Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How do you hold your controller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 12:33 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you hold your controller?

Indicate which of the following most closely resembles how you hold your controllers, and then specify your favorite controller out of the Dual Shock, Gamecube, Original X-box, and Type S.

Back in palms= controller firmly in palms, middle of left thumb (the joint) on analog stick, middle of right thumb used on the lower buttons and right analog stick, tip of thumb for upper buttons.

Up from palms= tip of left thumb on analog stick, tip of right thumb works most buttons and the right analot stick.

I noticed someone holding a GC controller "up from palms" in EB, and had a brain storm.

I bet people that vote "back in palms" prefer the GC, Type S or Dual Shock controller, and those that vote "up from palms" will prefer the original X-box controller.

People like me that hold it back in the palms will get cramps trying to strech our hands to get the middle of our thumbs on the analog stick and buttons on the original X-box controller, and people that play with the controlle up from their palms will get cramps trying keep the tips of their thumbs on the analog stick and buttons of the original controller.

Of course this won't apply to people with really small hand or really big hands, but most people just have average size hands and this could explain why there's such a split on which size controller people prefer.
Old 10-15-02, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleted threadcrap - Static
Old 10-15-02, 12:49 AM
Retired

If you don't like the topic, don't click on it.

There's a ton of bickering on here about the controllers with comments like "the gc controller is for baby hands" and the "x-box controller is for big ape hands."

I've never found this reasonable as most people simply have average size hands, and I noticed someone holding a controller differently than I do, and in a way that I had noticed friends holding controllers before but had never thought about.

I tried holding my GC controller further up in my palms and trying to play with the tips of my fingers, (as I noticed the dude in the store doing) and it was uncomfortable, hence I see how people that hold their controllers that way wouldn't like the GC controller.
Old 10-15-02, 01:04 AM

Smaller than average hands here, and from your description, back in palms, which seems to go against your theory.

I starting off gaming by absolutely mastering Intellivision baseball (I don't think I've reached a similar level on any other game in the following 22 years ), and it was easier to lay my thumb vertically on the directional disc and then input the directions with almost a roll of the thumb from side to side, or up or down. And the other thumb acted similarly across the kepad.

This style has worked with every non-joystick controller with absolutely no problems; you'll never see me complain about any controller. And I've never experienced any pain that some complain about when pressing buttons for hours at a time.

I'm just glad I learned this way. I see no advantage to the fingertip method.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 10-15-02 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-15-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put my Gamecube controller on the floor and just mash all the buttons. That's how I beat Eternal Darkness. Also works for most fighting games.
Old 10-15-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yea I hold it in my hands This is a great topic! It's kinda like, what's your favorite color, animal, season, pet ....etc.....
Old 10-15-02, 10:08 AM
Retired

I guess I over estimated the ability of members of this forum to intelligently participate in a poll.
Old 10-15-02, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I guess I over estimated the ability of members of this forum to intelligently participate in a poll.
But I guess you underestimated our ability to spot useless/meaningless polls and not waste our time posting in the thread.

Old 10-15-02, 10:18 AM
Banned

DOH! I just posted in this thread, I guess I"ll have to answer the question.
Q. How do you hold your controller?
A. I hold it in my hands.
Old 10-15-02, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Now that was not very nice

You need intelligent to participate in the official "how do you hold your controller Thread/POLL"
Old 10-15-02, 10:30 AM
Retired

I was hoping to test a theory that might explain (or be irrelevant) why there's such a sharp divide on what controllers people prefer, given that most people just have average sized hands.

The only replies should be people posting how they hold the controller and which controller they like the best.

Anyone not interest should just skip over the thread.

Any other reply is unintelligent.
Old 10-15-02, 10:48 AM
Retired

It looks like the "how they hold the controller" idea is why MS did the type S.

So it wasn't just a lame idea for me, and the "i hold it like everyone else" and "with my hands" comments are hereby refuted.

From the X-box controller trade in thread.

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Josh,

On the Xbox web site, under Hardware, there is a little article about how they came to make the Controller S, saying it is all about how people grip the controller basically.
I'd post the link to it, but the site is down right now.
Old 10-15-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have large hands.
I hold the controllers very loose in my hands, balancing the controller on my fingertips only. I use the tips of my thumbs for analog/buttons.
The Dual Shock used to be my controller of choice, until the GameCube came along. My only complaint is the Z button on the GC controller. Since the R shoulder button is sloped, I have to lift my finger too much to get to the Z button. It's just a small inconvenience, but I'm so used to just sliding my finger forward from R2 to R1 on a PS controller.
The Xbox by far has the worst controller I've used since the NES days. It is very similar to the Dreamcast controller, which was awkward at first, but didn't take long for me to get used to. I just haven't adjusted to either Xbox controller yet...
Old 10-15-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have average sized hands that are maybe on the large side of average.

Like to hold the controller "up from palms" in your terminology. I find that I have better control of the analog sticks when using my finger(thumb)tips to control them. I especially hate having to push multiple top (shoulder buttons are ok) buttons at one time, as it's hard for me to accurately press with the sides of thumbs.

Amazingly enough, I like the original XBox controller best of all. I liek the dual shock, but I wish the "wings" were a bit longer and meater so that I could hold it securely with the last two fingers on each hand. It is definately too small to hold down in my palms. Hate the GC controller.
Old 10-15-02, 12:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can we stay on topic, please? And if the topic doesn't interest you, please move on to the next thread without threadcrapping.

Let's also avoid calling people stupid, and instead let's report offending posts to the moderators so that we can take care of them.
Old 10-15-02, 12:16 PM
Retired

Actually, that's not amazing at all einTier, that's just what I predicted.

When I tried using the GC controller with my fingertips, it sucked, so I see how people that hold it that way would hate it.
Old 10-15-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea about the buttons, but I know I use the middle of my thumb for the analog stick. Average hands, the Xbox controller gives me cramps.
Old 10-15-02, 12:34 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Static Cling
Can we stay on topic, please? And if the topic doesn't interest you, please move on to the next thread without threadcrapping.

Let's also avoid calling people stupid, and instead let's report offending posts to the moderators so that we can take care of them.
Thanks Static.

I'm sorry for my comments above, and apologize if I offended anyone.

I'm just sick of nearly every thread at DVD Talk being ruined by thread crappers.
Old 10-15-02, 01:03 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I use the d-pad on the original x-box controller, and use my forehead to mash the buttons. j/k about using my forehead.
Old 10-15-02, 02:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In Soviet Union, controller holds YOU!