Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Old 09-16-02, 11:53 AM

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Anyone else looking forward to this title? It has already received a glowing review in PSM mag. (9/10) I loved the orig. on PS1---especially playing the cops. I played it a little bit at E3 this past spring and it was pretty cool, even in the raw form. Since it was supposed to come out in april, I wonder if they held it back to make sure everything was ironed out.
Old 09-16-02, 12:01 PM

I liked the previous game, but it didn't have enough replay value to justify a buy. I'll probably rent this one first.
Old 09-16-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The previous game you are referring to was actually the 3rd game in the series. Then there was Porsche Unleashed. Then Motor City Online... it seems like I'm missing something though... anyway - now this. I'm a big fan of the entire series and I'm really looking forward to this title... as long as it comes out on Xbox or PC (which I think it is).
Old 09-16-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
The previous game you are referring to was actually the 3rd game in the series. Then there was Porsche Unleashed. Then Motor City Online... it seems like I'm missing something though... anyway - now this.
Trigger, you're missing High Stakes. It came out after Hot Pursuit. It's the one where you raced for pink slips and stuff. I thought it was pretty fun, but not as fun as Hot Pursuit. It's just more exciting when I'm trying to out run a bunch of cops. I've played them all except for Porche Unleashed. I'm looking forward to Hot Pursuit 2.
Old 09-16-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup - that's the one - I knew there was something I was missing.
Old 09-16-02, 07:18 PM

Anyone seen any info on if this game will support the Logitech's Driving Force Force Feedback wheel for the PS2?
Old 09-17-02, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Zinc
Anyone seen any info on if this game will support the Logitech's Driving Force Force Feedback wheel for the PS2?
lets hope so it's the only way i played the original with the v3 wheel.
Old 09-30-02, 01:49 PM

Here's the insane thing: why is the PS2 version getting so much better reviews than the GC and Xbox versions? Example: EGM named the PS2 version "Game of the Month," but the Xbox and GC versions got a 7.0 and 6.5 respectively.

When are companies going to learn to port properly? What's the point of going multi-console with a game if you aren't going to do it right?
Old 09-30-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EGM rates the games based on comparisons to similar games on the same console I think... maybe that's why it got higher marks on the PS2 because the graphics are really nice for a PS2 game, but for an Xbox or Gamecube game they aren't so good. Or maybe you're right in that they didn't port it very well - that's disappointing because I wanted to pick it up for the Xbox.

How many cars are there in this game?
Old 09-30-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The EGMs reviews for the GC and the Xbox said the sense of speed is not there. I don't think it was framerate problems, just that the cars moved like molasses compared to the PS2 version. Sounds like crappy porting ot me.
Old 09-30-02, 02:49 PM

EGM's reviews of the Xbox version and GC version recommend that you go with the PS2 version instead, for the reasons already mentioned by Aghama. It really surprised me to see such disparity.
Old 09-30-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like another bad job of porting a game over. I loved the demo, but I will have to go with the PS2 version when I would prefer to get either the Xbox or GC one.
Old 10-01-02, 08:59 AM

release date still 10/01 today?
Old 10-01-02, 12:04 PM

best buy and eb games say 10/3......doh!
Old 10-01-02, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darkside
Looks like another bad job of porting a game over. I loved the demo, but I will have to go with the PS2 version when I would prefer to get either the Xbox or GC one.
Why would you prefer to get the X Box or GC version?
Old 10-01-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenflowddt
I can't speak for him, but it's probably because the GC and XBOX both have superior graphics power and the Xbox at least has superior sound - these are nice when taken advantage of by developers. If they developed this for the PS2 and ported it over to the other systems, then that's too bad. Personally, I like the Xbox controller, so I'd rather play driving games on it. I guess I'll just buy this for the PC.
Old 10-01-02, 12:54 PM
Banned

I can't speak for him, but it's probably because the GC and XBOX both have superior graphics power and the Xbox at least has superior sound - these are nice when taken advantage of by developers. If they developed this for the PS2 and ported it over to the other systems, then that's too bad. Personally, I like the Xbox controller, so I'd rather play driving games on it. I guess I'll just buy this for the PC.
oh ok. I like the Dual Shock 2 the best among the three controllers so the PS2 version of a multiplatform game is the one I prefer buying. Unless the graphics for PS2 are a lot worse than X Box.
Old 10-01-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by evenflowddt
I also would prefer the Xbox version, because of faster load times and not having to worry about memory card space. But based on the reviews, I'll probably be checking out the PS2 version.
Old 10-01-02, 01:39 PM
Suspended

I think I'll try it when it hits the PC...downloadable cars and higher res graphics should be nice.
Old 10-03-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Minor mystery solved: The PS2 version was developed by Black Box; the GC, Xbox, and PC by EA Seattle.
Old 10-03-02, 10:40 AM

Gamecrazy had the games yesterday, they are inside of select hollywood videos. If anyone knows where to get a good deal please let us know
Old 10-03-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
Minor mystery solved: The PS2 version was developed by Black Box; the GC, Xbox, and PC by EA Seattle.
Argh - EA has been doing that...
Old 10-03-02, 04:12 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

just came home with the game.. its a sweet game, too bad i don''t have pro logic 2 ... anybody know what the points you earn are for?
Old 10-03-02, 05:34 PM
Banned

I played Need for Speed today at EB. This is a great racing game from what I've seen. I might be getting it soon.
Old 10-03-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Argh - EA has been doing that...
I wish they would stop. Multi-developers on one game usually leads to disaster. The second group takes what the first group did great for one console and does a sloppy job of getting it ready for the rest.

This could have been such a great Xbox game.
It is pretty sweet on the PS2 though. Definitely worth checking out. Some of the cop cars are amazing. Only cops on the take could afford some of these sports cars.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.