Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast Thread/Fixing DCs,etc.

Old 09-15-02, 04:47 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 248
Dreamcast Thread/Fixing DCs,etc.

Hi.
I'm thinking of getting a few refurbed/broken DCs and trying to fix them myself. I'm no expert in soldering or anything,just your regular teenager. I've seen some manuals for sale/e-books on Ebay that claim to tell you how to fix all Dreamcast problems. What do you think? Can I do this? Are the e-books worth buying?
Any advice,suggestions,comments welcomed-and TIA!
cozmo is offline  
Old 09-15-02, 05:23 AM
  #2  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,392
why would you want to? probably cost the same to buy them used in working condition
IC_Freeze is offline  
Old 09-15-02, 03:33 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 3,137
don't know if there's a way to fix DC's without getting a new lens or laser mechanism. Thats the only way I can think of. My DC however is dying a slow death. if it doesn't work try playing with the system upside down, thats how I do it .
Outlaw is offline  
Old 09-15-02, 07:04 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Re: Dreamcast Thread/Fixing DCs,etc.

Originally posted by cozmo
Hi.
I'm thinking of getting a few refurbed/broken DCs and trying to fix them myself. I'm no expert in soldering or anything,just your regular teenager. I've seen some manuals for sale/e-books on Ebay that claim to tell you how to fix all Dreamcast problems. What do you think? Can I do this? Are the e-books worth buying?
Any advice,suggestions,comments welcomed-and TIA!
I think installing light kits into GBA's would probably be more in demand... but that takes some soldering skills & patience from what I hear.
sniper308 is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 02:24 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 248
Originally posted by IC_Freeze
why would you want to? probably cost the same to buy them used in working condition
Not exactly-used in working condition=$40 at the very least.
Used but broken=$5-$10.
cozmo is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 04:25 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: in the hidden place
Posts: 2,050
but probably the used but broken ones all/mostly require the new lens mechanism mentioned by outlaw. AFAIK, there is no way to repair those you must replace the whole unit and that puts you over the $40 used in working condition price...

My DC is dieing the slow death too I tried the upside down thing but mine don't like that. It only has problems reading certain discs (such as Jedi PB) so I have to take a working disc (sonic 1 or 2) and boot up the DC with it then pull it out and put in the second disc. Guess the lens just need warmed up

though no way am I letting my DC game collection go to waste! Got me a brand new $50 DC still sealed in the box just waiting to be played...
Shuki is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 04:31 AM
  #7  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Originally posted by Shuki
but probably the used but broken ones all/mostly require the new lens mechanism mentioned by outlaw. AFAIK, there is no way to repair those you must replace the whole unit and that puts you over the $40 used in working condition price...

My DC is dieing the slow death too I tried the upside down thing but mine don't like that. It only has problems reading certain discs (such as Jedi PB) so I have to take a working disc (sonic 1 or 2) and boot up the DC with it then pull it out and put in the second disc. Guess the lens just need warmed up

though no way am I letting my DC game collection go to waste! Got me a brand new $50 DC still sealed in the box just waiting to be played...

(off topic) nice to see you around Shuki!
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 10:04 AM
  #8  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 8,205
I saw a few used DCs at Babbages for $40 each the other day, and part of me wants to buy a couple. The day when I can no longer play House of the Dead 2, Rez, and Ikaruga will be a sad day indeed.
AndyCapps is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 03:41 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: in the hidden place
Posts: 2,050
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
(off topic) nice to see you around Shuki!
thanks a lot GP. it's really, really nice to be around
Shuki is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.