Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Robotech: Battlecry goes gold

Old 09-13-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait for this game

TDK's cel-shaded mech game for the PS2 and Xbox will ship later this month.

TDK Mediactive has announced that the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions of Robotech: Battlecry have gone gold and have been sent to manufacturing in preparation for retail release later this month. Robotech: Battlecry is a shooter that's based on the popular animated series. The game is set before the events depicted in Robotech: The Macross Saga and lets players assume the role of a new character, Jack, who fights the Zentraedi alongside Roy Fokker.
The GameCube version of the game is scheduled to ship in October, when TDK's Robotech: The Macross Saga for the Game Boy Advance is also scheduled for release. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the PS2 and Xbox versions of the game.
Old 09-13-02, 05:12 PM

It's about time! If I could only buy one more game this year, this would be it.

Now, if only some developer would take on a Transformers project...
Old 09-13-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It took them long enough - it looked like it was gold already at E3... maybe they were just waiting for the mood to be right.
Old 09-14-02, 06:24 PM

Being a Robotech fan, I'm dying to play this. How's it look and handle? Is it worth a purchase?
Old 09-16-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i read this today - sorry for the n00b question, but going gold = ready to be sold? i've never heard of it before
Old 09-16-02, 03:23 PM

It means that the game has finished testing and was approved by the various companies (Sony, Microsoft) and that it's now on it's way to be manufactured and delivered to stores.
Old 09-16-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sadly I dont think my store will be getting the boxed edition of this game so I may have to get a hookup from another store.
Old 09-26-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I got Robotech Battlecry at Circuit City today ( I spend so much money there I must account for at least 10% of their profits). Overall it's a very good game but I have one problem. Is it me or does the cel shading make everything look too "flat". It's like 2D characters are inserted in a 3D game environment.

I guess as time goes on the cel shading technique will get better as programers get used to the process.

Old 09-26-02, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Okay I got Robotech Battlecry at Circuit City today ( I spend so much money there I must account for at least 10% of their profits). Overall it's a very good game but I have one problem. Is it me or does the cel shading make everything look too "flat". It's like 2D characters are inserted in a 3D game environment.
Actually the cel shading is right for this game, as it looks like a cartoon! Cartoons are flat.
Old 09-26-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the cel shading is right for this game, as it looks like a cartoon! Cartoons are flat.
Yeah you're right. I'm just so acustomed to seeing fully 3D images in games. It's going to take a while to get used to.

Old 09-27-02, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I played it some more tonight... I've concluded that I hate it. I don't think I'll ever get used to the controls enough to enjoy it. It's not that I can't get through the levels - that's easy enough... it's just so frustratingly akward trying to move that thing around. Gunvalkrie has better controls and it's main complaint is that the controls suck.

I've stated more or less my first impression in another Robotech thread and not much has changed now that I've had more time with it. The graphics for Robotech are great... except for the cut scenes which are just stills with a voiceover. It's neat that they got some of the original American voice actors to do the voice work in this game, but overall the sound is pretty weak. It only has four channel surround - the center speaker and the sub are ignored. I guess they didn't bother giving the Xbox version a boost. The story and levels seem pretty lame to me. I wasn't ever a big fan of Robotech, but I used to watch it all the time anyway cuz there was nothing else on in the afternoons except Donahue and Kung-Fu theater (which I also would watch alot of). I love Anime, but I always thought Robotech was boring as hell. I used to think it was cuz I was too young to "get it", but I've watched it since I've 'grown up' and I still think it's boring. Most mech anime kinda leaves me flat (except for Nadesico and Gasaraki). I'm selling my copy.

Here's what I'd give this if I were actually doing a review.

Sound:
7 - Perfect recreation of the tv show, but weak on presentation

Graphics:
8 - Outstanding cell shading work makes it look just like the show, but boring levels and backgrounds and enemies.

Gameplay:
4 - The controls are craptacular. If they were better executed, the campaigns and gameplay would've been heaps better.

Overall Fun Factor:
4 (for non Robotech fans)
6 (for Robotech fans)
10 (for rabid Robotech fanboys because they'll like it no matter what)
Old 09-27-02, 09:36 AM

I agree with a lot of what you said Trigger. I've played it for a few hours over the last couple of nights and I just can't seem to get involved in the game. The controls aren't a huge issue for me- maybe the PS2 version handles better?

It also bothers me that the cutscenes are stills with a voiceover and nothing else. Why couldn't they at least use cut scenes from the show or at least mimic the show's opening credits?

Another thing that is irritating is that there seems to be little logic implented in the interaction between backgrounds and combat. Yes, I can destroy buildings on the streets of Macross yet I can't shoot down Zentraedi warships? I can only damage their cannons? Huh? I loved how in Starfighter I could bring down some of the larger ships. Why not do the same here? Am I just missing some secret way of doing this in Robotech: Battlecry?

Right now I'm only on the third stage so maybe these compalints about the game's shortcomings aren't justifiable just yet. Its just that every time I sit down to play I don't do so for long due to these (and other) lingering issues.

So my verdict: defintely rent before you buy this one. Even if you're a Robotech fan.