Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

best console for 1st person shooters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 01:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's stop this off-topic of this thread right now. This thread has nothing to do with the PC. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PC!!!! Ok?
Old 10-22-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Let's stop this off-topic of this thread right now. This thread has nothing to do with the PC. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PC!!!! Ok?
I disagree. Someone asks what console is the best for FPS, and the answer is "none of the above." If FPS is your main motivation, your best bet is to put that $200 towards more RAM or a video card upgrade.
Old 10-22-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I see no problem with ScandalUMD's posts. He's providing a solid alternative to the game consoles. If indeed FPS is the most important factor to the thread starter, then the PC cannot be overlooked. $200 to upgrade a PC may be a better investment than buying a new console.

Of course, let's not turn this into a Game Console v. PC thread.
Old 10-22-02, 02:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, never mind. If you have the dough, splurge and get a killer computer system. Otherwise if you are looking for a good bargain for a good FPS console, get the Xbox.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 10-22-02 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

thanks for the PC comments, but i must agree my focus in on buying a console system.

i am well aware that the PC has many advatages over console systems, horsepower and FPS wise.... obviously games like Quake 3 and SOF for the PC far surpass any console game graphic and FPS wise, BUT i want to buy a console.

i want to take advatnage of my 27inch tv and my nice lazy boy (not tuirn my PC, which i already stare at enough, into a gaming machine)... so i am specifically looking at conoles,
however thanks for all the input about PC's.

plus, you cant rent games for the PC, but if you could, i might be there! cd-r' and all...
Old 10-22-02, 08:14 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Based on post history, Scandal often promotes any alternative to the Xbox or the current and upcoming Xbox library. Just be wary of subtly-induced agendas.

As for me, I own all 3 systems plus a speed-demon PC. Give me Doom 3 on a 36" flat screen with dolby digital sound while laid back in a plush leather couch using Halo-style controls over a high-res 19" monitor with k/m and a stiff leather office chair anyday.

As far as driving games are concerned, I'd say XBox if you want to race and PS2 if you want to play the GTA series, 50% driving/ 50% 3rd person shooter, which is fabulous if you haven't already heard.

On the PS2 side of things, you have:

Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
: (Early 2004, with online play)
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
ATV Offroad Fury 1 & 2
: (2 will be online)

On the Xbox side of things, you have:

Sega GT 2002: (Not as good as GT3, but it will be online sooner)
Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2: (2 will be online)
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
: (Early 2004, online)
Quantum Redshift: (blows away any futuristic racer I've seen)
Midtown Madness 3: (Fully online)

As for the multiconsole offerings, the XBox is getting better support with the acception of a couple games. The XBox version will usually have higher quality graphics, better sound quality, and often extra features.

NFS: Hot Pursuit 2: (Better visuals and sound on the PS2)
Moto GP: (Better visuals and sound on the XBox, includes online play with the XBox)
Pro Race Driver: (Only online with the xbox plus better visuals and sound)
Lamborghini: (Both online, but better visuals and sound on the XBox)
Mafia: (Just look at Max Payne XBox/PS2 comparisons if you want to see how PC ports turn out)
Auto Modellista: (Probably about the same due to Cel Shading, Both online)
Colin McRae Rally 3: (will look and sound better on the XBox)
MX Superfly: (online downloadable content with the XBox)
Driver 3: (who knows based on craptacular Driver 2)

There are alot more driving games on both systems which I left out, but most of them are pretty mediocre.

Last edited by Flay; 10-22-02 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nvidia will probably release a new card before Christmas. Doom 3 is targetted for Q3-Q4 2003. We'll certainly be two generations ahead in video cards, and processors will have passed the 4 Ghz mark by then, even at the most conservative estimates.
Carmack said Geforce3, and that it will run on a Geforce1. Any game that runs on a GF1 will not be maximizing a GF4/5/6/whatever.

but an Xbox is still a 733 Mhz P3 with a Geforce 2.5 and 64 MB of combined RAM.
You're hurting your case and credibility here. The Xbox's GPU is at least equivalent to an enhanced Geforce3, and I've read quotes from Nvidia that it's even on par with a Geforce4. But a Geforce2.5? Please.

It's probably the most powerful of the consoles, but after this Christmas, the capabilities of the PC will pretty much eclipse all the consoles, and will continue to gain ground until the next round of consoles are released.
True, but developers can never take full advantage of the best hardware out there; they always have to deal with the lowest common denominator, and that combined with the fact that Xbox developers get to work with a fixed system and can keep optimizing the hell out of what they get from it, and the best looking Xbox games will continue to compete with some of the best looking PC games for quite some time. Games like Halo 2, Fable, BC and most likely whatever Rare puts out (besides Kameo which was originally designed for the GC) are proof of this. And those games won't even be utilizing the Xbox's full potential. Will those games run at 1600x1200? No. But there's a hell of a lot more to a game's visuals than resolution.

