Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

It's Official: Microsoft owns Rare

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
If you wanted to go all software, wouldn't you want to hold on to your software assets and drop your hardware assest? So wouldn't Nintendo want to keep Rare, a SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, if it planned to concentrate soley on "SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?"

Look at Sega: They dropped hardware, kept software developers, and recently purchased additional software developers.
Well, it all depends on Nintendo's goals. If they have plans to go software only, (which I don't think is the case right now) Rare might turn them a much larger profit by selling them outright today then hold onto them for their software creation. Nintendo said that last year Rare only amounted to 1.5% of game sales for them. Getting a large lump of cash might look very appealing at that point. In addition, it's long been rumored that the reason Rare's games have been "good" is because of all the aid Nintendo has given them. If this is the case holding onto Rare would be seen more as a liability then an asset.

I think the main reason MS bought Rare was for the game characters. MS needs to diversify their games.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 09-25-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 12:57 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffdsmith

I think the main reason MS bought Rare was for the game characters. MS needs to diversify their games.
Definitely, and this is the one area where I could see the purchase paying off for MS. One of the main obtacles they have in selling consoles, is having no "brand name" games or characters next to Halo to sell systems.

Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker are all fairly big names.

One detriment is that Banjo and Conker are "cartoony" (conker was overlooked by many b/c of it's graphics even though it was a "mature" game) and might not go over well with some of the X-box audience, and at the same time many of the current fans of the series, i.e. nintendo fanboys, have been saying on other boards that they'll boycott Rare's future games. So at least a small chunk of the potential fan base won't buy an X-box for them, and a small chunk of X-box owners my be turned off by their "cartoony graphics."

Perfect Dark could be a huge hit, if it ends up being good, and stands to make the largest impact.
Old 09-25-02, 01:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mmconhea
In the consumer's and press's point of view. Business-wise, Nintendo makes more profit, with far less cost than Sony does on their gaming equipment.

Sony is bigger, but Nintendo's profit margin is outstanding. Sony's sales have steadily increased since, the PS2, but quartly losses have almost doubled

Who makes more money with less efort? Nintendo.

If you are talking about the GBA vs. PS2 I agree with you. If you are talking about the GCN vs. PS2, I'm afraid I'll need to see some data to back that up.
Old 09-25-02, 01:17 PM
Retired

I believe he was talking about Nintendo as a whole versus Sony's video game unit.

So that would be the GBA, GC (and older hardware still on the market) and Nintendo's first party games versus the PS2, PSone, and Sony's first party games.

As a whole, Nintendo makes more profit that Sony's video game division. In fact, as posted here I believe, they were named the number 1 Japanese company for the third straight year by a Japanese trade company (magazine?).

Of course much of their profit is due to the GBA, but they are also more efficient in hardware. Planetgamecube reported that they are making the GC for $100 now, so that's $50 profit on each one sold.

This is a common trend with Nintendo hardware, they reduce production costs drastically a year or so after launch and end up making a small profit, while the other companies are still using there hardware as a loss leader.

At any rate, that fact is that Nintendo's extremely profitable in their current for, and they have no reason to change that form by going software only on the console front.

They might be able to make a little more money going third party, but it probably wouldn't be a drastic improvement give that they would have to pay licensing fees to get their games published, and would lose all the licensing revenue they currently make from third parties putting games on the GC.

Also, Nintendo has never demonstrated that their main goal is "maximizing profits." Obviously their goal is to make as much money as possible, but they are a stubborn company and their have always put their philosophies ahead of the bottom line.

Examples:

Sticking with cartridges for the N64 when CDs would have made them more money.

Supporting their systems for at leat 5 years, even if that means launching a year after the competition.

Quite simply, they do things there way, regardless of the financial bottomline, and as long as they continue to bring in record profits year after year, I don't suspect that they'll find any reason to change their philosophies on the game market just in the hopes of bringing in some extra money.
Old 09-25-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Sticking with cartridges for the N64 when CDs would have made them more money.
Not to nitpick, but they stuck with carts because they charged their 3rd party developers $ to have them produced. They wanted to control production - CDs wouldn't have been more profitable because they've always - even going back to the NES - always managed to control the manufacturing of the game media so they can charge 3rd party developers extra money. If they didn't care about other companies pressing their own carts or cds or dvds, they would've gone with CDs at the time. Their bottom line has always been money. They've nickle and dimed alot of 3rd parties to the point that they've soiled those relationships. It's true that Nintendo has always done things their own way, but I think their motivations are the same as every other giant corporation and you would be fooling yourself if you thought otherwise.

