Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DOOM III is coming, & I need a new video card

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought he had a GF3 too I assumed the MX was a mistake..

Chris
Old 09-12-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*cough*she*cough*
Old 09-12-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by squidget
your right. i checked last night geforce2 twinview
so sorry about the confusion. i really don't want to upgrade twice, if I upgrade now I'm probably not going to upgrade when doom III comes out.
so far, from all the good press, and the this board im leaning towards the 9700. ill probably hold off till after christmas when i upgrade the rest of the pc.
I assumed it was an MX and wasn't paying attention to the 3 part.

Um... If you're a hardware tweaker at all, then you might like to buy an 8500LE for under 100 bucks. It's a great card and it'll play anything that comes out between now and Doom. Then by the time Doom comes out the 9700 will be around 100 bucks - bam - there's 200 bucks spent and you have 2 cards to show for it (which is cool when you eventually realize you have lots of extra parts, you end up building a 2nd Frankenstein PC that you can have friends over for LAN parties or something. I have 4 Frankenstein PCs and none of them cost me more than 400 bucks each. Anyway - if you buy a 9700 now, you're paying 350 - that's 150 bucks more than you would pay if you bought 2 cards.

Since Doom 3 is a ways off - it wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheaper card now and the 8500 LE is a super bargain. The 9700 is a fantastic card, but since you're going to wait anyway - might as well put it off until the last minute... Worst case scenario - the 9700 doesn't drop 250 bucks by the time Doom3 comes out... it'll surely drop 100 bucks and you aren't losing anything. My math makes sense to me.
Old 09-12-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
*cough*she*cough*
yep, i'm a chick for proof see here
Old 09-12-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I assumed it was an MX and wasn't paying attention to the 3 part.

Um... If you're a hardware tweaker at all, then you might like to buy an 8500LE for under 100 bucks. It's a great card and it'll play anything that comes out between now and Doom. Then by the time Doom comes out the 9700 will be around 100 bucks - bam - there's 200 bucks spent and you have 2 cards to show for it (which is cool when you eventually realize you have lots of extra parts, you end up building a 2nd Frankenstein PC that you can have friends over for LAN parties or something. I have 4 Frankenstein PCs and none of them cost me more than 400 bucks each. Anyway - if you buy a 9700 now, you're paying 350 - that's 150 bucks more than you would pay if you bought 2 cards.

Since Doom 3 is a ways off - it wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheaper card now and the 8500 LE is a super bargain. The 9700 is a fantastic card, but since you're going to wait anyway - might as well put it off until the last minute... Worst case scenario - the 9700 doesn't drop 250 bucks by the time Doom3 comes out... it'll surely drop 100 bucks and you aren't losing anything. My math makes sense to me.
i've been known to tweak abit. I was following the math pretty well that almost comes out the same. i gotcha
this weekend i plan to price the 9700 and the 8500 and see if your math works for me.

I might get the standard 8500 ( there is still a rebate some where for $50 bucks off, plus my discount will make it under 100)
i like the specs, and i can pull your frankenstien method come next year.
hmmm
choices, choices
Old 09-12-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
www.newegg.com

8500LE = $100