Of course, I'm in no denial that at one point PC games will simply eclipse the three consoles, as that's a given. What else would you expect with constantly evolving hardware that costs a lot more than a console. But the day PC hardware superior to that of an Xbox is actually taken advantage of to the point where the games start looking significantly better than the best looking Xbox games is a ways off.

If you believe Doom 3 will look as good on a console as it will on a 3.5 Ghz P4 PC with a GeForce 5 and a gig of RAM, then you're showing your ignorance on the subject and lack of understanding of how this works, to borrow a phrase.
I guess that would be Carmack showing his ignorance on the subject, eh? Because he's the one that said the Xbox version will in fact match the visuals of the PC version. And again, get out of this dream land where the game will actually be taking advantage of the features in GF5/6 chipsets. It's not_gonna_happen. Yes, on a PC like that you'll get higher resolutions, probably higher framerates (45-60 as opposed to 30, although the game is slow paced), and somewhat higher resolution shadows due to more memory, but that's about it. Again, I'll believe John Carmack before I'll believe you.

Doom 3 on Xbox will match the fidelity of the PC version... locked at 640 x 480 and 30 FPS, with mid to low settings for several of the detail levels.
Mid to low detail settings? That wouldn't exactly be the "full graphical fidelity of the PC version", now would it. You want to go have an argument with John Carmack over this, go be my guest.

Shooters that are designed from the ground up to accommodate the control, speed, and resolution limitations inherent to consoles can overcome many of the inherent flaws of shooter games on consoles.
Controlling wasn't that bad in Halo at all (and will probably be improved upon in Halo 2), and resolution isn't a factor in a FPS game any more than it is in any other. But you have somewhat of a point about speed when it comes to games like QuakeIII, but if we're talking DoomIII here, it's supposed to be by far Carmack's slowest paced games ever.

.......I'm done.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 10-22-02 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
Optimization and the lack of an operating system sucking resources will help some, but an Xbox is still a 733 Mhz P3 with a Geforce 2.5 and 64 MB of combined RAM.
Wrong. The graphics chip on the Xbox is somewhere between the Geforce 3 and the Geforce 4. It is basically a Geforce 3 Ti500 chip (the fastest Geforce 3 chip) with an extra vertex and pixel shader.
Old 10-22-02, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I guess that would be Carmack showing his ignorance on the subject, eh? Because he's the one that said the Xbox version will in fact match the visuals of the PC version. And again, get out of this dream land where the game will actually be taking advantage of the features in GF5/6 chipsets. It's not_gonna_happen. Yes, on a PC like that you'll get higher resolutions, probably higher framerates (45-60 as opposed to 30, although the game is slow paced), and somewhat higher resolution shadows due to more memory, but that's about it. Again, I'll believe John Carmack before I'll believe you.
Exactly! Carmack has publicly stated that Doom 3 is designed to run and be played (even on the PC) at 30 fps. It is not designed nor intended to be a high speed blast-fest like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament. The only graphical difference between the Xbox and PC versions will be the higher resolutions available on the PC. Of course, don't take the game creators word for it. I'm sure Scandal knows best...
Old 10-22-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they don't allow the Xbox Doomers to play with the PC guys, it wouldn't be pretty.
Old 10-22-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
I hope they don't allow the Xbox Doomers to play with the PC guys, it wouldn't be pretty.
I doubt it. Besides, the heart of DoomIII will be its single-player mode, and that's what I'll be getting it for.
Old 10-22-02, 12:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hey I should be pretty good with the controller by then, it's the damn resolution that will bury us.

BTW Flay, great post as usual.
Old 10-22-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get an Xbox now it comes with Sega GT and Jet Set Radio Future until the end of the year. I paid $50 each for both of those games myself.

Sega GT is a pretty nice game, just lacking in tracks
You can also get Rallisport Challenge and Project Gotham Racing for $30 each now, maybe $20 if you look around. Moto GP will run on Xbox Live. Go check out reviews on any of those racing games, they are all excellent.

For FPS fans, the release of Halo 2 and Doom 3 should be enough to own an Xbox.
Old 10-22-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really I think you would be happy with an XBox.

I do think you would find games in the PS2 lineup you would like also . however an Xbox might have more games based on the specific interests you have.

Of course a computer would be great however I do know that many can't upgrade to the latest and greatest all the time. I get more features on my computer which is why i buy so many games for it.