As for them supporting their consoles for 5 or 6 years regardless of what other companies are doing - it is still financially motivated since it's cheaper for them to continue to support a 5 year old system than release a new one into the market. Blah - anyway...
Old 09-25-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trigger, why bother?
Old 09-25-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
Trigger, why bother?
I don't know - I swear that was the last time. Never again. I openly apoligize to everyone. peace.
Old 09-25-02, 07:11 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger
Not to nitpick, but they stuck with carts because they charged their 3rd party developers $ to have them produced.
That's as valid point. But CDs likely would have been a more profitable decision, as it was the clear direction that gaming was heading. For one, they new Square wanted the CD format and knew they could keep them exclusive by going to CDs.

As for them supporting their consoles for 5 or 6 years regardless of what other companies are doing - it is still financially motivated since it's cheaper for them to continue to support a 5 year old system than release a new one into the market. ...
True, but they also know that it hurts there profits because it costs them share of the gaming market because of the head start given to the competition.

Basically my point was from a smart business sense "maximizing profits" standpoint, it would have been logical for them to use CDs for the N64 and to release the N64 at the same time as the PSone and the GC at the same time as the PS2.

However, they are a stuborn company and are seem to put more importance in doing things their way than simply doing everything for the bottom line.

Using that logic, it's unlikely they'll change their business model and go third part while they are still bringing in record profits overall, just for the chance that they might increase their profits a little by going third party.
Old 09-25-02, 10:32 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...881605,00.html

Stampers say it's easier and quicker to develop for the XBox

When asked about developing for the Xbox, the Stampers replied that the Xbox has proven to be the easiest console to develop for by far and that they've been impressed by the development system's capabilities and by the support from Microsoft.

They also noted that moving forward, all of Rare's teams would focus on Xbox development. The Stampers said that with all the support from Microsoft it won't take Rare as much time to develop games as it has in the past. Fries noted that a great deal of production had been completed on Kameo before development on the Xbox started, which also may be the case for some of Rare's upcoming titles and may reduce development time considerably.
Also, Perfect Dark may be online over XBox Live

As for Perfect Dark, the new character model for Joanna Dark--which can be seen in the trailer that's linked below--is actually the in-game model. Dark's new, more anime-influenced look is what Rare has decided will represent the series moving forward. As for what the series will hold as it continues on the Xbox, the Stampers expressed interest in Xbox Live and what it could offer to the multiplayer components of an upcoming Perfect Dark game.
Old 09-25-02, 11:28 PM

The mere fact that many of the games have been in development so long should allow Rare to release a steady flow of games for the next 2 years.

No doubt the Xbox is probably the easiest to program for, however I remember a Rare interview in Nintendo Power (I know, high quality magazine) where some Rare guys were saying that the GC was the easiest. It's all a matter of who's paying the checks when it comes to these "statements". (Disclaimer: Of course this is my opinion, not fact.)
Old 09-26-02, 12:55 AM

Joanna seems to have gotten a lot younger

It'll be a miracle if Rare can get 2 games out in 2 years .

edit- (the second sentence was sarcasm for those who didn't catch it. don't shoot me I'm a fan of some of Rare's stuff)

Last edited by Outlaw; 09-26-02 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-26-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flay
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...881605,00.html

Stampers say it's easier and quicker to develop for the XBox

Also, Perfect Dark may be online over XBox Live
Holy crap - I take back what I said about Rare... I just checked their site and watched a trailer for Kameo - even though it looks a little "E for Everyone", it certainly looks amazing. I think I want it. I haven't been able to get the Perfect Dark trailer anywhere yet.

Here's some info lifted from rarenet.com:

Update: Wow. What a day. First we saw the release of Rare's last game for a Nintendo console. Then the mysterious disappearance of all the old files (including historical Scribes and Uncle Tusk columns, sniff) from their website. A friend of ours wrote to tell us that Kameo, as we reported last week, is not only running on Xbox hardware, but will be the first game released next year. Then, mid-afternoon, Microsoft made it all official: Rare is a Microsoft first party developer. Among the surprises: A dramatic new look for Perfect Dark and Banjo not only remaining in the Rare stable of licenses, but destined for an appearance on the Xbox. Shortly after Microsoft's announcements, the Rareware website was updated with its new look, a press release and a letter from Tim and Chris Stamper. Ironically enough, there's also a version of the "Rare on Xbox" teaser trailer presented in Quicktime format....

