Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

As a Gamecube owner, are you feeling slightly disappointed?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-23-02, 01:44 AM

I'm slightly disappointed with the recent releases for the Gamecube.

Resident Evil, despite the fantastic reviews, was just a 6-year old game with seriously dated and flawed gameplay re-wrapped into a prettier package. But beyond the amazing graphics, the game was too short, shallow, and depended more on novelty extra modes to give it substance.

Eternal Darkness was a pretty intense game, but the game's pace was much too slow for me - and the controls were just as clunky as Resident Evil's.

I rented SMS and it turned out to be the type of game that i hate the most - a platform game where you run around mindlessly collecting coins. I did that over 6 years ago in Mario 64 (and again in almost every platform title released since then). In 7 days i managed to blast through the entire game, which was a rather tedious chore if you ask me.

Animal Crossing is one of those unique Japanese titles that rarely sees a US release, but i think Nintendo realized that it needed a serious influx of software. It's fun, but the game is more of a gigantic novelty than anything. And the graphics aren't really tapping into the power of the GCN. They're about the level of a Dreamcast game.

Apparantly, Star Fox is going to be everything that i will hate about platform games, and won't live up to the franchise name.

Right now, the only titles i'm looking forward to on the Gamecube are Metroid Prime and Robotech. Hopefully, they won't disappoint...otherwise, i may have to invest in an X-box.
Old 09-23-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or, you could invest in a PS2 and get Socom and a NA.
Old 09-23-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slightly?! No, not slightly, HIGHLY. If it weren't for the Resident Evil's, I would have sold my GC long ago. It sat for months unused until RE came along, then sat again.

ED was rather boring (IMO), and it was obvious that it was originally designed for the N64.

I was enjoying SMS for a while, then it just reminded me of why I didn't really like Mario 64.

From what I played of Starfox, it's just a run of the mill 3D platformer. We get 10 of these every month, how about a little innovation?

I am actually looking forward to Metroid, though I can only do so while not thinking of it as a Metroid game, but just as a new FPS.

I'll hold off on my opinion of the new Zelda until I get to play some of it (2 years from now?).

I could rant for a while longer, but I've probably done it 50 times previous in other threads, so I'll just stop here.
Old 09-23-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, hell no.

I'm ****ing ECSTATIC over the GameCube

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2
Animal Crossing
Wrestlemania X8

Sure, there aren't a TON of "must own" games, but it's not like the PS2 and XBOX have titles EVERYONE MUST OWN NOW OMGOMGOMG
Old 09-23-02, 02:27 AM
Banned

I'm not a Gamecube owner, but I was pretty disappointed in the N64. However, the multi-player games like Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and WCW/NWO Revenge got major playing time, so it all worked out in the end.

But this is coming from someone who was majorly burned on the Sega 32X and Dreamcast. I thought about buying the Gamecube just for Metroid, but I don't think it'll be worth it.
Old 09-23-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: As a Gamecube owner, are you feeling slightly disappointed?

Originally posted by superboyreturns
Resident Evil, despite the fantastic reviews, was just a 6-year old game with seriously dated and flawed gameplay re-wrapped into a prettier package. But beyond the amazing graphics, the game was too short, shallow, and depended more on novelty extra modes to give it substance.

Eternal Darkness was a pretty intense game, but the game's pace was much too slow for me - and the controls were just as clunky as Resident Evil's.

I rented SMS and it turned out to be the type of game that i hate the most - a platform game where you run around mindlessly collecting coins. I did that over 6 years ago in Mario 64 (and again in almost every platform title released since then). In 7 days i managed to blast through the entire game, which was a rather tedious chore if you ask me.

Animal Crossing is one of those unique Japanese titles that rarely sees a US release, but i think Nintendo realized that it needed a serious influx of software. It's fun, but the game is more of a gigantic novelty than anything. And the graphics aren't really tapping into the power of the GCN. They're about the level of a Dreamcast game.
Speaking as both a Gamecube and Xbox owner, I couldn't disagree with you more. In fact, I am eagerly awaiting the sequels to every game you listed.

Resident Evil Zero: It wouldn't be RE without the control/camera scheme. I hope RE 4 doesn't mess too much with the control scheme.

