Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question on Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance

I currently have Metal Gear Solid for Playstation 2, and I plan on picking up Substance for XBox for the VR missions, etc. But I can't seem to find any info on if the actual Metal Gear Solid 2 game will be changed in any way. Of course the game will now be in DD 5.1, but will it still have the dog tag side quests and things like that? I'm sort of trying to decide if there is any reason for me to keep my PS2 version of this game (i.e. if anything in the original is left out of the XBox version).
Old 10-21-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think about Snake on a Skateboard, who thinks up this crap? I hope this version has a little more game and a little less cinematics. The graphics and gameplay were good but, I thought I was buying a game, not a movie.
Old 10-21-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The same exact game is still in there. But now you can do things like play as Raiden in the Snake missions and vice versa. There are also Snake Tales which are completely different stories using the existing areas. There's the Skateboarding thing, something bout you can fight against past bosses from the first MGS, and other stuff i can't think of.
Old 10-21-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by edstein
Think about Snake on a Skateboard, who thinks up this crap? I hope this version has a little more game and a little less cinematics. The graphics and gameplay were good but, I thought I was buying a game, not a movie.

I couldn't agree more. Huge let-down for me. Havn't put the game back in since i watched it, er, beat it the first time.
Old 10-21-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I was not suprised by the amount of cut scenes, MGS was basically the same, with like 3 hours of gameplay and 7 hours of cut scenes.
Old 10-21-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MGS was in no way as bad as Sons of Liberty. MGS2 was a HUGE letdown to me, it had more cinematics. Those cinematics also revolved around a character I didn't give a damn about.
Old 11-12-02, 12:27 AM

I recently saw a commercial for Metal Gear Solid: Substance and in the commercial they state that the game will be an XBox exclusive, but on the game's packaging there is no "XBox Exclusive" stamp. So what's the deal -- is Substance going to be an XBox exclusive or not? I read on IGN that the XBox version has noticable slowdown during the Tanker (rain) and boss fights, and I'd rather get the PS2 version of Substance if this is indeed the case.
Old 11-12-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is only XBox exclusive for about 6 months, then it will be on the PS2, surely without the slowdown problems. I'll be buying it then, but don't think I will be paying $50 for it.
Old 11-12-02, 01:03 AM

Metal Gear Solid 2 is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-12-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I completed the PS2 version and borrowed a friend's Xbox version this past weekend.

The slowdown in the first area is horrible. I read in a review that it didn't hurt the game, but I kept getting busted because I would wait for a guard to turn his back and then jump out to follow him and grab him. The slowdown was so bad that it was like Snake was walking in slow motion.
Old 11-12-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard about the slowdown, that's pretty unacceptable if it affects gameplay.... can we smell bad port?
Old 11-12-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will also be on PC in 6 months.
Old 11-12-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure the slowdown is only in the first part (with the rain). They just ported everything over and due to hardware differences between the PS2 and the Xbox, the result is slowdown with the rain.

It could've been smooth, but they elected to just port it over, including the code that handles the rain effects.
Old 11-12-02, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
It is only XBox exclusive for about 6 months, then it will be on the PS2, surely without the slowdown problems. I'll be buying it then, but don't think I will be paying $50 for it.
Where did you hear that it will be exclusive to the XBox for six months?
Old 11-12-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where is the skateboarding part? I remember reading about it but I don't see it in the menus.
Old 11-12-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by V-ism
The same exact game is still in there. But now you can do things like play as Raiden in the Snake missions and vice versa. There are also Snake Tales which are completely different stories using the existing areas.
From the GameSpot review, I don't think they added it into the actual game. I think the Snake Tales ARE the missions with Snake instead of Raiden.

Jeremy