Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has there ever been a bad Mario game?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has there ever been a bad Mario game?

I'm thinking about this, bored out of mind actually, and it's occurred to me, that NoA has never released a "bad" Mario game. They've always been fun games.

From Mario Bros ----> Mario Sunshine

How does NoA do it, when so many other franchises fail?
Old 09-04-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mario Is Missing?

Oh, and Donkey Kong could be considered the first "Mario" game.
Old 09-04-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It has to have Mario in the title IMHO to be considered a Mario game, so I dont' count Donkey Kong, but that was a GREAT game as well.
Old 09-04-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There might have been a bad spin-off or 2 but all the games in the main series have been amazing. Hell, most of the spin-offs have been great too -- Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc.
Old 09-04-02, 11:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you don't count the "side" Mario games (non-platformers), some of which sucked, you are correct. I would say the streak goes back to Donkey Kong rather than Mario Brothers.

The reason for this: Miyamoto. He's been involved in each and every game, giving them his own singular and unique vision.
Old 09-04-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Mario gets Diarrhea" was a pretty crappy game.

A little to much running IMO.
Old 09-04-02, 03:37 PM

There was one Mario title that appeared on the Phillips CDI. I think the title was called Hotel Mario. Nintendo licensed Mario and Zelda to Phillips when the CD add-on for the SNES didn't pan out. They were all crappy titles.
Old 09-04-02, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by NeonGlow
There was one Mario title that appeared on the Phillips CDI. I think the title was called Hotel Mario. Nintendo licensed Mario and Zelda to Phillips when the CD add-on for the SNES didn't pan out. They were all crappy titles.
Wowsers, I remember the Link title, but not the Mario one. Nintendo loaning out their star property. Those were the days.
Old 09-04-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hotel Mario rocked!!! I didn't care too much for Mario 64. Nor did I like a 64 Zelda game but that is just me. I couldn't get used to the controller. Love the improvements for the GC. I hated Mario Andretti Racing for the SNES, I guess that is a Mario game I couldn't stand.
Old 09-04-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember one lame Mario game for SNES, something like Mario or Luigi travel through time. But to be fair, I think it was aimed at the little kids (not to mention it was supposed to be educational).
Old 09-04-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Andalusia
I remember one lame Mario game for SNES, something like Mario or Luigi travel through time. But to be fair, I think it was aimed at the little kids (not to mention it was supposed to be educational).
Yeah, that's Mario is Missing. It wasn't made by Nintendo.
Old 09-04-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may catch some grief for this, but I never really cared for Mario Paint. Nor did I ever really care for Mario Clash on Virtual Boy.
Old 09-04-02, 06:06 PM

hotel mario was pretty bad.

im glad im not the only one who didnt like mario paint.
Old 09-04-02, 06:37 PM

I had quite a bit of fun with Mario Paint at the time. Perhaps it was the novelty of it though. It has little staying power next to the classics.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 09-04-02 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 06:44 PM

does the PC count too? Mario Teaches typing was bad, as well as Mario's Game Gallery.
Old 09-04-02, 07:12 PM
Retired

Just the spinoffs.

Everything in the main series (SMB 1, 2, 3, Mario Land 1 &2, Super Mario World 1 & 2, Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine) has been superb.

They're the main games that have kept me a gamer for so long.
Old 09-04-02, 07:17 PM
zig

By the way.. Super Mario Bros. 2 was Doki Doki Panic in Japan, but for the US they put the Mario characters in place of the original ones. Most of the game stayed the same though. Miyamoto had very little if anything to do with it, although it was still a Nintendo game, so he probably had SOMETHING to do with it Damn guy gets around.
Old 09-04-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I gyess Mario games hardly suck because they stick to formula. While the game evolves, and his abilities may change the spirit remains the same. Its almost an unbeatable formula that most other platformers have yet to achieve.
Old 09-04-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the N64 mario game sucked and I didn't like any of the NES or SNES games. I think Donkey Kong was good and I think Mario Sunshine is pretty good (even though it's a little cutesy). I hated Mario Kart and I thought Luigi's Mansion was garbage (what little I played it). That's just my opinion... I don't think there has ever been a bad Sonic game. I think I've played most of them - from the Game Gear one and the Genesis ones (including Sonic SPinball) to the Dreamcast ones. You gotta like Sonic though. Same for Mario - you gotta be into that to like it. I never liked the whole jump and hit the box so the flower comes down and you get bigger and then go into the tube thing blah blah - I've even played a few handheld mario games that weren't all that. I can see how people can like them, but I don't think Mario is above opinions... you all seem to think Mario is a good game is a fact - sure, it's good for what it is, but not everyone likes that. As a non-fan, I guess my opinion in this thread is more or less meaning less... Carry on!
Old 09-04-02, 09:20 PM

paper mario was bad, and also that one snes game (where is mario? or mario is missing...)? is pretty bad too...
Old 09-04-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I thought the N64 mario game sucked and I didn't like any of the NES or SNES games. I think Donkey Kong was good and I think Mario Sunshine is pretty good (even though it's a little cutesy). I hated Mario Kart and I thought Luigi's Mansion was garbage (what little I played it). That's just my opinion... I don't think there has ever been a bad Sonic game. I think I've played most of them - from the Game Gear one and the Genesis ones (including Sonic SPinball) to the Dreamcast ones. You gotta like Sonic though. Same for Mario - you gotta be into that to like it. I never liked the whole jump and hit the box so the flower comes down and you get bigger and then go into the tube thing blah blah - I've even played a few handheld mario games that weren't all that. I can see how people can like them, but I don't think Mario is above opinions... you all seem to think Mario is a good game is a fact - sure, it's good for what it is, but not everyone likes that. As a non-fan, I guess my opinion in this thread is more or less meaning less... Carry on!
and you call me a trouble maker
Old 09-04-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a non-fan, I guess my opinion in this thread is more or less meaning less...
There's no reason why you're opinion shouldn't count...unless of course you're a rabid fanboy who hates Nintendo. The question isn't whether you like the Mario games or not though, it's whether or not there has been a bad one. Maybe they're not your thing but do you think the Mario games are bad? That is the question.
Old 09-04-02, 09:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Kellehair
Maybe they're not your thing but do you think the Mario games are bad? That is the question.

Apparently you didn't read his message?
Old 09-04-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never liked the whole jump and hit the box so the flower comes down and you get bigger and then go into the tube thing blah blah
Sounds to me like he doesn't like the concept. That doesn't mean they're bad games though.
Old 09-04-02, 11:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think Donkey Kong was good and I think Mario Sunshine is pretty good

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.