Eternal Darkness: On my list of "Game of the Year" contenders! Ever since I completed this amazing game I hope to hear the 'magick' words that a sequel is coming soon. *fingers crossed*

Mario Sunshine: Yeah this game does remind of Mario 64. But since I consider Mario 64 as being one of the greatest videogames ever created, that is a good thing. Halo plays the same as the FPS that came before, MGS 2 plays the same as MGS, Gran Turismo 3 plays just like the games that came before, blah blah etc.... All I know is that Miyamoto has already announced that another Mario game will grace the Gamecube and I'll be there when it hits!

Animal Crossing: Wow, talk about your sleeper hit title. Just look at the threads on this board to see what a great and fun game this is. Rumors are already flying (from EGM), that a new Animal Crossing game with online play is in the works!

Old 09-23-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played Metroid and Zelda the other day, they are so awesome they'll melt your faces off!
Old 09-23-02, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose I don't need to say that I was disappointed. I don't own one myself, but there's one in my house. My roommate brought it back from his summer break in New Hampshire. I was pretty excited to play Resident Evil and it was a total let-down because I didn't think the graphics were all that hot. I'm still excited for the next games in the series. I also didn't like that they kept the lousy control scheme which seemed to me to be even more confusing in this version. It did have its moments and I still think it's a good game, but for some reason it certainly wasn't as scary the second time around.

Eternal Darkness was lame (IMO) and I completely lost interest in it fast. Even though it started out promising, once I got into it I discovered it was just tedious survival horror without the horror. It was Disneyesque and lacked any real suspense. Also - the puzzles were dumb.

Mario Sunshine was a surprise for me because I actually liked it. I've never been a fan of Mario, but this one had some interesting level design. Apart from that bit of lackluster enthusiasm, I found that I lost interest in this too. The graphics were very nice and (once I figured out how to move the camera) the controls were solid (even for that whacked controller). Needless to say I thought it was too childish rather than family friendly which can be a turnoff. There was some game for another system where you play a magnet head guy and it was kinda fun except it was far too childish and I quickly lost interest.

Pikmin is addictive and fun. I can't complain about that game one bit.

The gamecube itself - I like the design of the small box, but they neglected to include DD5.1 which I think was a big mistake. Also - the small discs remind me why I dislike their greedy corporate ways and how they like to control production and charge developers. The one thing I dislike is the controller. It seems too small for my hands (which aren't 'giant' or anything) and the button layout is just weird. I can get used to the button layout though - my main problem is that it feels cheap and the analog sticks are too loose. Playing ED and holding the controller vertically in the air - gravity was enough to pull the loose analog stick down enough for the character to slowly creep towards the bottom of the screen. Truly annoying. At that budget price though it's excusable for it to have budget hardware.

This is nothing new though because I've never liked any of Nintendo's controllers - NES - "Ouch! I think I'm bleeding", SNES - Actually, this one is okay and they fixed what they did wrong with the first one. I have a Gravis gamepad that is a ripoff of it. Genesis still had a better controller though and the SNES one was dated. N64 - Someone shoot the guy who invented this monstrosity... it did have some innovative features, but overall it was an ugly beast I thought.

The buzz about this console and the Xbox were enough to get me interested in console gaming again (after decades with just PC gaming and playing on friend's consoles) so I broke down and picked up a $50 dreamcast. That was going to be it because I didn't intend on picking up an Xbox. My girlfriend bought me one though and I've had a blast with it... hardly ever touching my Dreamcast. I'm sure once the Gamecube games start rolling in, there will be a reason to have my roommate drag it back out to the living room. I just think that the Gamecube is a console gamer's console. It's for people who grew up on Nintendo hardware. It's good for what it is. I think the Xbox is the PC gamer's console... and as a PC gamer, I am having more fun with it than someone who grew up on consoles. Different strokes for different folks.

In all fairness - I was disappointed with the Gamecube before I even had my hands on one and I didn't want to give it a fair shake. Playing Star Wars and Smash Brothers at kiosks was a major disappointment. When I head my roommate owned a Gamecube and Resident Evil and was bringing it back with him, I started to get hyped up to play it. I have since given it a chance and while I don't have enough negative feelings to say I hate it, I can't say I'm all that impressed either. Politics aside, if they just release some more games like Pikmin, SMS and Resident Evil I think it'll turn out to be a fine console that I'll be able to warm up to.
Old 09-23-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. I love the cube. Iíve been playing Mario and Animal Crossing lately, after completing Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness. Iím looking forward to the holiday releases as well. not disappointed at all.

this is where you lost credibility with me: when you posted....

how, for the love of god, did you not know that SMS was a platform game? were the other 75 Mario titles misleading? especially after you played Mario 64? i mean come on.... it turned out to be a platform game where you collect coins ??? not only is that only part of the game.... but EVERY MARIO GAME BEFORE IT HAS SOME ELEMENT OF THIS.... how could you not know?

