Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Idea for new Sim game

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Idea for new Sim game

I just came up with this, don't know if anything like it has been done, but how about SIM Cop? It would be a first person type game, or maybe 3rd person... pretty much just do the job of a cop...you can run radar, pull people over, get different calls and investigate...anything. It could even take you through the academy all the way up the ranks, or go to different cities that have different/more crime. I think it would be kind of fun.
Old 07-30-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Virtua Cop?
You kids today... no sense of videogame history.
Old 07-30-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
Like Virtua Cop?
You kids today... no sense of videogame history.

Um, nothing like virtua cop... I have both of those on Saturn... I'm talking about an actual sim game that is very open ended, almost like GTA3 but for the good side.

Hmmm, maybe not all that much like GTA... you can decide to sit all day and run radar if you choose, and you'd have to fill out paper work (it'd be automatically completed, but would take up time)... you can drive around, or get out and check out stores... It would be on the lines of Sim City how time would really count, and you work your shifts.

Last edited by JTH182; 07-30-02 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the developers would really have to jazz up the life of a cop to make the game the least bit interesting. I think it could be made fun but then you run in to the issue of going too far. For example, most cops never even fire a gun but that's exactly what most gamers will want to do.
Old 07-30-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
Well, the developers would really have to jazz up the life of a cop to make the game the least bit interesting. I think it could be made fun but then you run in to the issue of going too far. For example, most cops never even fire a gun but that's exactly what most gamers will want to do.
Yeah, I know... I was thinking of it because my brother is a cop, and my friend is at the academy... My game would be complete sim though...if you are in a low crime town, you don't fire your weapon.
Old 07-30-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a realistic sim would be boring because a cop's job is boring. Most cops don't do all that much. It's not that they're lazy or anything it's just that there's not all that much to do. Pulling over speeders or standing post at the local high school for an 8 hour shift must be boring.
Old 07-30-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JTH182
Um, nothing like virtua cop... I have both of those on Saturn... I'm talking about an actual sim game that is very open ended, almost like GTA3 but for the good side.
Even though I was only kidding Sega could pretty much make that leap with the title considering the difference between GTA2 and GTA3.
Old 07-30-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict

Even though I was only kidding Sega could pretty much make that leap with the title considering the difference between GTA2 and GTA3.
Oh, well in that case I could see that. I know some people would think it's boring, but so would a lot of people playing The Sims... it's all a matter of taste. It's just something I think would be interesting to see a company try to pull off.
Old 07-31-02, 12:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like Sierra's Police Quest series from back in the day, except open-ended. Anyone remember ol' Jesse Bains?
Old 07-31-02, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Sounds like Sierra's Police Quest series from back in the day, except open-ended. Anyone remember ol' Jesse Bains?
I played one of them and remember hitting some crazy guy near a lake with the baton.
Old 07-31-02, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by J-Dubya

I played one of them and remember hitting some crazy guy near a lake with the baton.
Crazy naked guy, if I remember correctly.

...I shot him, then got a stern talking to by retired police chief Daryl F. Gates.
Old 07-31-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about instead of simulating an individual cop, you simulate a police department? Your role is of commissioner or sherrif or whatever.

You try to keep your town safe, and things pop up, sort of like the disasters from simcity. You have the ability to "jump" into any cop on the force and take over. A high speed chase breaks out after a quickie mart robbery, you jump into the cop at hand and take the conflict to its resolution. Throw in a crime database and you can jump into a detective to solve some mysteries.

But the bulk of the game would be keeping the town happy, your job safe, and your cops content.
Old 07-31-02, 03:41 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I think a sim cop game COULD be fun, the setting would have to be in a mjor city like Las Vegas, and then there would be a lot of action, you could pull people over, high speed chases, nd donut shops. But it would have to have different path like you could be a crooked cop and bust people for drugs and then do and sell them your self, or you could be the good hero cop and just help the community out, I wish it would be done.

On a side note I would much rather have a serial killer game though.
Old 07-31-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And you could power up at the donut shop! :-)