Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Something Different....arcade warehouse raid!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Something Different....arcade warehouse raid!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is something I want to get into too someday. But alas, only have a 1 bedroom condo at the moment

My dream would be to have a Dragon's Lair, Tron, Street Fighter, Rolling Thunder, and that game that is like a holgraphic projecter.. what was that called even.. Time something I thought.. That game was sweet, I remember the gameplay and all that was no big deal, but never remeber anyting cooler than looking at it.

I'ld love to see some pics too when you get a chance.
Old 09-26-02, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by neiname
Fonman,

What would be the ultimate find? In terms of money and/or your personal preference?

Good luck and bring home a winner
That's a harder question than you might think. One of the rarest and most sought after games is the very first production video game......this one, it's called COMPUTER SPACE:

BTW, this can be found at www.klov.com
This site is the bible for collectors and players and it lists ALL arcade games

Abstract
This is the first ever arcade video game. The game is a basic space-war type game where single players control a rocket ship and face off against two flying saucers or, in the two-player version, players battle each other.
Cabinet Information
This game is housed in a fiberglass cabinet. Most of them had metal-flake paint jobs of varying colors. The one-player and two-player cabinets differ slightly. The one-player's control panel is offset, and the cabinet molded along a sweep to accompany it. The player controls are all buttons. The two-player cabinet has a Chevron shaped control panel, a vague "V" shape to the lower front of it, and uses both joysticks and buttons for the player controls. Both machines have a single coin-slot in the control panel.
Description
The game takes place in outer space. The player controls a rocket ship. The enemies in the game are a pair of flying saucers.
Gameplay
The rocket ship controlled by the player can be manuevered through space using rotational buttons and a thrust button. The fire button is used to make the rocket ship fire missiles.
When the two enemy flying saucers attack, they will fire missiles at the rocket ship. The player must have the rocket ship fire missiles at the flying saucers to destroy them.

The object of the game is for the player to have the rocket ship to destroy the flying saucers more times than the flying saucers can destroy the rocket ship, the player must also try to have the rocket ship outscore the flying saucers in order to get extended play in hyperspace. If the player attains hyperspace the playfield will turn from black to white and feature a vision of daylight in outer space. The game will end if the flying saucers outscore the player's rocket ship and time has expired.

This would be a great find due to its historic significance, value, and collectability. But the game is boring.

The games that I would get VERY excited to find include Dragons Lair, Space Ace, ROBOTRON, Galaga, Burgertime, Crystal Castles, or an EDOT. Also, a Missle Command Cockpit (sit-down) is VERY rare and would be cool to own.
Old 09-26-02, 01:11 PM

Re: Something Different....arcade warehouse raid!

Originally posted by FonMan
Ok,
I'm tired of the console wars as well. I thought I would give you all an update on my hobby. As some as you know, I collect and restore REAL arcade games. I have several and, like any junkie, think about arcade games day and night. It completely dominates my brain !

Anywho....
Most collectors will tell you that the ultimate thrill is finding an undiscovered warehouse (undiscovered by a greedy collector) full of classic arcade games and pinball machines. There are a lot of these out there....unfortunately, most have been discovered by collectors who raid the contents and sell them off on ebay. I know of one warehouse that has not been cleared out, and I have taken several games out of this warehouse in BFE, Kansas. But, the owner has become a little more educated on the hobby and has jacked the prices.

Any game collector is constantly telling everyone he runs in to about his hobby in the hopes of getting a hot tip. These hot tips are usually about someone's uncle such and such, who use to own the such and such, who has a bunch of old 80's games that he does not know what to do with!

Well....
I have finally made the contact with a person in a small town in KS that may have just what I described above....a virgin warehouse! I spent a brief time talking to the owner and set up a time to visit this friday morning.

What will I find? How will the owner deal with the situation? Will I find a rare classic gathering dust in the back of an old building?

..............stay tuned, I'll keep you posted

The couple that owns the Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Austin, TX does the same thing except for movies. He found a guy with a warehouse full of old horror flicks on film. For people familar with the Alamo Drafthouse, the movies they show on "Something Weird Wednesday", alot of them are from taht warehouse. One of the 'gems" he found in the warehouse was an original film canester for Halloween. The film had a little water damage from the leaking roof though.

Hope you get some good stuff.
Old 09-26-02, 01:15 PM

I once thought that as well, and there are some expensive games out there, But if you are willing to learn and look around the internet, you can get them VERY cheap. Its very addictive and takes A LOT of space !
FonMan, I'll give you some webspace on my server if you would like for hosting pictures/webpage about your setup Let me know.

Growing up my dad used to restore arcade machines and put them on locations, etc. When I was a little tyke we had a gameroom with like 15 machines in it, was a real blast. It's a hobby I have always wanted to pick up as well -- would love to get a old beater and take time fixing it, but I just don't have the space for doing such atm... eventually I will though.