Last edited by huh?; 09-23-02 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-23-02, 07:01 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Yep, so disappointed that I put it on Ebay and sold it. I'll stick with my PS2, XBox, and PC for gaming.
Old 09-23-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No offense, but in all seriousness superboyreturns, the reasons you list for not likeing the games listed hardly seem accurate of the play mechanics of those games. Almost as though you never played them or you had your mind made up before playing them.

I think the GC has been Nintendo's greatest console yet, and I've been here for all of them Certain gamers will go for a different style of gameplay, and that may be your case I suppose. But to reduce Mario Sunshine one of the greatest platformers of all time to a simple coin gathering task of a game it not correct. I can't prove that the game is great, but I could surly prove that it's not just about coin gathering.

Anyway, if you don't like these games you can always purchase another console. God bless America. Perhaps if you listed what types of games you do enjoy some people on here could suggest what you may like.
Old 09-23-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't disagree more.

I've currently got Kindom Hearts for the PS2 collecting dust, because Animal Crossing is so much fun to play.

I loved Eternal Darkness (clunky controls? hardly) and Super Mario Sunshine is about as much fun as I've had all year.

Resident Evil was great and I look forward to Resident Evil 0.

The fact your complaining about the graphics on Animal Crossing kills me. Gaming is not just about graphics, especially not a game like Animal Crossing.

The console that has been a total disapointment for me is the Xbox. I haven't turned it on more than twice in the last month and the only game I still have for it is Tony Hawk 2X. I have 0 games I plan on getting for it this year. Its basically a DVD player, but I did order the Live beta test kit, so maybe I will get some use out of it.

The Game Cube and the Wavebird are the best two purchases I've ever made. However, if the Nintendo games aren't for you definitely move on to something you like more. Its about the games and if you don't like what the Cube has to offer there is no reason not to move on.
Old 09-23-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 99% happy with the cube. That one percent comes from Mario Kart's absence. When it comes out, along with the other great games (my opinion) that have already been released (Smash Bros., Monkey Ball, ED), and considering the potential of the games that are coming, I'm fairly confident that I'll be very happy with my cube.

stoolie
Old 09-23-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nope, I am loving my GC. Resident Evil is my favorite game series so that alone is enough for me to be happy. Games like Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, SMS, and Animal Crossing are just nice bonuses
Old 09-23-02, 08:50 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

It's probably evident in the games I own.

Gamecube: 3
XBox: 9 + XL Beta
PS2: 8 + NA adaptor

My 3 Gamecube games are Resident Evil 0, Eternal Darkness, and Star Wars Rogue Leader II.

Am I dissapointed? No. I knew there would be very few games on the Cube that interest me from the start. I don't want any Mario or Zelda games. I don't want Animal Crossing or Pikmin.

After looking at my own release list, I only see 5 games that I want: Die Hard Vendetta, Metroid Prime, RE0, RE4, and possible SW Bounty Hunter if it's any good.

After that, the Cube's future is uncertain for me. Previously, I was in it for the long run with Perfect Dark 0 and Conker on the distant horizon. Now I may consider selling it unless they announce something really spectacular.
Old 09-23-02, 09:26 AM

I'm really hoping for a price drop to $99 soon so I can pick up a GC finally. I want Animal Crossing, Mario and Rouge Leader
Old 09-23-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kinda. SMS and ED weren't as good as I had hoped them to be. But SMB2 is awesome, and even though I find Animal Crossing to be severely lacking as a game I can't seem to stop playing it So the bads have been balanced out by some surprise goods.

I am slightly disappointed that the Xbox hasn't given me any reason to buy it yet, though.
Old 09-23-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
But to reduce Mario Sunshine one of the greatest platformers of all time to a simple coin gathering task of a game it not correct. I can't prove that the game is great, but I could surly prove that it's not just about coin gathering.
It's also about being a civil servant cleaning up paint and goop.

