Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ps2 = TIVO !

Old 09-26-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ps2 = TIVO !

http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtm...toryID=1499391
Old 09-26-02, 05:31 PM

From the article:

Microsoft has announced plans to launch online game services for its game console Xbox, which comes with a built-in hard drive and an Ethernet port, but the company said it had no plan to give the Xbox recording capability.
I thought Microsoft was going to release an Xbox that also had Ultimate TV capabilities? I didn't dream of this product did I?
Old 09-26-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I didn't dream of this product did I?
Nope. MS is probably working that under another name though. It allows them to claim it exists to insure that demand doesn't waiver for the current xbox until the recording ready one is ready.
Old 09-26-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that does sound cool. Adding that sort of capability is the only way they'll ever be able to sell a hard drive to consumers, IMO. The developers of the PS2 obviously knew something when they designed it to allow that much upgradability. I don't know how well this will sell, but I remember all the experts who predicted failure for Sony online because of the history of poor sales of console peripherals in the past. Clearly the rules are changing now.
Old 09-26-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it wasn't too expensive I would be tempted to try it. I've always wanted a Tivo device, but have never got around to getting one.
Old 09-26-02, 08:56 PM

I'd be all over it if there isn't a subscription to pay for.
Old 09-26-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its a DVR. Comparing a DVR to TIVO is like comparing a Tiberon to a Lamborghini.
Old 09-26-02, 09:19 PM
Retired

I just hope these things stay this way next generation. By that I mean that Sony and MS (or at least one of them) puts out either a gaming only version of their console and one with Tivo and whatever else built in, or puts out a gaming only version and releases an add on to give people the option of paying a more to get the features.

Otherwise people like myself with no interest in Tivo are forced to pay extra for additional technology we won't use.

Making at an add on or a different model of the console gives consumers a choice in what they pay according to what they want in there console.

As for Tivo in general, I had it for about 6 months as I won a unit in a contest, but the modem got fried in by lightening (even though the phone line was surge protected) and they wanted $99 to repair.

Given that I was already debating getting rid of it as I didn't find the features worth the $9.95 a month subscription, I just said screw and tossed it in the trash.

The only things I liked about it were the on screen guide (digital cable wasn't available in my area at the time and satellites weren't allowed by my apartment complex) and being able to pause live tv. But those weren't enough for me to pay $10, or too pay extra money when purchasing a console.
Old 09-26-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
Its a DVR. Comparing a DVR to TIVO is like comparing a Tiberon to a Lamborghini.
I don't know much about this stuff. Can you go into more detail.
Old 09-26-02, 09:22 PM
Retired

Tivo has an on screen guide and a bunch of convenient features. For example, you can simply pick a program in the guide and tell it to tape that showing, or to tape all the showings at that time every week with a "season pass."

A DVR (Digital Video Recorder) just records stuff. It's bascially just a VCR with a hard drive instead of tapes.
Old 09-26-02, 09:46 PM

jolt is exactly right. A dvr alone is fine, but just like a cd instead of cassette tape (upgrade). Tivo is like going from VCR tape to DVD (tons of extra features, etc.). However, TIVO is there own deal and for those that like TV it is a FANTASTIC service. I wouldn't trade either of my DirecTV TIVO units for any console on the market (and I have them all).
Old 09-26-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by johnglad
I wouldn't trade either of my DirecTV TIVO units for any console on the market (and I have them all).
Same here... my TiVos are staying put! (nd I have them all too).

-k
###
Old 09-27-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TiVo's worth $50 a month, easy. I'd give up my Xbox, PS2, PC, PDA, DVD player, surround sound, XM, etc before I'd give up TiVo.

We have 2 DirecTiVo combo units. I can record 4 shows at once. TiVo is pure television bliss.

A common reaction is "get a life, who needs that much TV?". That's the point. We don't watch TV all the time. We watch what we want, when we want. We just finished watching last year's season finales a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-27-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find this fascinating since Sony is a media content provider and firmly against copying!
Old 09-27-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I find this fascinating since Sony is a media content provider and firmly against copying!
*COUGH*sonicblue*COUGH*

Old 09-27-02, 10:32 AM
Retired

BTW Sony makes (or at least used to make, I haven't looked lately) Tivo units, so it's possible that a new version of the PS2 or PS3 could have Tivo technology, rather than being a simple DVR.
Old 09-27-02, 11:14 AM

Nintendo gets TIVO

TIVO Gamecube (Q) is now a reality too...

Kind of funny really if you think about it...
Old 09-27-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony manufactures Tivos but Tivo itself is all about the software, the hardware is nearly irrelevant. Pausing live TV, the guide, learning your preferences, the season pass, Tivo is basically the best use of DVR technology. But more and more the word Tivo is being used as a catch all for DVRs. Like Kleenex for tissue. The Reuters article above mentions the hardware without a peep about the service.

tuner kits that would contain hardware to receive broadcasting signals, hard disks and software to run recording devices.
This really makes me think theyre using "Tivo" in the generic. Meaning a harddrive with a tuner on the vidcard. Which wouldnt suck, dont get me wrong ( ) But its not Tivo.
Old 09-27-02, 11:20 AM
Retired

Very interesting. But I really like the way Nintendo's went about this by first having Matsushita make a DVD playing version of the Gamecube. This likely helped the GC launch at $199 as it cut production costs as any hardware producer that makes something that plays DVDs has to pay a fee (I believe its $20/per unit) to the DVD consortium.

Now the same company is making a DVD/Tivo-like technology hybrid.

So people interested in the Gamecube have three choices to make between cost and features.

1. A plain gaming only console, for those like me that don't need another DVD player or want Tivo.

2. A more expensive DVD playing version for those that want another DVD player.

3. A presumably even more expensive version with DVD playback and DVR technolgy.

That's the way it should be. If game companies are going to add extra technology that consumers may or may not want, they should do it like this so consumers can buy just the technology they want to pay for.

Hopefully Sony and/or MS will do something similar next generation. Probably not though, I think both of them are set on eventually having a multifaceted, do it all, set-top box and getting a monopoly on the entire home theater.
Old 09-27-02, 11:22 AM
Retired

I agree Jolt. I was just thinking that since they Manufactured Tivo's, they probably have have pretty good releationship with the company that makes the Tivo software and could probably reach an agreement to put the Tivo software into a future incarnation of the Playstation.

It was just a thought, nothing in the article indicates the use of Tivo software, but then again there aren't any specifics in the article period.
Old 09-27-02, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

So people interested in the Gamecube have three choices to make between cost and features.
Yes, but not in the states.
I could care less about DVD on the unit as I have a much nicer DVD player, but Tivo would be cool.
Old 09-27-02, 11:24 AM
Retired

Yeah, it does suck royally that Matsushita decided not go put them out over here.
Old 09-27-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I agree Jolt.
Never thought I'd see the day.