The expected announcement of Microsoft's acquisition of Rare at X02 in Seville was not without surprises. We honestly didn't expect to see a Banjo title being planned so soon. We were pleased to hear that Rare has retained -- and in some cases, is planning a game based on -- their independently developed licenses, such as Sabrewulf and Blast Corps. Do you have any idea how cool Blast Corps would be on the Xbox? Oh man. It would be so awesome.
Old 09-26-02, 06:22 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Holy crap - I take back what I said about Rare... I just checked their site and watched a trailer for Kameo - even though it looks a little "E for Everyone", it certainly looks amazing. I think I want it.
Yah, Kameo is not even my type of game and I'm considering it. After watching the trailer, it seems to be dripping with personality and originality. The singing tigers had me rolling.

Here is the trailer for those who haven't seen it yet:

ftp://209.164.21.30/pub/kameo/kameo_sep02.mov
Old 09-26-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rare/MS have alot riding on Perfect Dark. That game needs to be an AAA game! Also Banjo needs to kick some major ass too! Hell I'm 22 and love Banjo! I was so glad to hear that Nintendo lost Banjo. XBOX needs at least one cartoony brand-character! Or maybe two, or three.....

How can XBOX go wrong if they have those kick @$$ mature games AND have cartoony platform games? XBOX can now target two markets. And they would be taking a piece of each of PS2 pie and GC pie.

Plus Rare can product BlastCorp, Kameo and Conker. Also I think XBOX LIVE is going to be hot! Overall XBOX is looking good. Also you know what will dominate next year....HALO 2!!!!!
Old 09-26-02, 08:39 AM

Holy crap - I take back what I said about Rare... I just checked their site and watched a trailer for Kameo - even though it looks a little "E for Everyone", it certainly looks amazing. I think I want it.
Makes you think doesn't?
Old 09-26-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trigger: welcome aboard the bandwagon. If you end up liking the next Banjo Kazooie game, I'll never let you live it down.
Old 09-26-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Here's an interview with Ed Fries and Chris Stamper:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...php?1&id=81082
Old 09-26-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
Trigger: welcome aboard the bandwagon. If you end up liking the next Banjo Kazooie game, I'll never let you live it down.
Never been interested in that game, but I'd be willing to try a new BK game. I've been wanting to pick up Blinx since E3. Some platformers appeal to me and some don't.
Old 09-26-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone actually got confirmed news of a possible Blastcorps on XBox?

Chris
Old 09-26-02, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Chris_D
Has anyone actually got confirmed news of a possible Blastcorps on XBox?

Chris
No, there is no word.

(Blast Corps is pretty much tied for one of my favorite games of all time, I'm staying on top of it. )

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong...
Old 09-26-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blastcorps is my favourite Rare game, and really the only franchise I was/am concerned about with re: to Rare moving to xbox. On another msgboard a guy stated outright that there would NEVER be a sequel due to poor sales of the first. Naturally I'd love to see him proven wrong!

Chris
Old 09-26-02, 08:29 PM
Retired

Blast Corps is definitely my favorite Rare game. I'm sad to see it go to the X-box as I don't own one.

If Rare makes another Blast Corps I would consider buying an X-box just for it and Halo 1 & 2, but it would have to be sometime in the future after another price drop.
Old 09-29-02, 09:20 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Blast Corps is definitely my favorite Rare game. I'm sad to see it go to the X-box as I don't own one.

If Rare makes another Blast Corps I would consider buying an X-box just for it and Halo 1 & 2, but it would have to be sometime in the future after another price drop.
Well, get ready to buy an XBox Josh.

Tim Stamper confirmed at least 1 new Blast Corps is in the works. This was taken from an interview with the Stamper brothers and Ed Fries. The Greek translation kind of sucks:

Who from franchises that the Rare does possess in portfolio her, you intend you develop in new publications on the Xbox?

Tim Stamper: With a word. .. all! Already we have made report in the Kameo, we confirmed the news Perfect Dark – for which we will have publication to demonstration in E3 2003 – and the Banjo Kazooie. We will create at least one still title in styl the Conker’s Bad Fur Day, titles based in the Blast Corps and in the Killer Instinct, but also two or three original titles, which we are not still in place we reveal.
Old 09-29-02, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Flay
Tim Stamper confirmed at least 1 new Blast Corps is in the works.
So of a @#$%@. Why lord oh why?
Old 09-29-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
So of a @#$%@. Why lord oh why?
You said a couple of posts up that you liked the original. What warranted this response to the news that another game is forthcoming?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.