Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

STARFOX Thread! Post hints, opinions, and If you need help

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-23-02, 08:34 PM

Well I got my starfox today and have not played it to much. Im not the best at these games so im starting this for people to post if they need help and hopefully people can help them, and just your opinion of the game and anything related to the game!
Old 09-23-02, 10:42 PM

Yep, I'll be picking this up tomorrow, I still have my StarFox Super Weekend bomber jacket that I won when the first one came out for SNES, what a great game.. anyone else remember the contests wal-mart had when the game came out?...ahhh the memories...
Old 09-24-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ign gave it a 9.0. they say its a very huge game that is fun and well put together.

Presentation
Is this Dinosaur Planet or Star Fox? We're not exactly sure. 5.0

Graphics
Outstanding. From model construction to texture detail, animation, world building and more, this game looks beautiful. Only a few marks in framerate and textures drop it down. 9.0

Sound
Amazingly well done. Solidly composed music mixes with top voice acting, though it is a bit over the top. 9.0

Gameplay
Zelda with a Fox. Some of the puzzles are challenging and satisfying and others are either too easy or too disorienting. A very long quest. 8.0

Lasting Appeal
The quest is absolutely huge the first time through and there are some secrets worth checking out a second time, but this type of title by nature is best played once. 7.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.0

read review here
Old 09-24-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just started playing, its pretty damn sweet

star fox jamming to hard rock is funny
Old 09-24-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok im stuck: i got to the part where dinosaur dudes start throwing barrels at you, i guess i missed the key i need, where the hell is it?
Old 09-25-02, 06:45 PM

The game Rocks so Far! i really like the music, havn't found any stumbers yet, one thing i found funny is when they talk in another language then say names they make it sound all normal when everyone else sounds really funny and kool
Old 09-25-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you get to bang Krystal, or are the rumors I've heard about Fox and Falco true?
Old 09-26-02, 04:58 PM

Got this on Tuesday and had a chance to play it a bit. I'm having fun, but something just isn't clicking. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game just seems unfinished. Might have something to do with all of the concepts that were tacked onto the original "Dinosaur Planet" idea.

It was a little hard to get into the game at first. When I start up a game called Starfox Adventures I don't want to spend the first level playing as a unknown blue chick throwing barrels at jellyfish.

Once Fox comes into the picture the game gets a lot better. It really feels like a Zelda title (other than the Arwing sequences). I have no complaints with the camera. It works well for a game of this nature, and the first-person mode is more than enough to get my bearings. The PDA and shopkeeper maps are very helpful as well.

Like I said I'm having fun, but I'm still a little underwhelmed. The game just didn't WOW me in the way that playing Mario Sunshine or Animal Crossing for the first time did. However, after a couple days of play it is growing on me, and I am enjoying it. Hopefully it keeps ramping up.
Old 09-26-02, 05:38 PM

I need help. Im stuck on the first part, where you are throwing the barrels at those flying things. I've climbed down the ladders, but I don't see where I am to go from there. I have also gone inside the castle (i guess that's what it is) and went past the fire into the room where the life stone (or whatever ot's called) is.

I did see (collect) only one keey, but I used it to open the door / gate after the dragor or bird drops you off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Anj
Old 09-26-02, 05:44 PM

Anjanettea,

Spoiler:
After you ran through the room of fire, did you put a barrel on the platform to open the gate in the room at the other end?
Old 09-26-02, 05:49 PM

Groucho,

THANKS!!!

I'll try that.

Anj
Old 09-26-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend of mine bought this and we're about halfway through. Seems sort of short as he bought it on Tuesday and as of yesterday we were halfway through (he's probably about 3/4 through by now).

It's a fun game -- an obvious Zelda rip-off, of course -- though a bit easy. The one thing that this game desperately needed was a jump button, though.

Figuring out moves for the fights is fun. It's great when you can get a 20-hit combo in on the bigger guys.
Old 09-26-02, 10:33 PM

yes i definetly agree, a jump buttom would be nice!
Old 09-27-02, 12:08 PM

Need help, after you beat the ice cave, and on yur way back to thorntail place, u found a mamatth, that says he needs his golden roots, where are they? i cant get through that ice cave thing also, right by him, ???
Old 10-01-02, 04:31 PM

Need help, (Again), how do I purchase bag for the scarabs? Right now, I am walking around with only 10 scarabs. Or do I have to search for the bag. Thanks.

Last edited by Anjanettea; 10-01-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 04:40 PM

Mantecore:

Spoiler:
Root: check the store. Cave: you'll be able to get to it soon enough with the help of Tricky (your post was three days ago, so you probably have reached that point).

Anjanettea:

Spoiler:
You can't actually purchase the scarab bags. Key characters will give them to you at key points in the game, however.
Old 10-01-02, 06:44 PM

I think it was one of the big mamath's that gives it to you, i think it was about 13% done with the game. Thanks Groucho, but your right, im way past that by now , thx though
Old 10-01-02, 08:07 PM

Mantecore & Groucho,
I'm just getting to the Ice Mountain. As you can tell, I don't play my games very often. Still have to go back and complete some of the other things in ThornTail Hollow.

Anj
Old 10-04-02, 02:51 PM

For anyone who has defeated this game -- Is there any option to save after you defeat the final boss? I never got around to using any of my "cheat" tokens and it would suck if I can't go back to the other parts of the game after I have won.
Old 10-04-02, 03:37 PM

Anything in particular as to qhat the cheat tokens do? I already threw 2 into a well. Really haven't seen anything spectacular.

Thanks.

Anj
Old 10-04-02, 09:42 PM
Cool New Member

Anjanettea: Check your menus (audio options, video options, etc) the next time you start a game.
Old 10-05-02, 12:07 AM

Is it just me, or is the snowspeeder section of Ice Mountain not one of the most annoying mini-games EVER!!! It's bad enough they put a mini-race like that in the game but to have shoddy controls and collision detection (on this mini game) and a really annoying course with rocks and suck right in the middle.. I've tried a bunch of times and still can't beat or defeat the other racers.. I know I'm tired but sheesh this just blows!
Old 10-09-02, 04:43 PM

Im still at only 30%, ive had like 0 times in the past 1-2 weeks to play this, which is kinda dissappointing!