However I run a system far faster than most people so I rarely run into system spec issues.
Old 10-22-02, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Flay
Just be wary of subtly-induced agendas.
Subtle? I guess so, in the sense of 'as subtle as a sledgehammer'.

This has got to be the easiest recommendation ever. The author of this thread, in search of FPS and racers (having discounted GT3), clearly should pick up an Xbox.

As for NFS:Hot Pursuit, the incredibly talented Black Box developed the PS2 version. The incredibly less-talented EA Canada did the other two.

So it's not just hockey that Black Box does better than EA Canada.
Old 10-22-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EA Seattle developed the Xbox/GC/PC versions. EA Canada produced the Black Box developed PS2 version.
Old 10-22-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Carmack said Geforce3, and that it will run on a Geforce1. Any game that runs on a GF1 will not be maximizing a GF4/5/6/whatever.
Carmack can say a lot of stuff, and that doesn't make it so. Recommending a GeForce 3 makes it the most technically demanding game currently facing release. It may run on a Geforce 1, but how will it run?

My guess is that it would run like a slideshow at 640X480 resolution with all the settings turned down.

And, further, as games progress in development, the system specs tend to rise as developers add more stuff.

You're hurting your case and credibility here. The Xbox's GPU is at least equivalent to an enhanced Geforce3, and I've read quotes from Nvidia that it's even on par with a Geforce4. But a Geforce2.5? Please.
I don't know how precisely how it benchmarks next to Geforce 3. I'm pretty certain it doesn't outperform the GeForce 3 Ti500, and the CPU remains a limitation.

True, but developers can never take full advantage of the best hardware out there; they always have to deal with the lowest common denominator, and that combined with the fact that Xbox developers get to work with a fixed system and can keep optimizing the hell out of what they get from it, and the best looking Xbox games will continue to compete with some of the best looking PC games for quite some time. Games like Halo 2, Fable, BC and most likely whatever Rare puts out (besides Kameo which was originally designed for the GC) are proof of this. And those games won't even be utilizing the Xbox's full potential. Will those games run at 1600x1200? No. But there's a hell of a lot more to a game's visuals than resolution.
Fable and BC are a long way from release. I've said several times that if Molyneux's games come out on the Xbox, and they come close to living up to the promises he's made, I will buy an Xbox. But those are a couple of big ifs. Your hypothetical games aren't much of an argument, until they come out. We'll see what PC games look like when Rare and Molyneux get stuff on Xbox.

Further, id's games tend not to cater to a lowest common denominator, because a lot of their money comes off licensing the engine, so it tends to push the technology when they release one. There's a great deal of scalability built into the game, but Doom 3 on a low end machine will look very different from Doom 3 on a high end system.

Of course, I'm in no denial that at one point PC games will simply eclipse the three consoles, as that's a given. What else would you expect with constantly evolving hardware that costs a lot more than a console. But the day PC hardware superior to that of an Xbox is actually taken advantage of to the point where the games start looking significantly better than the best looking Xbox games is a ways off.
I think it's sooner than you think. With cheaper PCs and scaleable game engines, a fast PC will run a much better looking game than you can get on consoles by Christmas 2003.

Mid to low detail settings? That wouldn't exactly be the "full graphical fidelity of the PC version", now would it. You want to go have an argument with John Carmack over this, go be my guest.
Carmack hasn't started working with the Xbox. He said that, but he has a reputation for boasting. He's making this claim on his assumption that he can accomplish anything. He also thinks he can shoot himself into space. He's a brilliant and able guy, don't get me wrong, though. I guess we'll know when we see the game running on Xbox.

But even if it's pretty, how will it play? Framerates and resolutions aren't just graphics you know. In fact, many PC gamers reduce texture and model detail and special effects for higher resolution and faster framerates, because that fluidity is critical for presicion.

Controlling wasn't that bad in Halo at all (and will probably be improved upon in Halo 2), and resolution isn't a factor in a FPS game any more than it is in any other. But you have somewhat of a point about speed when it comes to games like QuakeIII, but if we're talking DoomIII here, it's supposed to be by far Carmack's slowest paced games ever.
Halo's weapon set was tailored for consoles. When you buy any PC shooter on a console, you're getting a set of weapons that was designed to be aimed with a mouse, and you have to aim it with a control stick. Fire up Quake 3 for the Dreamcast and see how useful the railgun is. Doom 3 may have an atmospheric single play mode, but the multiplay will still be Doom. Maybe not quite as fast and frantic, but certainly not plodding. Remember, id has to peddle this engine.
Old 10-22-02, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
Carmack can say a lot of stuff, and that doesn't make it so.
But I guess you saying it does make it so? You've certainly got loads of credibility where anything related to the Xbox is concerned. Good luck convincing anyone that you are better qualified to speak about Doom 3 than Carmack, himself...
Old 10-22-02, 03:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't care what Carmack says. I still insist that Doom 3 will be a 2d platformer built on the "Commander Keen" engine.
Old 10-22-02, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
EA Seattle developed the Xbox/GC/PC versions. EA Canada produced the Black Box developed PS2 version.
I know EA Canada and Black Box are two different developers within EA. I don't know who takes claim as the producer on all the console versions, but the end results show it's not important, if indeed all three have the same.

