Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

X-boys --- who will dare to invest in "Steel Battalion"?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who don't know what Steel Battalion is, i'll try to bring you up to speed. Steel Battalion is a mech pilot game that's very special in one respect - the controller needed to play the game is a life-sized exact replica of the control panel of the inside of the mech you pilot. The game comes out this November for X-box only, and will cost $200.

Here's a link to a photo of the controller:

http://www.ncsx.org/2002/ncs090902/ncs0909.htm

Now the question is: who will pay $200, the cost of an X-box, to play a game that comes with a controller so specialized that it will only work with that particular game (or series, if Capcom decides to continue the franchise)?
Old 09-23-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After playing it I am definitely buying this game. No question.
Old 09-23-02, 02:00 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Checking in
Old 09-23-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I wanted to so much, but I don't think I'll be able to rationalize paying more than $99 for a game. Someone will have to talk me into it.
Old 09-23-02, 03:21 AM

Pretty big thread on this already. Check it:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=230592
Old 09-23-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I won't. Not b/c of price but strictly b/c I am not into Mech games. Can you imagine the learning curve on this game!?!?!
Old 09-23-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I won't. Not b/c of price but strictly b/c I am not into Mech games. Can you imagine the learning curve on this game!?!?!
Well just think - once you've mastered operating a Mech, you're that much closer to a class C Mech Pilot's license. Then, once the war starts in the year 2023 - guess who they're gonna call up for duty?
Old 09-23-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am thinking of investing an XBOX AND Steel Battlion.

Kiss goodbye to $400.
Old 09-23-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Well just think - once you've mastered operating a Mech, you're that much closer to a class C Mech Pilot's license. Then, once the war starts in the year 2023 - guess who they're gonna call up for duty?
I haven't really dabbled into the Mech realm much at all either. But this looks like a hell of a gaming experience. An arcade machine like this would be $20,000+. This looks like the closest re-creation of one of these types of games for the home market. I'm hoping it won't be as high as the $200 estimate. If it's down at $150 like the price in Japan I might bite if it gets incredible reviews. This thing sure as hell better get above 9.0 on IGN and above 8.5 from Gamespot for me to consider the investment. I also have to wonder how far away an XBOX Live enabled version hits the market. Anyone else think the on-screen cockpit controls are just a little too obtrusive?
Old 09-23-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lastblade
I am thinking of investing an XBOX AND Steel Battlion.

Kiss goodbye to $400.
You too?!?! I just bought a XBOX over the weekend. I'm playing HALO now...but I will be getting Steel Battalion!
Old 09-23-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No game is worth $200, I don't care how good it is. The majority of people who actually waste their money on it will do so for bragging rights. I had thoughts about buying Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, until I realized that even at $100, that's just too damn much. Most expensive game I own is Time Crisis II w/GunCon2, which was $60, and I will probably never pay more than that for a game.
Old 09-23-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
$200 bones is to much for one game. $75 is the highest I consider paying far one game.
Old 09-23-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll wait 6 months and get it on ebay for less.
Old 09-23-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To the people who don't want to spend $200 on a game-

I bet if they released this game in Japan only, you would be screaming "Why don't we get that stuff in the US? I'd pay anything for that game!"

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! We normally would never get something like this!

After my employee discount I'll get it for $160, but I would pay full price for it. You have to play it to understand what your dealing with.
Old 09-23-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish it were physically possible to take that bet, 'cause I'd win a lot of money off you. And how exactly is Capcom selling a game to the public and making profit off it a "gift horse?"
Old 09-23-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
I wish it were physically possible to take that bet, 'cause I'd win a lot of money off you. And how exactly is Capcom selling a game to the public and making profit off it a "gift horse?"

We normally don't get games like this. It would be like us getting Boonga Boonga with the lifesize butt and finger controller. Just wait til you play it.
Old 09-23-02, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by teplitsa
I'll wait 6 months and get it on ebay for less.
You may be in for a nasty surprise. Considering this game is being released in extremely limited quantities, much like Panzer Dragoon Saga, it will likely cost you more on ebay, not less.
Old 09-23-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KingSmoth
No game is worth $200, I don't care how good it is. The majority of people who actually waste their money on it will do so for bragging rights. I had thoughts about buying Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, until I realized that even at $100, that's just too damn much. Most expensive game I own is Time Crisis II w/GunCon2, which was $60, and I will probably never pay more than that for a game.
LOL, obviously you people have never bought a Neo Geo home cartridge

I have about 90 of these, and most of them cost $200+; Recent ones like King of Fighters 2001 is $300.
Old 09-23-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The packaging is GENIUS. I love it. Try to bring that on an airplane...
Old 09-23-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought an X-box for this game alone. I had to knock down the wall between the living room and dining room, and turn the two into one large living room in order to make room for the X-Box. Now I have to get rid of my kitchen in order to have a place to put the joystick... Damn--this game is gonna cost me a few grand for the renovations alone...

OK, sorry, stupid joke. And, I know, I'm a hypocrite . . .
Old 09-23-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL, obviously you people have never bought a Neo Geo home cartridge

I have about 90 of these, and most of them cost $200+; Recent ones like King of Fighters 2001 is $300.
I always wanted a Neo Geo, but the price of a soul for the system alone wasn't worth it.
Old 09-23-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe, Neo Geo is my favorite system of all time. There is NOTHING like opening a brand new $300+ videogame cartridge. And the fact that there are new games being developed on it in 2002 (and beyond) and IN THE ARCADES is a testament to its design and the programmers who squeeze every bit of power from it.... 10+ years after its release.

If you like 2D fighters and action games, there IS NO better system (save perhaps the Saturn + 4meg ram cart).
Old 09-23-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw them demonstrate this game on the screensavers a few weeks ago, it looked really intriguing! Lots of buttons and switches to push and twist. One thing they mentioned is that there's no force feedback in the controller, not even a rumble . For $200 i was hoping they'd put it in. Still, I'd like to try it out sometime, I don't think I could justify paying $200+ for a single game.....I wish they'd put it in the arcade for us money deprived individuals .
Old 09-23-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The game looks hard to play at Tokyo now, but once you get used to the controllers, then with a big screen and 5.1 sound,you' re hooked on it. It sure is worth it;s money!
Old 09-23-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe, Neo Geo is my favorite system of all time. There is NOTHING like opening a brand new $300+ videogame cartridge. And the fact that there are new games being developed on it in 2002 (and beyond) and IN THE ARCADES is a testament to its design and the programmers who squeeze every bit of power from it.... 10+ years after its release.

If you like 2D fighters and action games, there IS NO better system (save perhaps the Saturn + 4meg ram cart).
That is true. The Metal Slug series is by far the coolest stuff I've played in the arcades in a long time, as well as Samurai Shodown.
I just got myself a Saturn a few weeks ago, but don't know much about the different carts. I want to get some import games, but I have no idea what kind of cart I need for that, or anything else for that matter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.