Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Suikoden 3 - PS2

Old 10-24-02, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suikoden 3 - PS2

Has anyone got any reviews or hands on perspective on this long awaited RPG? I notice IGN have a review up but it's insider only.

thanks

Chris
Old 10-24-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suikoden III is so gigantic, that it could have easily been two or three entirely separate games. Overflowing with character development and a high-quality story that's rivaled only by Squaresoft's equally impressive Final Fantasy X, Konami's latest effort reeks of major league production value. So impressed was I by the sheer size and fun of it all, I came to realize that there is just no way that a single play-through could do justice to this fantastic world.
Whether the addictive mini-games like Bodhran and the super-fast rendition of horse racing tickles your fancy, or playing as 108 completely unique and identifiable characters is more your speed, Suikoden III is never at a loss of something to give its player. One of the most enjoyable, deep, and pleasing Role-Playing adventures I've ever experienced, Konami's three-time lucky masterpiece is as close to perfection as I could have hoped. An easy recommendation to any and all RPG fans regardless of their dedication, Suikoden III is most definitely for real. Go out and buy it right now!

-- Jeremy Dunham

Presentation
A fantastic Anime opening only begins to highlight a game that's filled to the brim with personality, panache, and individuality. 9.0

Graphics
The character designs and townships look great, but the enemies remain uninspired and the occasional slowdown knocks it down a bit. 8.5

Sound
You've got your memorable tracks and you've got your not so memorable tracks, but on the whole, quite enjoyable (where's the surround sound?). 8.5

Gameplay
Fast and easy, the classic Suikoden gameplay model is back with all the proper improvements. Oh how I do miss those massive-scale battles though. 9.1

Lasting Appeal
There are mini-games, 108 characters, secret point-of-views, hidden spells, special items, multiple endings, and a list of things I can't even begin to remember. Awesome! 9.7

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.4
Old 10-24-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
I picked this game up yesterday. I've been waiting for this for years now. The gameplay has elements of both FFX, and FF Tactics. You move around on the worldmap like it was done in FF Tactics. Each location is a dot on the map, and you move from dot to dot. Once you're in an area, it's just like the gameplay of FFX. There is a small map in the upper corner of the screen showing you where you are, and the direction you are facing. Battles are classic Suikoden though. The graphics are beautiful as well. I'm only about an hour into is so far, but I can already tell that it's going to be one of the best console RPG's I've ever played.
Old 10-24-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try here for starters: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22462.asp

more reviews should be coming up soon
Old 10-24-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Just ordered this through that Toyrus Amazon deal. Has it been released yet?
Old 10-24-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It came out yesterday. Or at least I got it then (I had originally ordered it through the TRU deal, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to change that order). Haven't had too much time to play yet, but what I have played is excellent.
Old 10-24-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read over at the GameFAQs board that the camera is terrible -- bad enough to make people sick. Apparently some of the gameplay elements bite too. If you're on the fence about this one you might want to read what people are saying over there. Just a heads up.
Old 10-24-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kellehair
I read over at the GameFAQs board that the camera is terrible -- bad enough to make people sick. Apparently some of the gameplay elements bite too. If you're on the fence about this one you might want to read what people are saying over there. Just a heads up.
Camera terrible? Huh? It's barely different than any other RPG I've played.

Besides, the GameFAQs boards are horrible. I think all the kiddies who left IGN Boards when they went to paid-member only went to GameFAQs
Old 10-24-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds awesome, its getting similar reviews on other sites, rpgfans gave it 98%. I didn't play all the way through Suikoden II, but I did finish and love the first one. I'll have to pick this up soon...the thing with too many rpgs (this and Wild Arms 3) being released at the same time is a big problem since rpgs all take a long time to finish . But who's complaining . Any word if you can carry your data over from suikoden II like you were able to do with the first one? If so i might go finish that one before picking this one up.
Old 10-24-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Yep, you can transfer your saved date from suikoden II. First you need to copy it to a PS2 memory card (I didn't think this was possible, but it worked fine). I haven't heard what extra's it gives you though.
Old 10-24-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you haven't played suikoden 2 yet it's well worth it.. It has those nice 2d graphics that haven't aged as badly as some of the other 3d games on the psx. I never managed to complete it but I loved it anyway .

Chris
Old 10-24-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reviews. I can't wait!

Now do I start the painful wait for the dodgey PAL release or do I mod my PS2, urrggh..

Chris
Old 10-24-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by noonan4224
Yep, you can transfer your saved date from suikoden II. First you need to copy it to a PS2 memory card (I didn't think this was possible, but it worked fine). I haven't heard what extra's it gives you though.
Cool, thanks for trying that out! I'm guessing it will probably work like the first one, loading your Suikoden I data at the start of Suikoden II
Spoiler:
was the only way to get all 108 stars if i remember reading correctly, including meeting and getting hero of the first one with the same name you chose in your party and a few other characters.