Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

OFFICIAL Tony Hawk 4 Reviews/Impressions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 12:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFFICIAL Tony Hawk 4 Reviews/Impressions Thread

The reviews are startin' to come out. Gamers.com gave it a 10, IGN gave it a low to mid 9 (depending on your system) and Gamespot gave it also a low to mid 9. Simply put, all 3 reviews mentioned how amazing the series still is even with the little additions. Sounds good to me.

Hopefully someone picks this one up tomorrow or soon and can post some impressions. I for one am swamped with work and will have to put aside Tony for a week or so...bummer.
Old 10-24-02, 12:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'm really surprised this series continues to get accolades (TH3 got really high scores too) since it does so little to reinvent itself. I really wish someone would try and compete with it like the snowboarding titles compete with each other.
Old 10-24-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was SO excited for this game.....till I ran out of money.

With my new XBOX and games and then Vice City I'll be lucky if I can afford gas here soon.

Actaully time is more a factor than money. I'm spreading myself too thin as it is and I know if I played this I'd be hooked. I will certainly rent it ASAP but I can't see buying till after the new year when the snow is here and I'm bored stupid at home.
Old 10-24-02, 12:50 AM
Banned

You can get Vice City, THPS4 and another free PS2 game for $100 at Amazon. What a deal.

THPS3 got the highest reviews of the series and rightfully so...it was freakin' amazing and virtually flawless. Although I played the hell out of 3 to shreds I didn't own it, so #4 has my name written all over it.

Neversoft is one developer I don't mind raping me $50 for a $5 disc. It's always that damn good.
Old 10-24-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did the buy 2 get 1 free deal for the XBOX and if I do it again I'm pretty sure my wife will use my XBOX and PS2 to beat me to death.

I have 8 new XBOX games and Vice coming. If I think out lod about getting one more I could very well lose them all in a divorce.

I'll have to read the reviews cause I hope the online portion of the game is good. That's what made me hold out and not get 3.
Old 10-24-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I'm really surprised this series continues to get accolades (TH3 got really high scores too) since it does so little to reinvent itself. I really wish someone would try and compete with it like the snowboarding titles compete with each other.
I remember EGM gave THPS3 some ridiculously high score for ingenuity, and when I brought it up people tried to rationalize it. *shrug*
Old 10-24-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another sequel, yawn.
Old 10-24-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
What's the 'official' release date? Amazon sez "not yet released", EBGames.com lists the 24th or 29th for the XBox version (depending on the page), CompUSA.com says the 25th, and GameStop.com claims it ships in 24 hours, though none of the local stores have any copies. The usual gaming sites haven't posted the expected "it's shipped!" updates either.
Old 10-24-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
XBOX version got delayed a week. New release date is 10/30. Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer to play this game.
Old 10-24-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they would have kept the trick list from the second one. I've been sitting on the fence, but I just heard that
Spoiler:
Eddie \m/
is one of the skaters, so I think I'll have to get it now.
Old 10-24-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another sequel, yay!
Old 10-24-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Mike_AA
THPS3 got the highest reviews of the series and rightfully so...it was freakin' amazing and virtually flawless. Although I played the hell out of 3 to shreds I didn't own it, so #4 has my name written all over it.

Neversoft is one developer I don't mind raping me $50 for a $5 disc. It's always that damn good.
I have to disagree. I thought at times the game's "expansive" levels in fact hurt the level design, making the levels not as tightly designed for the type of gameplay as they could have been. I also thought there was way too much "go here and collect this and do that". This is a trick-based game, not a platformer. I felt there were way too many platforming elements to the game, and for a game with this kind of controls and is supposedly an 'Xtreme sports' game based on pulling off tricks, it just didn't fit into the game properly. A poor attempt at innovation that ultimately hurt the core gameplay IMO. That combined with the more "adventurous" levels made me think the developers didn't really have their priorities straight when it came to design and didn't know exactly what kind of game they were trying to make. Adding new elements to a game does not automatically = better game.

That said, I'll probably just end up buying THPS2X instead of TH4, especially since it's a lot cheaper.
Old 10-24-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I just talked to EB in Round Rock and they have it in stock for the Xbox.
Old 10-24-02, 01:12 PM
Banned

The game was shipped everywhere yesterday and should be in stores today or tomorrow.

Boo yah. Now I just need to find some free time...
Old 10-24-02, 03:54 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I am leaving right now to go pcik it up for ps2 will let you know how it is guys.
Old 10-24-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by noonan4224
XBOX version got delayed a week. New release date is 10/30. Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer to play this game.
...or not. No shortage of copies of TH4 for the XBox at the local EB....
Old 10-24-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Local Sam Goody has copies for each system as well.
Old 10-24-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just picked up the Xbox version of this game today and damn I am impressed. You can just freeskate the levels if you want or talk to people to get your objectives which are timed. You also collect and earn money to unlock cheats, hidden characters, and hidden levels among other things.

The trick system isn't drastically changed with only the spine transfers and skitchin the cars added, but the game is as fun to play as ever. I'm loving it.

I played the demo of it on PS2 and the Xbox version looks much better. I have run into a few tough goals, but its nice that you can skip them now and come back to them later.
Old 10-24-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those curious the hidden skaters I can see so far are

Spoiler:
Jango Fett, Eddie from Iron Madden, and Mike Valley.

I've unlocked the first five levels so far. I'm having fun, but some of the objectives are super hard. Lots of challenge in this game.
Old 10-24-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've unlocked everything I know of, but Chicago now. The Carnival level is my favorite so far.

Am I the only one playing this game right now.
Old 10-25-02, 01:48 AM
Banned

Yup.

Give me a week or so.
Old 10-25-02, 12:17 PM

I'm going to pick it up after my weekend in Vegas.

That is if I don't loose all of my money

I was sure tempted to pick it up when I was at the mall last night, though...
Old 10-25-02, 04:08 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

darkside: I have been playing it for a couple of hours now, I have unlocked the first five levels even though I have only played the first 3. I can't beat the medal comp. in each level but every thing else I beat, I played with JF, but did not save it because I want to buy a secert level, have you got enought money yet(100,000) to buy the girl secert character.
Old 10-25-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably pick this up on Sunday when TRU starts their 3 for 2 promotion in-store.

For those who don't know: Unlock Rodney Mullen's video ASAP, because he's *&%ing amazing.
Old 10-25-02, 04:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm surprised Mike Valley is unlockeable, can you use his elephant skateboard?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.