Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live and ISDN

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelphia's gone? What the? Who have I been using for the past 4 months!?
Old 08-13-02, 07:14 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Shawn

And, Microsoft knows they aren't going to get all 1.9 million people...I remember reading they expected about 150,000 people in the first year, can anyone confirm or deny that?
Obviously not in the first year. I just meant that's the possible user base Microsoft will be drawing from if XBox Live started today. The number will be over 2 million by November 15th.

They better be ready for a high demand. Over 100,000 people signed up for the Beta Test.
Old 08-13-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My ISDN router uses CAT-5 connections. When I click on something that needs to send or receive to/from the internet, it automatically dials my ISP and connects (takes about 2-3 seconds). The router is set up to use 1 64k channel until the bandwidth requirements hit a certain threshold (which I define). At that point, the second channel connects and the two are bonded together for a 128k digital connection.

'Digital' is the key word here. Browsing the web with 1 ISDN channel is a LOT better than a 'fast' dial-up 53k connection.

Although it's being contradicted here and there, Microsoft initially said that Xbox Live needed 64k up and 64k down, with a fast ping. The ping is big. Dial-up users typically get 200-300 ms pings. Cable and DSL users get more like 100 ms pings. ISDN gets around 100 ms pings. Of course, the location of the server and how many hops it is from your machine to that server makes the numbers fluctuate.

So, if I have 128k up and down and a 100 ms ping, it seems like it should work.

When I play Medal of Honor online, my router will drop the 2nd channel because it doesn't need it. 1 64k channel is enough. IMO, what your getting out of your 'broadband' connections with PC online gaming is a good ping. The bandwidth requirements aren't THAT big.

Other than the voice communication, I think I'm fine. The voice comm might be the part that blows me out of the water.
Old 08-13-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kellehair, what are you proposing.. that the cable companies are going to go out of business leaving us with no cable nor broadband?
Nope. It costs money to implement broadband internet though and money is one cable companies don't have right now. I think the spread of cable internet will be slowed. I do believe I said that in my 2nd post.

And, Microsoft knows they aren't going to get all 1.9 million people...I remember reading they expected about 150,000 people in the first year, can anyone confirm or deny that?
Is their estimate really that low? I had no idea. I guess that is reasonable though.

Yep. Aint no way that new fangled broadbanner thingy gonna work. Ima stick to my dixie cups and string.
As I said before, I already have broadband and have had it for the past 4 years. I am in the extreme minority though.

Adelphia's gone? What the? Who have I been using for the past 4 months!?
I'll be interested to see who you're using 4 months from now. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59828,00.html
Old 08-13-02, 12:31 PM
Shawn

Quick Question: How can I test my ping?
Old 08-13-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shawn
Quick Question: How can I test my ping?
You can't without a server address. In windows you go to run, type cmd and then type ping (address) [ex. ping www.dvdtalk.com pings dvdtalk] and it'll test it for you.
Old 08-13-02, 12:40 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Icculus

You can't without a server address. In windows you go to run, type cmd and then type ping (address) [ex. ping www.dvdtalk.com pings dvdtalk] and it'll test it for you.
Hmm...well that didn't work, but I tried "ping www.dvdtalk.com" and it worked...thanks anyways!
Old 08-13-02, 06:48 PM
Banned

Kellehair, you have broadband and are in the extreme minority...

you are also technically in the extreme minority of the population for owning a gamecube.

you are however not in the extreme minority for advocating piracy. it seems everyone does it these days, but not everyone opens a thread about it in the videogame forum ...
-Jim
Old 08-13-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you really see giving a copy of a game to my sister as piracy? That's just nuts IMO. I can't belive software companies could even expect people to buy multiple copies for one family.

Don't cry for me though. I got 2 helpful email responses from 2 nice DVDTalkers. Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-02, 09:13 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Kellehair

Is their estimate really that low? I had no idea. I guess that is reasonable though.
The estimate for launch is 10,000 to 100,000. They are launching with a capacity for 600,000.

150,000 is probably a pretty conservative estimate for the end of 2002 considering 100,000 signed up for the Beta and MS will be advertising XBox Live to death between launch and Christmas.
Old 08-13-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently on 56k, but I will have broadband at the start of October. I'm glad XBL will be strictly broadband, I can't stand lag. Broadband just won't be available to me for another month or so, as it will be in a lot of new areas.