Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has anyone's PS2 just... stopped?

Old 07-28-02, 03:16 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Has anyone's PS2 just... stopped?

I've had my PS2 since the release date... and I use it rarely. I didn't play my first game on it until last Christmas when Devil May Cry, Agent Under Fire, and Final Fantasy X were all in my posession. But I still didn't put in a great deal of game time. I watch more movies on it then I play... but I also have a DVD player...

I haven't used my PS2 in probably a week and a half. I always turn the power source off when I'm done with. Anyways, last night I turn the power source on and power up the PS2. I got dead air. I tried a game, DVD, and nothing. It's dead.

Has anyone elses just stopped?
Old 07-28-02, 03:40 PM
Banned

Does the start screen come on at all?
Old 07-28-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you just mean the DVD-ROM drive stopped working, yes that's happened to many people.
Old 07-28-02, 04:59 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

nothing happens... i get dead air
Old 07-28-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrobinson
nothing happens... i get dead air
Does the power indicator light come on? If not, it's an issue with the power supply.
Old 07-28-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

Does the power indicator light come on? If not, it's an issue with the power supply.
yes the more information the better-

if the light comes on however the tv stll acts like it is getting no signal then that might be one problem.

if the light turns on and the dvd rom drives seems to spin but the ps2 is not outputing to the tv so that you still get dead air that is another thing.

I assume you checked the obvious- power cord pulled part way out of the wall, av cable part way out of the back of the ps2 or the back of the tv
Old 07-29-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happend to my friend last week. All of a sudden he was getting disc read errors then nothing. Good thing he paid 29.99 for the protection plan at CompUSA when he bought it. He took it in and they gave him a brand new one right off the shelf.
Old 07-29-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry - side question - is it better to turn off the power switch when you're done with? that would seem to make more sense, but one of my friends told me it's like a computer and you could leave it inactive and just activate it when you use it.
Old 08-01-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^

anyone??? i'm sure someone has to know... I can't really find this info anywhere.
Old 08-01-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RJainMJ
Sorry - side question - is it better to turn off the power switch when you're done with? that would seem to make more sense, but one of my friends told me it's like a computer and you could leave it inactive and just activate it when you use it.
From what I've heard it's fine to leave it on standby unless you're not planning to use it for an extended period of time.