Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX owners: best blind buys for XBOX?

Old 09-20-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

XBOX owners: best blind buys for XBOX?

I'm not in the U.S., but I'll be getting a U.S. Xbox in a week or so and with it I'll have to buy U.S. games to import. I was wondering what are definite winners for this system? I know HALO and DEAD OR ALIVE.

Dead or alive 3 i will definitely buy cause well, i like fighting games.

Halo, i'm not sure, just because its kind of dated, correct? Or not...

Someone made a suggestion for ENCLAVE, but I'd like to have a game where more than 1 person can play. Maybe I'll end up buying it just cause the graphics look amazing.

Okay, so basically, I'm looking for a game that's definitely definitely good for 1 person or more (preferably 3 or 4). I like fightin games, but DOD3 covers that. Action is definitely good.
Also, it has to be good in all categories, ESPECIALLY replay value. Remember, these are blind buys cause I can't return em easily. Anyways, your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This will also be my first console since Super Nintendo. I chose XBOX cause well, if I'm gonna gamble, I'll put my money on Microsoft, as much as I despise them.

Lets just say I got sudden inspiration to play games again. Welcome me back, gaming world.
Old 09-20-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like JSRF also. Nice Cel-shaded game and thumpin soundtrack. Can usually get it $39 or less now. Robotech is also Cel-shaded but i'm not sure of the gameplay value as I have it preordered and "should" get it next week.

DOA3 is great but does have a very short single player replay value but lots of eye candy.
Old 09-20-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I highly recommend Outlaw Golf. I know a lot of people think that golf games are dull, but I have about 15 Xbox games, and this is the one I come back to the most. It's addictive like you wouldn't believe.
Old 09-20-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome back.

My personal favorites with lots of replay value are as follows:

Halo - 'nuff said
DOA3
Rallisport Challenge - I am normally not a racing fan (I prefer games like Driver) but this one is top notch & very addictive. Tons of replay value.
Morrowind - I am also normally not a RPG fan either but this is a very deep game & keeps me interested.
Outlaw Golf - lots of fun
Simpsons Road Rage - I know many people hate this game but being a big Simpsons fan, I really enjoy it. I have had a lot more fun playing it than Taxi Driver 3.

Max Payne is not big on replay value but is a great game to check out as well. Lots of other big ones coming in the next couple of months as well but it is too soon to tell what will be big.
Old 09-20-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you haven't played it before on other consoles then Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x is a lot of fun. Amped is another good one in the same extreme sports genre.

I've only played a little bit so far but Hunter also seems pretty cool, it's mindless fun but it's definitely fun.
Old 09-20-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, took me a minute or two to figure out what JSRF was, but I did and it looks really interesting...hmm...

Thanks a lot for your suggestions thus far, I'll read into all of them
Old 09-20-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Outlaw golf is suprisingly fun!

Don't rule out Crazy Taxi 3 quick and fun game.

There is always fusion frenzy for some four person action.
Old 09-20-02, 10:37 AM

Pick up HALO, it's definitely not dated and it's still the best game for XBOX.

If you like fighting games, I highly recommend Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A great mix of adventure and fighting games.

Tony Hawk 3 is a great game, and you might be able to pick it up cheaply (since 4 is almost here).
Old 09-20-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy is an awesome game for 4 people
Old 09-20-02, 11:09 AM
Banned

I agree with outlaw golf but my best blind buy was WRECKLESS. If you like driving games with awesome graphics and destruction, this is the game for you. It was also rated quite high by most reviewers.
Old 09-20-02, 02:31 PM

Project Gotham Racing is very fun too. I'm not sure if it has replay value, but the game itself is massive with the number of levels, types of challeges, and different cars.
Old 09-20-02, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by finbogg
Pick up HALO, it's definitely not dated and it's still the best game for XBOX.

If you like fighting games, I highly recommend Buffy the Vampire Slayer. A great mix of adventure and fighting games.