Seriously though, can't you let people have their own opinions? Not everyone has to like Mario. Whether you believe this or not, everything you feel about Mario is nothing more than your opinion.
Old 09-23-02, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
It's also about being a civil servant cleaning up paint and goop.

Seriously though, can't you let people have their own opinions? Not everyone has to like Mario. Whether you believe this or not, everything you feel about Mario is nothing more than your opinion.
I forgot about the service you are right. BTW Al Gore is planning on teaming up wiht Nintendo next time around.

OnT

I have no problem letting people like or dislike a game, but many of his descriptions are just plain incorrect. ED "clunky controls"? Say what? Mario being a simple coin collecting game? I don't think so. It is a FACT that there is more to the game then that. Not opinion.

i don't care if people hate the games on the cube, but I'm not going to let people spread complete lies about a game based on their opinion of it.

When I say Mario Sunshine is one of the greatest games of all time, that is my opinion. But when I say there are many different tasks, objectives, obsticles, gameplay mechanics, and challenges in SMS that is a fact, I can prove that simpley by tuning it on and playing if for 5 min. So in otherwords, I can prove that the game is not just about running around and getting coins.

Again, I have no problem speaking their mind so don't try and play that card on me. I guess he is just speaking his mind, therefore I should shutup. So I will.
Old 09-23-02, 11:13 AM

Two months ago the Cube was disappointing, as there was nothing to really play. I didn't find ED as engrossing as I would have liked. Even with the blockbuster game pass, I rarely rented cube games, although Pikmin was a standout. But in the last two months I've had Mario, Phantasty Star Online Trial, and Phantasy Online full edition come out, and I've been really busy with those. So yes I was disappointed at first, but now I'm pleased with it.
Old 09-23-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not dissapointed. At the 150 purchase price, I'd have to get 3 great games out of the system to get my moneys worth. I got Super Monkey Ball, Rogue Leader II, and Mario all within the first week of owning the system. I could not buy another game ever and I'd be satisfied.

I still want Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Zelda (maybe), Metroid (maybe).
Old 09-23-02, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by alexkat
Two months ago the Cube was disappointing, as there was nothing to really play. I didn't find ED as engrossing as I would have liked. Even with the blockbuster game pass, I rarely rented cube games, although Pikmin was a standout. But in the last two months I've had Mario, Phantasty Star Online Trial, and Phantasy Online full edition come out, and I've been really busy with those. So yes I was disappointed at first, but now I'm pleased with it.
Where'd you get your PSO from? I'm thinking about ordering it soon.
Old 09-23-02, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by mljones99
Where'd you get your PSO from? I'm thinking about ordering it soon.
I got two, one from Hong Kong that was part of a Trial package. Then one from a store called japanvideogames.com, although I went to their walk in store here in San Gabriel, Ca. They also sell the keyboards there. Mine are import copies, so if you have a modded cube and are looking to import I recommend japanvideogames.com. The Hong Kong package came with some really nice memory card stickers and postcards.
Old 09-23-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just slightly disappointed as the game I'm waiting for will not be out until next year unless a miracle happens. I'm hoping Zelda will be as awsome to play as it looks. Since I got my Xbox my Gamecube and PS2 have been collecting dust. I've mainly been playing Morrowind, but I recently took a little break to play some NFL 2K3. I decided to go back to finish FFX on the PS2 before going back to finish Morrowind. I've played Morrowind for over 200 hours and I don't think I'm even half of the way through the main quest (I've been so busy with side quests).

Besides Zelda I'm looking forward to picking up Animal Crossing and SMS when I can find them on sale or used, but I probably won't be able to get to them for a while. I have many more games I want to get for my Xbox this fall.

Having all three consoles is both a blessing and a curse at the same time. I just need more time to play. Don't even talk to me about all the DVDs I have to watch.
Old 09-23-02, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by alexkat
I got two, one from Hong Kong that was part of a Trial package. Then one from a store called japanvideogames.com, although I went to their walk in store here in San Gabriel, Ca. They also sell the keyboards there. Mine are import copies, so if you have a modded cube and are looking to import I recommend japanvideogames.com. The Hong Kong package came with some really nice memory card stickers and postcards.
Thanks for the info. I'm getting the keyboard from a friend in japan and I am really thinking about getting PSO before the US release just to play around. Does it come with the modem?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.