Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX Live Beta - I'm finally LIVE!

Old 09-11-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
XBOX Live Beta - I'm finally LIVE!

I'm finally LIVE. Last night I recieved my kit, hooked it up, plugged in all my info using the controller, and typed in my subscription code (which looks like a windows 2000 serial number). I logged to the Xbox Live Beta, and tried to find someone to play re-volt with. Nobody seemed to be on re-volt at midnight so I played by myself for about 10 minutes. So I switched to NFL Fever (A game which I still dislike) and played with some guy in Florida, with 5 minute quarters the game lasted about 35 minutes. There didn't seem to be any lag in the game. Talking on the Xbox live network did have some lag , it was about two seconds at most. Not bad for saying,"Good Tackle", "Sweet Play",and "NO WAY!" (during interceptions). The funny thing is I noticed how much I don't talk while playing, but it was still pretty cool.

-Lucky
Old 09-11-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll pay you $500 for it.
Old 09-11-02, 03:08 PM

I couldn't do that to you, cause it's not worth $500...but it is cool for $50 If you're serious e-mail me, and I'll see what I can do for you.

Last edited by goLUCKY; 09-11-02 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine this week also.
I think it will be a success but they need to support it more. 2 Beta (and I do mean beta games) to tide us over (I heard NFL2k3 works OOTB) until November?
Revolt is mildly amusing but it looks exactly like the Dreamcast game (no graphical improvements) and hard has heck for me to control. At least you can practice a track. You have to learn to play Fever 2003 online, no practice mode.

Where they really dropped the ball is not allowing system link games to be playable through Live (maybe this will change). I can only imagine what it would be like to be playing Halo and THPS3 over the Live network instead of the buggy Gamespy tunnel.

I'm very concerned that 3rd party developers won't support the "Live" license and there will be games that will be online for PS2 but not Xbox (ie Madden).

They also should have thrown in a beta version of UT2003. If you want to test a subscription network, why bother with racing and football games? Give us deahtmatch and CTF!

The voice mic works very well. I was online with people from Seattle, LA and North Carolina with no lag in voice communications.

I also didn't like giving my CC information after I already paid for service. Are they going to warn you when your subscription runs up or happily charge you another $50/year?

So far, I'm very happy but it is going to get thin before the launch. Fever and ReVolt gets boring real fast.

Doug
Old 09-11-02, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Doug Schiller

I also didn't like giving my CC information after I already paid for service. Are they going to warn you when your subscription runs up or happily charge you another $50/year?
I think the CC info was for premium content only. I can't see them automatically renewing everyone when their year runs out.
Old 09-11-02, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by mrglass
I think the CC info was for premium content only. I can't see them automatically renewing everyone when their year runs out.
Looks like they will automatically charge your credit card come november 1.

Note At the end of your 12-month Xbox Live subscription, your credit card will be charged automatically for an additional 12 months at the then current rate. If you wish to avoid future charges, you must cancel your subscription when it expires.

Info
Old 09-11-02, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by golucky
Looks like they will automatically charge your credit card come november 1.
I stand corrected...that really, really sucks.
Old 09-11-02, 05:29 PM

I also noticed a one dollar charge on my credit card, which is supposed to be some sort of test that it's a valid credit card. Supposedly that will get credited back. I'll let you know as I find out.

Note: I have read from several different sources that the beta testers will be getting another game to test next month. Hopefully, It's Unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-02, 08:00 PM

Location: Williamsport, PA -- Home of Little Leage World Series
I am awaiting mine. Shipped confimation says it left on 9/9. Wonder where it comes from? My boy and I were just debating on putting on Ebay. It is a tough call. So.....tempting......must....not..give......in....$$$$

Got my linksys 4 port up already, so now just have to decide....does beta stay or does it go?
Old 09-12-02, 12:39 AM

I signed up but still have not received any notice, guess I'll be waiting until November... Unless anyone would like to help me out
and sell me thiers =)
Old 09-12-02, 08:59 AM
RVP

Originally posted by thadius
I am awaiting mine. Shipped confimation says it left on 9/9. Wonder where it comes from? My boy and I were just debating on putting on Ebay. It is a tough call. So.....tempting......must....not..give......in....$$$$

Got my linksys 4 port up already, so now just have to decide....does beta stay or does it go?
Where did you order it from and get a confirmation number? I though MS just sent these out to random people that signed up.

You also may want to check out this thread Ebay Xbox live beta . it seems that ebay is canceling auctions for the beta kit.
Old 09-12-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine on Tuesday - played some guy in NFL Fever (a game I've never played before). I had a hard time getting the buttons straight since I'm used to Madden - his first play was an 80-yard TD bomb (uh-oh). My first offensive play was an interception (sh-t!). I was ready to cry. But then I picked him off for a TD, and eventually won the game.

A friend of mine got his kit last night, we tried to play NFL2K3, but we kept getting kicked off of it because our connection was "poor" - don't know what was causing that. But we did stay on and talk w/no delay whatsoever via the headset - beats paying the phone company!

So far (in my limited experience) I think this will be great - I'm not used to playing online because most online games are in genres I don't really care for - but sports are right up my alley.

Daryl
Old 09-12-02, 05:33 PM

I am so psyched for this..

Can't wait, been playing 2k3 minus LIVE lately and it's cool, better graphics than madden and that espn 5.1 sound is just awesome. BUt yeah good to hear there is not much lag..... Can't wait for unreal though.
Old 09-12-02, 05:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

I may end up getting this if Ghost Recon is as good or better than SOCOM (graphically I'm sure it'll be better).

Is the mic going to be open or do you have to press a button to activate it?
Old 09-12-02, 10:16 PM

Location: Williamsport, PA -- Home of Little Leage World Series
Well. Decided not to be greedy and registered tonight. WOW. Played NFL Fever 2k3 with someone and it was pretty cool.

GamerTag: XMasterBT

So far it rules!
Old 09-12-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daryl
My first offensive play was an interception (sh-t!). I was ready to cry.
Thats why I love online gaming. Knowing youre pissing a real live person off.
Old 09-13-02, 09:03 AM

hooked up mine for the first time last night, I was very impressed. I demoed it to some friends and they were totally excited too. There was no lag times for us. Kudos to MicroSoft!!!!!
Old 09-13-02, 09:56 AM

Day 3, and it's still kickin' arse... I am always getting whooped on in football, but I keep playing. The other night I played with six guys and one of the guys had his volume way to loud, and it made it hard to hear the other guys. One of the guys had a dog barking in the background, and then his MOM told him to go to bed .... That stuff is just funny to me.

-Lucky
GamerTag = goLUCKY