My father goes to video games auctions still now and then (we live in St. Louis), you know of any good resources on the internet that say when there will be upcoming auctions of the sort in the midwest?
Old 09-26-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I second the request for more info about how to find out about auctions. I do check the paper on Sundays, but I've never seen anything. Do I just need to keep checking or are there some good resources on the net?

I'm building a MAME cabinet (on hold till I get a widescreen TV) but I would love to score an MKII machine in decent shape for a reasonable price.
Old 09-26-02, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
This is something I want to get into too someday. But alas, only have a 1 bedroom condo at the moment

My dream would be to have a Dragon's Lair, Tron, Street Fighter, Rolling Thunder, and that game that is like a holgraphic projecter.. what was that called even.. Time something I thought.. That game was sweet, I remember the gameplay and all that was no big deal, but never remeber anyting cooler than looking at it.

I'ld love to see some pics too when you get a chance.
That hologram game was Sega's Time Traveler... they also made a horrible fighting game on it called Holo Fighter (or something like that). Anyways, they released Time Traveler on DVD awhile back, I think it comes with 3D glasses... it won't have the holographic effect on your TV of course, but it would be cool to have to play on your DVD player

Old 09-26-02, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Where can i find out if there are game auctions in the Sacramento area?
Keep an eye in the newspaper in the "auctions" section until you find one. Make sure you go to one to get on the mailing lists.

Also these sites

http://www.gameroommagazine.com/shows.htm

and

www.superauctions.com
(There is one coming to San Jose next month )

also

Search the newsgroups or go to the google section called "groups", hit the ".rec" button and search "arcade"
You will actually find a lot of people selling directly there. Its is also a GREAT place to learn.

I highly recommend going to an auction without the intention of buying anything just to see how it works. You get to play the games for free and can judge what kind of money the different stuff goes for. I have a blast at them.
Old 09-26-02, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by draven-x
I second the request for more info about how to find out about auctions. I do check the paper on Sundays, but I've never seen anything. Do I just need to keep checking or are there some good resources on the net?

I'm building a MAME cabinet (on hold till I get a widescreen TV) but I would love to score an MKII machine in decent shape for a reasonable price.
The last auction I went to last weekend sold a MK for $125.00 in great shape, working all the way.

I would keep looking in the paper, but check out my last post. I cant emphasize the Newsgroups enough, great source for info about games and auctions.
Old 09-26-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info Fonman, I'll check out one of the Super Auctions when then come to CA in October.
Old 09-26-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
The last auction I went to last weekend sold a MK for $125.00 in great shape, working all the way.

I would keep looking in the paper, but check out my last post. I cant emphasize the Newsgroups enough, great source for info about games and auctions.
Sweetness. Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-02, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by baddy
That hologram game was Sega's Time Traveler... they also made a horrible fighting game on it called Holo Fighter (or something like that). Anyways, they released Time Traveler on DVD awhile back, I think it comes with 3D glasses... it won't have the holographic effect on your TV of course, but it would be cool to have to play on your DVD player

Thanks a bunch, that's it! Dvd huh? Interesting...

I would hate to see what that thing went for at an auction. I think I remember the fighting game, it was terrible, you're right.

This is a nice topic, and has me dreaming, my girlfriend, will realistically only be behind a golden tee purchase she loves playing it so much.. I'm gonna have to check out an auction too, thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-02, 05:31 PM

golden tee is great - I would bet you can pick up an older one pretty cheap.
Old 09-26-02, 05:49 PM

Awesome hobby, there is just something about oldskool arcade systems that gives you the jittery feeling, I remember walking into one of my buddies houses and finding one of those original streetfighter cabinet, I'm like oMG, all the memories of highschool after school spending hours with friends throwing fireballs, awesome.
Old 09-28-02, 01:48 PM
Banned

UPDATE

So I went to the warehouse yesterday. Unfortunately it wasnt the "virgin" warehouse that I have been dreaming of....guess I will keep looking and following leads. They had some classic games, namely a few Mrs. Pac-man's, but they wanted crazy money for them. They had a ton of PINS, but all over $1000. This is not necesarily a bad price, but I plan on buying just one PIN for the game room, and none of the ones they had really interested me that much.

I will keep you informed on the next adventure and post with the results of the next auction if anyone is interested.

Tim
Old 09-28-02, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the information, hopefully I can find an auction in Houston

Last edited by bluntman72; 09-28-02 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-29-02, 03:29 AM

hologram fighting game

the Hologram fighting game was called Holosseum. It was released as a kit to change out on existing Time Traveler machines due to the problems with their laserdisc players.