I'm assuming EGM is right listing Black Box as the PS2 developer and EA Canada as the GC/Xbox developer.

I know there were two different developers involved, but I don't remember EA Seattle mentioned in context with NFS:HP.
Old 10-22-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw that in EGM as well. EA's press releases for the game say differently.
Old 10-22-02, 03:53 PM

Hmmmm...

Well, whoever did it is easily eclipsed by Black Box. That was a very smart developer pick-up by EA. Their last two released games are now NHL Hitz 2003 and NFS:HP... two top-notch efforts.
Old 10-22-02, 04:20 PM

The X-Box GPU is more of a GF4 than a GF3, but a modern PC is generally much higher end than an X-Box.

However, you can usually count on getting twice the performance out of an absolutely fixed platform if you put a little work into it. There are lots of tradeoffs that need to balance between the different cards on a general purpose platform -- things that I don't do with vertex programs because it would make the older cards even slower, avoiding special casing that would be too difficult to test across all platforms (and driver revs), and double buffering of vertex data to abstract across VAR and vertex objects, for instance. We might cut the "core tick" of Doom from 60hz to 30hz on X-Box if we need the extra performance, because it has no chance of holding 60hz, but the PC version will eventually scale to that with the faster CPUs and graphics cards.
from Slashdot post on Carmack on Doom III
Old 10-22-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tamrok
But I guess you saying it does make it so? You've certainly got loads of credibility where anything related to the Xbox is concerned. Good luck convincing anyone that you are better qualified to speak about Doom 3 than Carmack, himself...
What I'm saying is this.

A) Regardless of what Carmack says, I see no reason to believe Doom 3 will look as good on Xbox as on PC until I see it.

B) This is a shooter designed primarily for PC, which means the weapon design and balance is geared toward the precision of a mouse and keyboard. Playing previous id games on consoles was like playing the piano with mittens on.

C) Even if it looks pretty, it will run at 640 X 480, and probably at 30 frames per second. This means players will have much less precision, even if the game includes mouse and keyboard support.

Does any of this seem unreasonable?

Originally posted by jasonr114
thanks for the PC comments, but i must agree my focus in on buying a console system.

i am well aware that the PC has many advatages over console systems, horsepower and FPS wise.... obviously games like Quake 3 and SOF for the PC far surpass any console game graphic and FPS wise, BUT i want to buy a console.

i want to take advatnage of my 27inch tv and my nice lazy boy (not tuirn my PC, which i already stare at enough, into a gaming machine)... so i am specifically looking at conoles,
however thanks for all the input about PC's.

plus, you cant rent games for the PC, but if you could, i might be there! cd-r' and all...
If shooters are your defining characteristic, and you want to play them on a console, Xbox has the most compelling first-person lineup right now.

If online is important to you, I'd recommend hanging back and seeing what happens with the PS2 online adapter and Xbox Live. My prediction is that if Xbox Live is sluggish out of the gate, Microsoft will do something to sweeten the deal, and if it's huge out of the gate, Sony will come up with some kind of offer.

I still say that, as a single player game, Gran Turismo 3 is the finest simulation racer around, and Grand Theft Auto 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm extremely excited about Vice City. The PS2 is a safe bet, no matter what, thanks to its huge user base. It will get quality games through 2005.

If you want to gather a bunch of people around with some beers or something, some people would argue for the Xbox, but I'd make the case for the Gamecube. Nintendo's first party multiplayer stuff had an incredibly long lifespan on the N64, particularly Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and Smash Bros.

Rare's with Microsoft now, so if you like Perfect Dark, that's one to consider, but Nintendo almost certainly has a Mario Kart game in the chute, and Smash Bros on Gamecube is one of the best multiplayer console games I've ever played.

I think you should play all the systems, and figure it out. I know people who hate Xbox controllers and people who hate gamecube controllers, and even some poor deluded souls who hate the dual shock. Figure out which one you like the feel of best.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 10-22-02 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the potential of x-box failing as a gaming company? do they have good sales numbers? are they competitive? from this post it seems like the x-box is the next best thing since sliced bread...

but will it have the same longevity as the PSX and have the same potenital as the PS2 will likely have?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.