Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Men: Next Dimension - Impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Men: Next Dimension - Impressions?

Anyone seen any reviews of this game yet? If anyone's played it, how 'bout sharing with the rest of the class - I'm cuirious as to whether I should buy it or not...
Old 10-18-02, 10:06 AM

Well, guess I'll hold off then... sometimes no news is BAD news.
Old 10-18-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't even seen it anywhere yet, but I am also really interested to hear something about it.
Old 10-18-02, 05:07 PM

I got this game on the GC when it came out. Here are my impressions:

Graphics--

The graphics on the characters are pretty detailed and the animations are good. The backgrounds, however, are lacking. They're just very plain and simple. There are some levels that are pretty cool like the danger room level and the X-Men mansion. The colors in the game seem somewhat washed out. The textures seem low res, and somewhat pixelated. I also noticed that some stages there are camera clipping problems. Seems like that Activision didn't work out all the bugs. Overall, not bad, but could've been so much better, IMO.

Gameplay--

The whole game is in 3D and so is the fighting. D Pad moves character forward, back and jump while the analog stick controls the character on the y-axis. For certain characters such as Phoenix you can use the C-stick to fly while jumping. There are fireball moves, and some streetfighter (SF) moves. Combo system is pretty much the SF games but there are some moves where if you do a fireball+punch, he/she will dish out a flurry of punches and kicks. Also, it seems that they have air combos too. When you perform an air launch move, you hit up on the D-Pad and your character will jump in the air to do a follow up in the air. This is very cinematic and looks quite cool IMO. There are also super moves for the heroes/villians. The level 4 supers (max) are very spectacular but after a while they can be quite long. Another cool thing about the game is the multi-tiered levels. For example, in the X-Men mansion, you start off fighting in the hallway. You can then knock the other character into the living room, and then out to the back yard. On a personal note, I seem to like the fighting system the more I play the game.

Sound/Music--

The sounds are kind of lacky. Every hit sounds like hitting bricks and the voice acting is pretty cheezy. For instance, when Rogue executes a particular throw, she'll sing "This is gonna hurt" and it sounds REALLY bad. Other than that, there is nothing to complain about. Music sounds okay, but uninspiring. Pretty much your standard X-men ish music.

I guess that pretty much wraps up my little review on the game.