Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

that green XBOX monster cable: important?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanna make sure before I buy my XBOX, I don't need that particular XBOX monster cable to connect to my surround sound system do I? Can I buy a different one? Also, is that all I need to plug into my sound system? Like, do I just stick one end into the xbox and one end into the coaxial input of my soundsystem? Thanks!
Old 09-22-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't need to buy the monster cables - any cables (some even come with the advanced and hd kits) will work. You do need to buy either the advanced a/v kit (s-video and optical outputs) or the high definiteion kit (component and optical outputs) to get digital suround sound. If you're just looking for pro ologic sound you can use the cables that come with the xbox (composite),

To get digital surround sound you just need to hook up one of the extra kits, plug one end of an optical cable (there's no coax output) into the kit and one end into your receiver.
Old 09-22-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, i don't know if this will be moved into the hometheater thread or not then cause it seems to be going this way, but, ok. So I gotta buy an extra kit to use the surround sound on my system...so...I don't have a HD TV, so I guess I'm getting the S-video optical output cable? Is that just one cord? Or...what's it supposed to look like. If anyone has time, a link to one which I can buy would help =) Thanks!
Old 09-22-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, my last post was a bit confusing. I was asking if its just one cord to connect my XBOX to my surround sound system?
And I need the S-Video cord to hook the XBOX up to my tv right? What if I want both my VCR and xbox hooked up at the same time. Right now my vcr and tv are connected via composite cables.
Okay...finally, sorry to be so bothersome, but cords and stuff are all universal right? cause my sound system and tv , vcr, all are japanese. (i live in japan)

thanks for all the help
Old 09-22-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What inputs does your receiver have?

What inputs does your TV have?
Old 09-22-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1581

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1070

http://www.bestbuy.com/videogames/pr...1488&scat=1943
Old 09-22-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, my TV has composite cable inputs and outputs, and S video inputs and outputs. My receiver under "digital" there is a coaxel and a optical connection. Under analog, there is "front" and "surround." Right now I'm only using my front speakers hooked up into my computers. (can't find anything cheap enough that i can hook my computer up to both connections into the analog part).
Old 09-22-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh wow, thanks trigger. I might actually buy that xbox kit thingy
Old 09-22-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get the Advanced A/V pack. Run the S-Video to your TV (or your receiver if you run out of inputs and your receiver support S-Video switching). Run the optical to your receiver.
Old 09-22-02, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by mytzplyx
oh wow, thanks trigger. I might actually buy that xbox kit thingy
If you're not using but the front speakers then you will be missing some sounds coming from games if you use the optical cable because all of the sound will be separated into the different channels in 5.1.
You really need to get all of your speakers in order to enjoy it better. My suggestion would be to go ahead and get the Advance kit, use the S-video for the tv, then use some composite (red & white) cables to your reciever and play it in analog stereo till you get all of your speakers.
Old 09-23-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh, I have a 6 piece surround sound set. What I was saying is that, the analog inputs are split into surround sound speakers, and front speakers, and my computer (laptop) only has one sound output thingy. So naturally, I gotta choose to plug it into the front speakers, or surround sound speakers port in my receiver.

Okay, so I guess I'll hav eto buy the Advanaced a/v pack, an S-video cord, and a fiber optic cable. Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 09-23-02, 08:03 AM
Cool New Member

The Advanced AV pack comes with an S-Video cable. The only cable you need to buy is the Optical Cable.
Old 09-23-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Should be around 40 bucks for the AV pack and the 15 ft of optical cable. You don't need the green monster cable... in fact, it's crappy - the plastic mesh around it comes loose at the ends and is just pointless.