Tony Hawk 3 is a great game, and you might be able to pick it up cheaply (since 4 is almost here).
What he said... Halo is a must buy!
Old 09-20-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mad Dash Racing, bought at Costco for $20.

I'd take Simpsons Road Rage over Crazy Taxi if you're a Simpsons fan. Besides it's cheaper now.

Circus Maximus is pretty cool, but I like Mad Dash Racing better and they are a similar type of game even though the theme is completely different.

Just got Sega GT 2002. Project Gotham Racing is one of the games I play the most, so I was pretty certain to like GT. I think they compliment each other well. GT has lots of cars and PGR has lots of tracks.
Old 09-20-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you like sports?

I'm not a big sports fan, but after playing NFL 2K3 with my friend I ended up picking it up for myself. Even if you know just a little about football you may find it fun. Another one of my friends likes it an he's as far from a sports fan as you can get.

There's so much depth to this game that it can be overwhelming. There are so many things you can do like play a quick game, play a season, play a franchise, create your own players, create your own team, create your own playbook, etc. You can even just call plays and have the computer execute them if you want to concentrate more on strategy than on action.

One of the greatest features is that you can play 4 players in any combination from 4 against the CPU to 2-on-2 to 1-on-3. A fun way to spend a weekend with your friends. Plus you'll be able to play on Xbox Live.

NFL 2K3 = A great value!
Old 09-20-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Morrowind
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
LOTR next week looks to be shaping up nicely, I'll be buying it but can't say for sure whether anyone should.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-20-02, 07:01 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Shay
Project Gotham Racing is very fun too. I'm not sure if it has replay value, but the game itself is massive with the number of levels, types of challeges, and different cars.

Old 09-21-02, 12:33 AM

Three or four players? I'd suggest Hunter: The Reckoning before Gauntlet.

Halo's a given.

PGR, RalliSport, and Moto GP are all excellent racing games. Most people think Sega GT 2002 is also, but I've yet to play it.

Amped is a great game, and it's cheap, so there's less risk involved.

Outlaw Golf is surprisingly good.

------

I wouldn't recommend Mad Dash, Crazy Taxi 3, Simpsons Road Rage, or Circus Maximus. Crazy Taxi 3 is clearly the top dog in quality in this group, though... it's just that Crazy Taxi is a tired franchise in search of a new spark (hey, Sega: online play!).
Old 09-21-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: great sleeper hit that surprised alot of people.

-k
###
Old 09-21-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second Hunter: The reckoning as a better game than Gauntlet overall, although my best advice is to wait a month or so, I think Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is coming out on Xbox.

Other than that, Halo, DOA3, and some sports games (whatever you like).
Old 09-21-02, 03:26 AM

No one has mentioned Circus Maximus. I played it once and fell in love! The game is a trip! A new type of racing experience. Like Road Rash meets Gladiator. I never hear anyone on this board speak of this game. Buy it used, it's been around for a while apparently.

Chris
Old 09-21-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hunter was a decent game, but I would take Gauntlet over it anyday.
Old 09-21-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't care much for Gauntlet or Circus Maximus. Hunter is fun though. Buffy is actually surprisingly good. Outlaw Golf is awesome. Rallisport Challenge and PGR are both awesome racing games. Halo of course. Silent Hill 2 is great.
Old 09-21-02, 07:54 AM

A couple of low rated games that I had alot of fun with was "Azurik" and "Star Wars Obi-Wan"

I totally disagreed with the ratings they gave on both of these games.

Last edited by WOWZY; 09-21-02 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-21-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, I guess HALO still rocks so I will be picking that up. I just won a DOA3 auction on ebay for a reasonably good price and I think I'm going to do 2 blind buys. I've been reading the reviews on the games suggested and they all sound intriguing. One that I think I'll buy is the Jet Set Radio Future just cause its a good multiplayer game with almost no flaws as far as I can tell.

I guess I'll probably go through this thread to see which games were suggested however many times and I figure the one that's mentioned most should be the one to buy. Thanks a lot!