impressions, but I will later today.

The DTS sound is actually 4 channel, but the seperation is excellent. The voice acting is incredible. Ray Liotta has me cracking up ever chance he gets.

I reccomend turning the "trails" option off. The graphics look prettier with it on, but it sharpens up the image for easier gameplay with it off.

In any case, if you don't have this game, go get it now. Take a sick day and pick up a copy. If you don't have a PS2, sell a kidney.
Old 10-29-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The fedex guy brought this game at 8:50 this morning.

I was still asleep when the fedex man arrived here (9:08) so I have to wait till tomorrow. I would go pick it up at the FedEx station but I have to be at work at 5pm and I can't pick it up at FedEx until 4:30 and its at least a 30 minute drive in rush hour traffic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.